Loss of FM Signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of FM Signal

Following a recent upgrade to the stereo system of the boat including two tower speakers, a small amp located in the storage section behind the observers seat and a Bluetooth module and the addition of an actual car aerial, I have little to ability to pick up FM or AM radio stations anymore.
    The aerial used to be a small gauge wire attached to the RF jack of the stereo head unit, so I have replaced with an actual automotive aerial.
    I have the aerial located under the glovebox, running parallel with the deck and fitted up towards the nose. Is this an OK location?
    Where is the best spot to fit the aerial except on the outside.
    Does the introduction of the amp and the Bluetooth module create interference with the FM signals.
    The boat is a 2007 21i fitted with a Clarion CDM4.
    Every Day POETS day - Piss Off Early, Today we Ski

Was there a noticiable reduction on reception when you changed to the current aerial or was the new aerial an attempt to resolve poor reception?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The new aerial was an attempt to resolve poor reception. By adding the new aerial, it has not made the reception any better. If I grab the aerial with my hand while in the storage locker, the reception is straight away very good, but I loose it when I let go of the aerial.

Comment

Like you, I was very frustrated with the poor reception on my Z1. I finally solved the
        problem with a portable Sirius/XM radio & car kit ($80 at Best Buy). They have a $10/month mostly music plan (80 channels I think). You can "suspend" the subscription over the winter (no charges), then start it back up for no cost when the weather gets good. It's a "pay as you go" monthly charge with no obligation. I have a 12v plug and the aux input jack is in the glove box, so I just throw the radio in the glove box so it's protected, yet easily accessible.

Just an idea....

Comment

May just be me or my location, but I don't think I've ever been in a boat with FM reception worth listening to...

Comment

I use a marine style antenna that has 2 leads that split apart for the last 18". I string them along the underside of the gunwale in opposite directions. Good success around hear but that doesnt translate to good reception in your area.

This is not a clarion issue, but could be a unique issue to your hear head-unit. Any way you can reach out to other boaters on your lake and get a feel for what stations are typically strong and ones that are weak? This establishes a bench mark.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Radio app on your phone then use the Aux In on your head unit???

Comment

Where we live has good radio reception and on the water is no different. My concern is has the installation of the new amp have anything do do with now having poor reception. Is there a better place to move the aerial to, maybe the front of the boat, the back, underneath? Does the fibreglass prevent the radio waves from entering. I have seen those dipole antennas, would these work better? What about a booster?

Comment

Working...
                X