Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding house batteries to R20

2015 R20 raptor 400

Came with interstate 800cc cranking Deep Cycle.

Wanting to add some house batteries. Ideally 2 6v ran in a series to achieve 12v.

What I know.
    I need a battery isolator
    How to connect the two 6v batteries in series
    I have a factory on off battery switch with 1 bank
    I've decided to put the 6v batteries in the ski locker as close to the center of the boat as possible

What I need to find out.
    Can I keep using my power switch?
    Once the isolator is hooked up correctly, can I simply connect just the starter to the cranking battery and connect all accessories to my house batteries?
    Do I need another breaker and or fuse between the isolator and the house batteries?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T677A using Tapatalk
    2015 Tigé R20

Are you referring to a diode type iso?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      Are you referring to a diode type iso?

The attached photos are of how I believe I need to run these batteries and the isolator I keep seeing pop up. I'm not sure really which isolator I need or is recommended

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      2015 Tigé R20

Comment

That Blue Sea ACR and that diagram wont work together. That diag looks to be a very generic diagram likely using a distribute on demand type isolator.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Ok I have to ask. I have been looking at adding another battery to my house bank. What is the benefit of going with two 6v over one 12v? Is it a size thing. Sorry for the hijack.
          Sometimes you have to do what feels good, rather than what feels right.

Comment

Is it a size thing
            Isint it always?

a pair of 6V can equal 260+ amp hours. 2 group-29 might add up to 220.

Comment

Originally posted by alwayssummer View Post
              Ok I have to ask. I have been looking at adding another battery to my house bank. What is the benefit of going with two 6v over one 12v? Is it a size thing. Sorry for the hijack.
              It's the run time... the amp hours, you get quite a bit more running 6v in series than 12v in parallel

2015 Tigé R20

Comment

That Blue Sea ACR and that diagram wont work together. That diag looks to be a very generic diagram likely using a distribute on demand type isolator.
                Should the only thing I really run to the house batteries just be the amps then?

2015 Tigé R20

Comment

Ideally, you would want every load thats not needed to make the boat go, powered off the house battery. However, that can be difficult in a later model with a helm system and a single battery setup. Things like audio, accent and underwater lighting, auto bilge, ballast pumps are things that can run off the house bank. Simply anything that you want to run while on the hook.

Comment

Ideally, you would want every load thats not needed to make the boat go, powered off the house battery. However, that can be difficult in a later model with a helm system and a single battery setup. Things like audio, accent and underwater lighting, auto bilge, ballast pumps are things that can run off the house bank. Simply anything that you want to run while on the hook.
                    In this scenario what isolator would you recommend?

2015 Tigé R20

Comment

I sell and install quite a few of those Blue Sea 7610 ACR you have above, hoever, you need to swap your simple ON/OFF for a different switch. Or, go with a more simple system and one thats 100% manual by installing a traditional 1/2/BOTH/OFF switch.

Comment

I sell and install quite a few of those Blue Sea 7610 ACR you have above, hoever, you need to swap your simple ON/OFF for a different switch. Or, go with a more simple system and one thats 100% manual by installing a traditional 1/2/BOTH/OFF switch.
                        Awesome. Thanks again Mike!

2015 Tigé R20

Comment

So would it be possible to add two 6v,wired in series, to my existing group 27 house. Or would it only be two 6v. I guess two 6v would be much simpler.

Comment

In theory, yes, as two 6V in series will = a 12V bank. So you would be connecting one 12V battery in parallel to another 12V battery. However, im not a fan of connecting aged batteries with new. Although 6V are wet cell, im sure about connecting them permanently with a single 12V. They clearly have different internal resistance. This effects recharge and discharge rates. This is why we dont mix old and new.

So, bottom line, I would replace the g-27 with the two 6V rather than add them to.

Comment

I see. I might just let you design a battery system for me. The more I dig into this, the more my head spins. I need an on board charger, I would like a new switch, and my stereo kills my house battery after about an hour of anchor time. The house battery is new of last season and I haven't added anything new to the house bank in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X