Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a new sub. Any feedback on infinite baffle from JL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new sub. Any feedback on infinite baffle from JL?

Like the title states. I am in need of replacing my current Kicker sub that came with the boat. I think it is a 12" but not sure (it is the square sub).

I like the installation of an infinite baffle bc I dont need to build anything but wanted to get feedback from those with experience.

Also if I go from that Kicker 12" to another brands 10" will I notice any major decrease?

Thanks for the feedback.

You cant go from a square hole to a round hole without doing some modifications. Especially if the current is a 12" and the new would be a 10". Based on this alone, I would consider building a proper enclosure for the current woofer

Next, regardless of brand, you will likely notice reduction in output going down from a 12" woofer to a 10", regardless of brand. Surface are is the most efficient way t create bass, so stepping down in woofer size, would almost certainly equal a reduction in bass. Knowing the power handling of the JL10IB, I can safely say that wattage is not going to make up for that lost surface area. What you might gain though, is sound quality. This is because a true IB woofer is going to perform a little better than a woofer built for a smaller sealed enclosure that running IB.

If you truly want to NOT build an enclosure, I would suggest sticking with a 12" woofer and go with the JL 12IB. However, it an $800 woofer. Not sure of your timeline, but there may be another 12" IB woofer option coming soon.

The last piece of the puzzle is the amp wattage. This can also impact the outcome of a woofer change, if you retain the current amp.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      Not sure of your timeline, but there may be another 12" IB woofer option coming soon.
      Wetsounds 12" IB????????????????!

Comment

Working...
      X