Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General support for upgrade of AMP's

Hey all,

It's been awhile since I have been on the site, but upgraded boats and now my stereo needs some work.

Currently I have:
    Pair Rev10
    Pair Rev 8
    6 interior speakers
    10 free air sub
    All WetSounds.
    The amps are
    Syn6 for all interior speakers and a Syn2 for the towers.

This is obviously way under powered and doesn't sound too hot. I am adding my 420 that I took out of the old Z1.
    So I went to a local stereo place, the same place I had my install of old boat. They did a great job then. I was asking him if adding a syn4 to power the towers and use the Syn2 on the sub and use the syn6 for the 650's.
    He recommended looking into using a JL amp for the towers. He said the M400 would power them fine, but he has used the M800/8v2 amp on that set up with "unbelievable" sound. The cost difference is about 260 bucks.
    One other avenue I was contemplating is adding a set of 808's to replace one pair of 650's. I had a pair in my old boat and they were great. I really don't want to go too crazy on cost, but would y'all spend the extra money on the bigger amp, or would you get the smaller amp and add the 808's.
    Thanks guys

Neither the M400/4 or M800/8 would be an improvement over the current Syn-2, to a point of hearing the return on that investment.

The only advantage to moving the 10fa from the Syn-6 to the Syn-2, is freeing up chnls 5 and 6 of the Syn-6. Realistically, the Syn-2 is WAY too much for the 10fa. Are you going to upgrade the woofer?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The M400 is not going to push the 4 rev series towers at 75 watts like a Syn2 at 175 watts a can. So that is not a choice I would even consider. Now the 800.8 at 200 watts is a contender and why l like this set up is being able to tune the different sized pods seperate. Which will help create that "unbelievable sound" he is referring to. So yes the 800.8 would be a upgrade in SQ and that illusion of more output for sure. Worth the price? That's your call...
      Kaotik Kustomz: WetSounds, Arc, Kicker, Focal, Masconi, Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, MTX, Life Form, Lumitec, Shadow Caster, Fly High, Llumarr, Sun Tek, SolarFX....

Comment

Kvon,

Give us a call at 877-938-7757 so we can find you a dealer that knows the proper power for our speakers. That is terrible advice. I am pretty surprised a dealer would even recommend those amps in this situation. (nothing wrong with those amps but completely wrong in this application) Sounds like they are just trying to make a sale. I would go somewhere else. The system is not WAY under powered. Tuned right, it can have great results. A couple easy upgrades and can take it a whole new level though

Rule of thumb is trying to match RMS rating of the speaker to RMS rating of the amplifier. This is audio 101 and any decent dealer should know this. REV-8 are 200 watts and REV-10 are 300 watts. This is the optimum and where you need to get close to. Right now you have a SYN-2 at 2 ohm stereo. That amp does 350x2 at 2 ohms so net is 175 watts per speaker.

Going to the M400 would be 75 watts a speaker. So 100 watts less in power!! Why in the world would they think that is OK. Big downgrade and way underpowered. The 800/8 bridged in 4 ch mode would be 200x4. So 25 watts more power than you have now and not an upgrade at all and you will not notice 25 watts. The only thing you could do is tune the REV 8 and REV 10 separately. But I would say zero notice in difference because the power is so close. Also, if he thinks 200 watts on REV 8 and REV 10 is amazing. He clearly has never heard a SD-2 on REV 10 for 400x2. Or a pair of REV 410 off a SD-4 bridged for 685x2!! Thats amazing.

Once you find the right dealer. Adding the WS-420 would be step one so your already on the right path. That and a full re tune of the system and see what you think. Tuned right. You should be very happy with it. In the factory system, the sub is the limitation based on location. Factories have to deal with heaters and electronics etc..so a big sub box or optimum subwoofer is not always going to happen. The free air 10 can sound great in the right set up. If you have someone build a large enclosure for that woofer. You would probably be happy with the system as is. You could also go to a XS-12 and use all the power on 5-6 on the SYN-6 for 600x1 on the sub.

The issue on the tower is your under powering the REV 10 since they are on the same amp as the REV 8. I have heard this set up and it can work as is off SYN2 tuned right. Some like it as they like the added head room and the staggered look on the tower. So it is more form over function. I would not run the mix match sizes as you either under powering the REV 10, or if you get the right power to the REV 10, they will over power the REV 8. But Since you have it, lets make it work the best. Adding a SYN-4 on the REV 10 for 400x2 would be the best and keeping the SYN-2 on the REV-8 for 200x2.

Optimum power for both. Tune them both for best sound and just understand the REV 10 is going to be louder. But thats ok, a good dealer can tune this and create a good sound.

So adding a WS-420 and a SYN-4. re tune and build a box (or add XS-12 in box) Simple and cost effective and your going to be super happy with the results.

Give us a call, talk to my guys on what dealer gave you this advice and lets see if we can get you a dealer near you that can take care of you the right way.

Tim
        Wet Sounds

Comment

Working...
        X