sub upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sub upgrade

like the title says, what sub could I upgrade too using the stock 6 channel amp that I have. I just find that the 10" free air is not hitting that hard. Is it possible to build a box and put a 12" in and still use that amp or is that asking too much of that amp. I did the re wire that mike told me to do and it was better but with all the other noise the sub just doesn't seem that great. I am not exactly sure what power that amp is putting out bridged so this is why I ask. thanks in advance.

Your setup will benefit from a sub upgrade on two fronts. One being that you've a 600W capable amp. Going with a larger woofer that will handle the power, will let you unleash the amps full potential. Two, going from a 10" to 12" is a whole lot more moved air, which translates to output, without needing additional amp wattage.

In no particular order:
    Wet Sounds XS-12
    Kicker CompVR 122
    JL 12W3 4 ohm
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

thanks mike, now do I need another amp or just wire in the new sub with a box and just use the power I already have going to the 10". thanks.

Comment

no amp needed, just a 12" woofer that will comfortably handle the Syn-6's available 600W rms and a proper enclosure for it. You will need to retune the amp though.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Check out 604 autosound in Chilliwack. They are down the street from Redline. Good custom shop. They built an amazing box that matched the vinyl of the hull...Beautiful work!

Comment

I went the JL 12w3 and it pounds. Its in a custom tuned box for the sub. It's a bass reflex which sounds perfect in my open air boat. Here is the dimensions. I would assume it would work in yours, but you should measure. JL approved my design and it was based off of their tech specs.
            Attached Files
            Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

thanks guys, I will build the box myself, I am capable of that I feel. Just not sure on sub and my amp capacities, thanks

Comment

Hi Mike, thanks again for all your knowledge. I am a little confused on what you are saying. are saying to keep using the syn 6 for the inboats and the sub, or just to use the syn 6 on the sub only. I would like to not have to buy another amp but if that is the only way I will have to hold off until I can. thanks again

Comment

no new amp needed, period. the current amp is capable of 600W for an upgraded woofer.

Comment

sorry for my ignorance. I was under the impression that the syn 6 was 600 watts,I just assumed that wouldn't be enough, so with the inboats and a new sub I would still be okay with just that one amp. sorry Mike, and thanks

Comment

All in, the Syn-6 is spec'd at over 1000W rms, with 600W of that available for a subwoofer. Thats more than plenty for a very respectable subwoofer setup.

Comment

oh that is great, thanks again mike really appreciate it. Now the question lies in your vast world of experience which one of the three and what kind of box to fit the 22ve helm, I would rather not move electronics and such, also have a heater. I know I am beating a dead horse here a little, but I searched the site and not getting great results. So for the price of a sub and some contruction materials should be a fairly good upgrade I imagine. ported or sealed? 4ohm or 2 ohm?

Comment

Yes, you will have a noticeable increase in both output and bass extension.

You will need either a 4 ohm single voice coil woofer or a 2 ohm dual voice coil woofer

A ported enclosure for a said woofer, may require 40% more external then sealed enclosure for same woofer. This may be your deciding factor depending on the degree of mods you want to do. In terms of output, a ported enclosure will be a 3 db output advantage over a sealed, with the woofer and amp wattage remaining the same. The next thing to do is decide on what size enclosure will fit, then figure out the woofer. Any woofer can be run ported or sealed, but not all woofer will perform at the best in both. Some woofers are tuned for ported, some are tuned for sealed while others fall in the middle and do well in either.

Comment

My Ve is a little older and I have the stock Kicker amp and just upgraded the sub. I went with a Kicker L3 in a sealed box. Huge difference.

Comment

just my $.02 but you could do what I did and install a second FA 10" sub! 300RMS per sub; get the 2ohm subs from Wet Sounds and wire them in Series so you have your 4ohm load across ch5-6 on your amp and your set! You won't even have to run new wires since the factory speaker wire should be 12 gauge anyway. I did this with my Sinister 6 amp but the Syn 6 looks to have alittle more power on the dedicated sub channels. It's a tight fit but easy to do.IMG_7715.jpg
                              2010 Tige RZ2 "Fully Loaded" 650hrs
                              Surf Ballast & Enzo Bag - 1235 prop

Comment

Working...
                              X