Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing all the sound system, which amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing all the sound system, which amps?

I purchased a 2004 22v and gutted everything. I installed 6 kicker 6.5's with LED's for in boat speakers. I put the kicker kmt67's on the tower and I have a JL 10w3v3 4 ohm sub. I've read that it is best to have the tower speakers on an amp dedicated to just the towers. Well, I have 3 amps to choose from and I'm trying to figure out what would be best.

Amps: Wet Sounds HT6, Alpine PDX-5, Soundstream Rub600-4

My original thought was to use the wet sounds for the six in boat speakers and the alpine for the sub and towers. But, now I'm thinking the soundstream on the towers as that would be 300 watts to each pod as opposed to 150 watts from the alpine. With that said should I use the wet sounds ht6 as followed, channel 1 and 2 on the bow speakers, channels 3 and 4 for the cabin speakers at a 2 ohm load, and channels 5 and 6 bridged for 300 watts to the sub which is the same wattage as the alpine.

What setup will be best?

Save your pennies! Soundstream and Precision Power have huge bang for the buck. I am a cheapskate, yes, but they do deliver too.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

I just reread my post. The three amps stated I already have. These are amps I have laying around the house from over the years and was trying to avoid buying anything else.

Comment

Pickit,

Let me chew this over and get back to this thread tomorrow. The biggest hurdle is getting optimal wattage to the kicker KMT67's. Due to their nominal impedance, most amps do not like them bridged. They really need to be on a single chnl each.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Ok, so, it aint tomorrow.....................

chnl 5 and 6 of the HT-6 = kicker KMT67 on each chnl for about 130W rms to each pod

chnl 1 and 2 = 1 pair of main cabin kicker KM654 for about 110W rms to each speaker

chnl 3 and 4 = 1 pair of main cabin kicker km654 for about 110W rms to each speaker

Alpine PDX-5 chnl 5 - JL 10W3-D4 for 300W rms

3rd pair of Kicker KM654 bridged on the alpine chnls 1/2 and 3/4 for a potential of 150W but gained down to match the volume of the other in-boats.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Chl -

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I asked as that was not one of the ways I was going to hook it up. Also, if I did get an amp for the towers, what would you recommend?

Thanks again!

Comment

I you wanted a dedicated amp that would push them to their potential, I would go with the Arc Audio KS300.2

Comment

^this. that amp rocks...
                2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I'll hook it up like you suggested and go from there. Thank you sir!

Comment

Call it coincidence or what ever you want to call it. Chpthril the day after you said a KS300.2 would be the amp you would use, one popped up for sale. A lady traded her car in and had the sound system taken out prior. So now the towers will be driven correctly. Would you use the alpine pdx-5 or the wet sounds ht6 for the inboats and sub. Thanks all for the help!

Comment

In this case, I would take the HT-6, here's why;

Both amps are going to deliver the 300W rms to the 4 ohm woofer, so thats a wash. On the full range side with 3 pair of in-boats, you are going to have 2 pairs of speakers each splitting 75W rms with the PDX for a net of 37W to each speaker. Where as with the HT-6, those same 2 pair will split 150W rms for a net of 75W rms to each speaker. I'll take the 2X net in wattage.

Comment

Thanks brother! I had 150 watts in my head on the alpine, that was bridged so on 2 channels. HT6 it is.

Comment

Working...
                        X