syn6 issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

syn6 issues

So I've been having issues with my setup since buying my 11 RZ4. Been working with chpthril in PMs, moving to here since his box is full. My sub kept cutting in/out throughout the day. I was all set to have dealer swap syn6 for htx6. Removed the syn6 and decided to measure impedance on sub wires (2.3ohms). hmmm syn6 bridge mode chn5/6 rated at 4ohms. Also if I take the htx6 I lose my sub volume control. So I told the dealer to swap the sub with a newer 4ohm model, XS-10FA. I have no idea what size my current box is and maybe a 12" would be better. If I'm not mistaken the syn6 can drive sub bridged 600w@4ohm.

thoughts?

Wetsounds xs-12 in a ported box is better than the IB 10" . A lot more boom for your $$ if you are staying with the syn-6.

Comment

So it sounds like the sub was bridged on the amp, when you got the boat. Is the woofer indeed placed in a small sealed enclosure?

A bridged 2 ohm load will certainly pose an issue for the Syn-6. So, lets presume that the bridged 2 ohm is the root issue and the woofer and amp are fine. and lets also presume the woofer IS NOT in an enclosure

A) wire the 2 ohm woofer to chnl 5 so it receives the available 300W rms. Simple, done costs nothing and the performance from the woofer will be good. Even with a bridged 4 ohm 10fa, you will not be unleashing the full 600W rms of the Syn-6. The extra head room of a 600w potential is a plus, but its not going to be a seat of the pants difference.

B) swap current 10fa 4 ohm DVC for a single 4 ohm SVC and bridge the woofer. IMO, if si was going to spend money on a woofer and had an amp that would supply up to 600W rms, I would upgrade to 12" woofer and build an enclosure. More bass and deeper bass from the same amp. Call the woofer purchase a wash as you are faced with buying a woofer any way.

C) Buy a 12" woofer and mono amp setup. Leave the Syn-6 dedicated to the 3 pair of in-boats. A little bit more of an investment over B, but you end up with an in-boat upgrade and sub woofer upgrade for just the cost of a woofer and mono amp.

Now, if someone has build an enclosure for the 10fa, there id suggest you upgrade with either option B or C above.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by kodiak ak View Post
        Wetsounds xs-12 in a ported box is better than the IB 10" . A lot more boom for your $$ if you are staying with the syn-6.
        Its better than 10 in a sealed, or a 10 in a ported or a sealed 12 Comparing a 10IB to a ported 12" is like a Subaru Brat to an F250 towing cpacity
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

there is definitely an enclosure as I cannot see the back of the sub from the bow compartment. The dealer and I are splitting the cost. I might be able to cutout enough to squeeze in the 12 into the existing enclosure. Not sure about porting.

C) Buy a 12" woofer and mono amp setup. Leave the Syn-6 dedicated to the 3 pair of in-boats. A little bit more of an investment over B, but you end up with an in-boat upgrade and sub woofer upgrade for just the cost of a woofer and mono amp.
          how so on in-boat upgrade?

Comment

Bridge the bow pair on chnls 1/2 and 3/4 for up to 200W rms to each. Wire the aft pairs in parallel on chnls 5 and 6 for 155W to each speaker. Basically, you double the wattage to each in-boat.

Comment

questions

3 amp solution
              - syn6 drives all in boats as suggested. I assume I have xs-65s rated (RMS Watts 60 Watts/Peak Watts 120 Watts) so is 200w RMS ok? wiring/settings diagram
              - assuming ht1 to drive 4ohm sub regardless of model chosen. this would require running new power/ground to new amp or running all new large gauge to new distribution at amp location

OEM solution
              I have 2 bow and 4 aft
              - get replacement 4ohm 10", wired to chn5, xover low, mono 305W @ 4ohm
              - wire left inboats in parallel
              - wire right inboats in parallel
              -- left side bridged chnls 1/2 155W @ 4ohm
              -- right side bridged chnls 3/4 155W @ 4ohm

pro60s remain on syn2 2x200W @ 4ohm
              Last edited by kmkramer71; 06-16-2016, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Unless your boat was ordered stereo delete, it would have come OEM with the XS-650

With the HT-1, you want a single 2 ohm voice coil or dual 4 ohm voice coil woofer. The HT-1 will deliver 600W rms with a 2 ohm load

If you get a new 4 ohm 10fa, you'd want to bridge it on the Syn-6 chnls 5/6. in-boat speaker stay as is.

Comment

sorry I'm starting to confuse myself even.
                  I'm pushing for the 4ohm replacement 10" at this point.Can I not bridge all the inboats across ch 1-4 like I proposed above? I don't need fading on the inboats because the fading in between inboats and the towers

Comment

I not bridge all the inboats across ch 1-4 like I proposed above?
                    No need to, no advantage. Leave bows on 1 and 2 and the main cabin on 3 and 4 just as they should be now.

Comment

syn6 back in. have an extra black wire that was not in my picture, perhaps it was stuck under the amp?

in boats wired the way they were
                      chnl 1/2 bow 3.9ohm
                      chnl 3/4 aft 2.6ohm
                      chnl 5 sub 2.3ohm

sub not cutting out now but sub knob, chnl5 gain and xover dials very touchy. will be playing all day tomorrow and see if it holds up.

Comment

Seems better but my Tige is still messed up. This is in Sirius mode. I've already updated FW Viper v01096 30

IMG_1370.jpg

Comment

Keep in mind that the TT is just a slave remote to the head unit. So if something is not right at the TT, try it at the transom remote and at the head unit directly.

Comment

the head unit was showing correct information. I did not check the transom remote. I'm about ready to have the dealer have a look. I'm tired of dealing with it every time I go out.

assuming I do eventually get a WS zone control would there be any benefit to the sub knob at that point? ie should I just go head and get the htx-6 swapout? is the syndx-6 the proper replacement for a syn6?
                            Last edited by kmkramer71; 06-20-2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

dealer is buying a new 10" 4ohm. does anyone have an idea of what the extra black wire would be? it seems like a ground wire, thicker gauge than the stock speaker wires and there is no label like on the speaker wires. it does not show up in my picture that I took before removing the syn6.

Comment

Working...
                              X