New audio and somethings not right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a noob to marine audio so bare with me here. I recently updated my system in my 05 22V. A friend talked me into the Massive Audio Edge Series amps. Well the price was great but the output not so much and tech support is not that great either. I still have some more troubleshooting to do but family is usually along and they want boating time vs watching me work on the boat. My next trip in a few weeks will be alone and I will be bringing an Oscilloscope with me.

On paper the amps should be blasting my speakers but even with the gains maxed I get no distortion from the cabin or tower speakers. I do get distortion on the subwoofer. It is loud but i wonder if could be louder and it can't be good maxing out the amp gains. I am also getting a flashing power light on the EX46 amp which has most of the signal splits.

My initially thought is that my voltage out of the WS-420BT is low as a result of the y-splitters and length RCA cables by time it hits the amp. Could signal voltage drop enough from my configuration to prevent the amps from reaching their peak? Another thought is that the amps ratings are with 14.4 volts and since I am 12.4 the RMS output power of the amps is now less than RMS of the speakers. The EX46 and 48 amps are digital amps and the EX2 is a AB amp. The EX46&48 do get warm and the EX2 has no temp increase, which is the opposite of what I would expect. I am waiting to hear back from Massive Audio but any input from the TO's wold be appreciated.

22V Audio.jpg

I need to dig into the specs of the massive amps, but in the mean time, answer a few ????

That is your source you are using to tune/play? Have you tried other sources like CD, USB data port, tuner, etc? I dont see a traditional head unit listed, so im wondering if the 420BT is the main interface?

At what percentage is the ws-420BTs internal gains set to?

It does concern me if your amp gains are seriously that high, especially with a line driver EQ.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I am using 420 as the only source so BT is the only source I use. I haven't tried AUX yet.
      I called Wetsounds and again great guys. The output voltage is factory set at 5v for each zone. I haven't adjusted the 420 gains yet. They are inside the unit and so not sure what percent is being used. Wetsounds also said having a HU or Aux added won't effect the output voltage.

The MA amps input voltage range is 0.4-10v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have not opened up the EQ to adjust the AUX side, then I know where they are set. You are going to have to open it up and adjust them. The BT is a little weak. Having a head-unit makes a significant difference on the amp gains percentage. if you take a decent signal, like from a head-unit, boost it through the EQ line driver, the amp makes full power with a lower gain level. However, if you take a weak BT or head phone output direct into the EQ, your net strength at the amp is lower, requiring a higher gain level to make the same power.

When you talk with massive again, ask them about thier regulated power supply and a difference in load between chnls 1/2 driving a bridged 4 ohm woofer and 3 and 4 driving a 3.2 ohm tower pod.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

That makes sense and will make adjustments next trip down.
          My plan was to use the 420 main input as a aux input I'm the glovebox and regular aux at the helm. I will check all the gains. I hope to hear back from massive audio tomorrow and will ask more questions. Thanks Mike your the best.

Comment

Some of your woofer distortion, could actually be the woofer bottoming out/over excursion. That woofer REALLY needs to be in a small sealed enclosure. If that amp is indeed delivering its advertised 400W rms, then thats too much for that woofer running IB and especially with no subsonic filter on the amp.

Curious as to why you went with a separate 2 chnl amp to drive the bow speakers, rather than put them on the 4 chnl driving the 2 pair of main cabin? This eliminates the need to split the in-boat RCAs.

Also, does the ex46 not have an input mode switch to allow for the use of a single set of RCA to drive all 4 chnls? This would also eliminate one more pair of splitters.

Sorry for the questions, cant find a manual and can only find a view of one end of the amp.

Does your boat still have an operational head unit? If so and just for kicks, drop an RCA cable from it to the MAIN of the ws-420bt and note the difference.

Comment

Please don't apologize and ask away.
              No unfortunately these amps do not have input ch selection.
              I let my friend spec the equipment and and I just install. I actually wanted a five channel amp for cabins and sub and 2 ch for the towers but he won argument and swore it would work. He does own a big car audio and home audio company so he does know more than me.
              I do still have
              I have sub Gain turned down and it sounds good now. I do agree a box would be good and thought of adding one to the back of sub. Or put a sealed sub in the helm storage and make the hole now a vent.
              I can easily put the bow speakers with the main cabin and will give a try.
              I do still have the HU and can easily put that back in. I am curious too how that will affect output.

http://download.massiveaudio.com/CAR...DGE_MANUAL.pdf

Comment

Zero benefit to pulling the woofer, putting in a sealed enclosure, dropping it in the port mid-ship locker and making the hole a vent.

Same box size to fit through front seat back opening. Box would have to be secured to floor but on stand-offs. Bass has to travel further to reach cabin.

Leave woofer in hole, build enclosure to be back-loaded behind woofer. cut away carpet the same footprint as box, glue/screw box to wall.

Comment

I wondered about doing that to the sub but didn't think about the carpet and stand-offs. Thanks. Should I port the box or make sealed. The subwoofer manual has good instructions for demensions either way. I have the 3/4 MDF already and apply a coat of resin then paint with truck bed liner. My neighbor has it left over from another project. Unless you recommend a different material.

Comment

Working...
                  X