Any cheaper options similar to WS-420 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any cheaper options similar to WS-420 ?

I'm just wondering if there are any other options to go with for equalizer? I want to add one but don't see why its worth 300 bucks. is there a decent performing eq that has same options as the wetsounds or exile models.

I have a used one I'll sell you for $150. In perfect working condition. I replaced it with the newer "SQ" model. Just let me know if you're interested.

Comment

whats the difference in the sq versus your model?

Comment

is there a decent performing eq that has same options as the wetsounds or exile models.
        These two arent even as similar one might think, even though they are the same price. But to answer your basic question, no, there isnt. There are two significant features that sets the Wet Sounds WS-420 heads above the mk2 and other automotive eq chassis.

1) the WS-420 includes the talk-back MIC
        2) the WS-420 is 2 equalizers in a single chassis and has been from the beginning. If you look at the face of both units along with other automotive based eq's, the WS-420 has 2 knobs for frequencies. This is very significant in a boat that has an in-boat zone and tower zone. With basic automotive eq platforms like the mk2, what ever eq adjustments you make, will effect both zones. Basically, the mk2 took the traditional fade dial POT and split it to two dials on the output side. But, the input is still going through that single EQ. Not ideal when you have large tower pods and small in-boat speakers.

The WS-420 was designed from the ground up and from the git-go, as a marine zone controller w/EQ. The mk2 is a traditional 20th century automotive eq thats be done as a 1-off. Two other mk2 features that are left over from days when amps did not have the sophisticated front ends that they do now, is the presence of the adjustable phase and non-defeatable low-pass filter for the sub side. With modern amps, these 2 features are teats on a bore. The have no use being on the front of an EQ and make tuning tricky.

These design features add to the cost and IMO, make the WS-420 worth the investment.

if you are looking for a marine built component that has 3 zone volume control, dual EQ, talk back MIC then the WS-420 is for you and nothing else like it exists. If there are other features you are looking for, but all those features, then there may be some viable alternatives.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by DirtNasty View Post
          Two main differences I can think of. First, in the SQ, the subwoofer control is independent from the other two zones (in-boats and tower). In the prior version, there is a subwoofer control (both volume and frequency), but it's linked to the in-boat control, so you have to have the in-boats on to get subwoofer output. Second, the SQ has a "Main" control knob that will raise and lower all three zones (tower, in-boats, and sub) simultaneously.

Hopefully others (chpthril?) will point out any other differences and correct me if what I said above is not right.

Comment

Thanks, I'm not very knowledgeable on stereo tuning. That being said i am a diy guy and always will be, but I dont mind paying good money for good parts that will perform and last. As far as the 420 im not really worried about the talk back microphone. we surf 98% of the time and would never need it other than to annoy people on the lake lol. All i want is a nice clear sound in boat and in surf zone. But as far as eq capability, my stereo is not that fancy and. i have small 6.5 kicker tower speakers and 6 in boats all of which are on their last leg and i plan to replace the in boats if funds allow it. i also have two subs in boat which need to be re done and put in enclosure. . Seeing as how i ran through my taxes last night and looks like ill owe about 4k my stereo budget has just been depleted lol. so right now every penny will count. I need to add an eq but just trying to spend money in the right place. Would i be better served to spend extra on eq to get good sound or on speakers and amps? Also chpthril can you elaborate on the difference in the older wets sound eq the guy mentioned above. would that be a good option for me for the price?

Comment

Nothing huge to save some coin besides you will loose a fresh warranty, the new version has a main volume, independent sub control.
              As far as not using the mic. It is very nice to be able to just talk into it rather than yell at the surfer, even someone that close.. You will see..
              Kaotik Kustomz: WetSounds, Arc, Kicker, Focal, Masconi, Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, MTX, Life Form, Lumitec, Shadow Caster, Fly High, Llumarr, Sun Tek, SolarFX....

Comment

Thanks, I'm not very knowledgeable on stereo tuning. That being said i am a diy guy and always will be, but I dont mind paying good money for good parts that will perform and last. As far as the 420 im not really worried about the talk back microphone. we surf 98% of the time and would never need it other than to annoy people on the lake lol. All i want is a nice clear sound in boat and in surf zone. But as far as eq capability, my stereo is not that fancy and. i have small 6.5 kicker tower speakers and 6 in boats all of which are on their last leg and i plan to replace the in boats if funds allow it. i also have two subs in boat which need to be re done and put in enclosure. . Seeing as how i ran through my taxes last night and looks like ill owe about 4k my stereo budget has just been depleted lol. so right now every penny will count. I need to add an eq but just trying to spend money in the right place. Would i be better served to spend extra on eq to get good sound or on speakers and amps? Also chpthril can you elaborate on the difference in the older wets sound eq the guy mentioned above. would that be a good option for me for the price?
                There are some significant internal revision that improved the overall sound quality and greatly reduced the chance of unwanted noise. This allowed the 420 to go from fixed gain levels to adjustable gain levels. Regarding user functionality, IMO the two greatest changes are the addition of a master volume knob. This allows for complete system volume adjustments via a single dial. 2nd, is the sub volume is no longer a subset of the in-boat volume. The sub level is 100% independent so you have 3 true zone volume. Still have the option of blue or red, but the switch is now internal.

I dont put much stock in a head-units internal EQ. With a quality amp tuned right, you should not need to make extreme EQ adjustment.

I would evaluate the speaker and amp upgrades first, then look to invest in an EQ.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                X