LED Spools..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Spools..

Finally pulled the trigger and bought an RGB spool and controller from wet sounds.. Two things..

1. What are you guys using to attach these strips. I thought they would have some kind of pull and stick backing, but no. Is double sided tape from 3M good enough, or is there a better option.

2. These spools can be cut to size and then you just solder on new leads. What about the other end where the cut is open? The factory ends have some sort of plastic end cap. Will electrical tape be sufficient to keep any moisture off the open end and over the solder joints?

I didn't buy mine from wet sounds but they did have adhesive backing. Well at least something I thought looked like adhesive backing. It didn't stick to anything for very long at all. I used the 3m double sided tape and it's working great. I just left the other end open and let it rock like that.
    Sometimes you have to do what feels good, rather than what feels right.

Comment

MY WS spools had tape on the back but its worthless in the marine environment. I used super glue in spots of the tape along with the tape to hold and they still will come down on hot days.

Soldering the links together is the best way to keep contact points working but a PITA. I soldered them on the workbench then had to re-solder a lot of them when I installed them as they are very sensitive to movement.

If I had to do it again I'd just order the WS RGB 6.5 speakers with them installed in the tweeter or such and never look back! Seems like the links are constantly loosing colors if they get bent wrong or touched by passengers etc. I taped the ends and all connections together. Tried using liquid tape and that was a PITA also. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys... Sounds like I'm gonna be fighting a losing battle. Ive got the RGB speakers but wanted to add the spool lights in places behind interior and stuff like that, to add accents. My wife has seen a couple youtube vids of boats lit up at night, and has decided ours needs to look like that...

Comment

Working...
        X