2015 radio problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 radio problem

I have a 2015 Z3. Sometimes the TT2 locks up on the radio page. All the other screens work on the TT2 when this happens. Just the radio page locks up. No control what so ever of the radio from the TT2 when this happens. I can still control the radio from the head-unit remote in the glove box, the remote on the stern, and a bluetooth device.

The dealer has tried updating the TT2 several times with no success in fixing the problem. Anyone else have this problem and a solution to it?
    Replace head-unit, third party module between TT2 and Head-unit or replace TT2?

I may have also caused an additional problem with my radio . I was digging around in the port storage locker where the head-unit is. I had been having low reception with AM/FM radio. I found the antenna buried in the middle of a wire harness. I pulled the antenna out of the wire harness and hooked the loop at the end of the antenna (Loop at the end of the antenna looks like any other bolt through wire terminal lug) to a windshield bolt sticking through into the compartment. This worked for a couple of days as the antenna was sticking straight up and reception was improved.

The problem is that last night I went out to turn on the radio and it would not turn on . I checked the fuse and it has power to the head unit. Power was confirmed with a meter. Did I cause something to short/fry inside the head-unit by connecting the antenna to the windshield bolt??? Or could this be related to the original TT2 problem??

I don't mined replacing the head-unit if I caused it to die but I want it fixed ASAP under warranty if it is part of the original problem. I want to be on the water next month.

Edit: The reason I think it could be part of the original TT2 problem is because when it would lock up I could not turn off the radio. Now it's the opposite, I cant turn it on.

Thanks
    Last edited by kodiak ak; 03-19-2016, 01:48 PM.

Mine did something similar when new and I had dealer do an update on software. Mine would do when hot out and ran for several hours though and wasn't just isolated to the stereo page. The update took care of the issue for the most part. It has maybe happened once or twice since update so I would start with an update.

Then perhaps follow the wiring from the TT to the stereo and make sure they are connected properly. I had several of the pin connectors or Y adapters that were forced together I'm assuming at the factory and there were pins in each of the connectors that were bent over or not making very good contact causing radio to stop working also. It would power off though and wasn't a TT issue.

Comment

Ok, help me clarify a couple things. When you say the dealer has tried to update the TT with no success. Does this mean A) the updates are failing to load or B) they have indeed successfully loaded actual updates, but they have not fixed the problem? Reason i ask is that this fork in the road leads two very different directions.

An update is typically written to address a specific issue or even a couple of issues, but rarely written for no reason. So, are any of the updates released for addressing your issue? Who ever the dealer is obtaining these updates from, should easily be able to explain their fixes.

The TT simply acts as a slave to the head-unit, much like the transom remote does. So, if the head-unit and transom remote function at the same time as the TT is frozen, id rule out a head-unit. However, I would not rule out a cable issue between the TT and head-unit. Odd are, its a firmware issue within the TT. I think the dealer is on the right track with updates, but tossing darts unless one of these updates was specific to your symptom.

I do not see an issue with what you did with the loop on the end of the antenna. Thats very common in boats.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I did some more trouble shooting today. Thanks for the ideas.

I started at the head-unit and worked my way through the "Y" connections. When I disconnected the 4 pin connecter from the TT2 I was able to operate the radio from the controller located in the glovebox. At least now I know I did not make a $450.00 mistake by connecting the antenna to the windshield bolt .

To the best of my knowledge the dealer has been able to successfully update the TT2 software. My current software on the TT2 is 2.7.10531 - 12012015

I will do some more trouble shooting tomorrow as my wife has plans for us for the rest of the evening .

I will ring the wires and check for continuity on the 4 pin connecters and try to rule out an intermittent open in the wire harness between the TT2 and the head-unit tomorrow.

Comment

I didn't make it out to the garage today. Hopefully Ill be able to take a look at it after work sometime this week.

Anyone know if this is the most current software for the TT2? 2.7.10531 - 12012015

Comment

So I had a chance to check the 4 pin connecters, they are all good.

While trouble shooting I found that the radio works with the TT2 if the stern remote is disconnected. As soon as I plug in the stern remote the TT2 locks up. Its strange to me that the intermittent TT2 lockups are do to the stern remote.

I called my dealer and he is ordering me a new remote. I hope this completely solves my problem as I don't want to go through another summer with radio problems.

Comment

It is very common for a bad remote to render all remotes inoperative. Remember, the TT is basically just a remote. Were you ever able to confirm that the transom remote indeed functioned when the TT was not? This I find interesting.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
              X