2015 RZR subwoofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 RZR subwoofer

hey guys, I just brought home a 2015 RZR....my first Tigé....and I want to add a sub. I see that there is a partial cutout under the helm (in front of the drivers feet), there are two wires that are hanging into the same spot....there is a grey and a black wire. I have tried to trace them but I am having some problems figuring out where they go...I thought that I would have found the other ends of the two wires hanging loose in the passenger side compartment where the head unit and tower speaker amp is located but I can't see them there....

Question #1 - what size sub can I put in this space?

Question #2 - are these the prewires for the sub and do you know where the other ends of the wires come out?

Thanks for any help......
    2015 Tigé RZR Black and Tangerine, Raptor 400

The cut out is for a 10. Normally if they don't come with a sub then they aren't prewired. Normally to get tower of power option(tower speakers) you have to have the premium(sub, 6 in boats, syn 6 amp). Its a basic, then step 1(premium), then step 2(tower of power). Can't have step 1 without 2 kind of thing.

I owned a 13 and 14 and thats how it was. No pre wire.

Comment

1) The factory option would have been a 10" Wet Sounds XS-10FA. If you are up to the challenge, you have the potential to do a very strong 12" in a ported enclosure.

2) Yes, that gray and black wires are for the sub. Tige has been pre-wiring for options such as stereo, ballast, underwater lights, etc, since 2006. This other ends will be taped up in the main harness behind the head-unit, likely covered with the split loom. You will have to open it all up to find it, but its there.

How many in-boats does the boat have, is there an amp for them and how much of a sub project do you want to tackle?
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The boat has four speakers in the boat and the dealer added a set of Samson 7" tower speakers powered by a JL amp. The system sounds ok but I would like a sub and if I can do it myself that would be great....

I thought I could see a gray and black wire on the port side but it's all taped up and even taking the split loom off I couldn't find it....I will have to remove the electrical tape and see if it's more obvious.

I don't want to drop a ton of money on the sub and amp but I don't want to do it again later when it's not strong enough either....I think a good quality 10" should hit pretty hard??

The tower is prewired for two more speakers, I found those no problem....I have been looking for the prewired for the underwater lights but I haven't found those yet either....there is a lot of wiring and it's hidden and bundled up pretty well....

Comment

Neither my 2013 or 2014 RZR were prewired for the sub. Tower prewire is a $400 option, don't pay for it and you won't get it. Also was not prewired for the third set of in boats. If its prewired thats a new thing for 2015. Harness items are prewired as Chp said, such as the underwater lights or the mood lights. None of my boats were ever prewired for stereo components that weren't on the build sheet. Maybe you got lucky or maybe thats the heater wiring which goes in the small compartment in front of the console.

Comment

My 2008 tower was pre wired. Both had the stock sub so I don't know about that.
            "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by kerry2 View Post
              The boat has four speakers in the boat and the dealer added a set of Samson 7" tower speakers powered by a JL amp. The system sounds ok but I would like a sub and if I can do it myself that would be great....

I thought I could see a gray and black wire on the port side but it's all taped up and even taking the split loom off I couldn't find it....I will have to remove the electrical tape and see if it's more obvious.

I don't want to drop a ton of money on the sub and amp but I don't want to do it again later when it's not strong enough either....I think a good quality 10" should hit pretty hard??

The tower is prewired for two more speakers, I found those no problem....I have been looking for the prewired for the underwater lights but I haven't found those yet either....there is a lot of wiring and it's hidden and bundled up pretty well....
              You wont need to spend a ton, but investing the time and extra materials to do a woofer in an enclosure, will make a difference. Within a woofer class, there is typically only a few bucks difference between the 10" and 12". For an example, there is only a $10 difference between the Kicker Comp S 10 and 12. Enclosure would be about the same size and they can be driven with the same amplifier power. Pair it with a DXA500.1 and you've got a solid combo.

Take it a step further, and get a Kicker KXM800.5 to drive the new sub and the 4 in-boats. This extra wattage to the in-boats will help them stay balanced with the sub.

Yes, you will likely need to cut back the tape and dig into that wire harness. The ends are likely doubles back toward the bow.

The underwater light harness is probably tied up with the main harness as well, but is likely tagged.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have been thinking about this and I don't want to do it twice....

So here is what I have.....
                4 - Wet sounds In boats, not sure of the model numbers, they were factory installed by Tigé and powered by the Polk Audio head unit
                2 - Samson S7HD tower speakers powered by a JL M200/2 amp (dealer installed)

I would like to add a sub and I'm going to go with the Wet Sounds XS-10FA. I know that most say to go with a 12" in an enclosure but I don't really need to thump too hard and at this point I don't want to give up the space that a box would require.

I would like to add another pair of tower speakers and I was leaning towards the Samson S9HD so they would at least match the speakers I already have. The main question is which amp(s)?
                Can I still use my JL amp for any of this?

Should I get the KXM800.5 for the sub and in boats, but then I need another amp for my tower speakers and my JL is left unused. Is there any combination that would keep my current amp and only add one more amp?

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

The S7HD is a 6.5" HLCD and the S9HD is an 8" HLCD, so they actually dont "match" other than looks. I would have the dealer take back the 6.5" S7HD's and JL 200/2 and upgrade you to a single pair of Wet Sounds Rev-10 and a Wet Sounds Syn4. Adding a set of larger HLCDs along with a smaller pair, would require a 2nd amp IMO. Its less than ideal to wire a smaller speaker with a larger speaker. Those small 6.5" HLCDs are going to be so aggressive, no amount of larger speakers will tame there tweeters. 2 pair of 8" would be better, but for less money, you can get a single pair of larger 10" rev-10. Deeper mid-bass extension due to the larger driver and more mid-bass output due to more surface area. So you get a smoother more balanced sound quality system, for less of an investment.

For your current setup, the 200/2 is about half of what those speakers can handle. Technically, it would drive 2 pair, but its already leaving a lot of potential on the table with the single pair.

For 2 pair of Wet Sounds XS-650 in-boats and XS-10fa.............Wet Sounds HT-6 all day long. I like this option because its going to allow you to add a 3rd pair of in-boats later, when you decide to upgrade to a 12" sub and a more powerful amp.

Comment

Ok, so the HT-6 with my new sub and existing in boats....that should be a good fit.

I'm not sure that returning any of the equipment to the dealer is an option but I will ask them, if it's not then maybe I would be best to replace the JL with the Syn4, you say the JL is leaving a lot on the table....would the Syn4 make that much of a difference with my existing speakers and then in the future I can go to the Rev-10's and sell the Samson speakers.

Comment

yes, HT-6 for 2 pair of XS-650 and XS-10fa 4 ohm

In 2 chnl bridge mode, the Syn-4 is WAY to much for the 6.5" S7HD. In 4 chnl mode and only using 2 chnls, the wattage to each speaker is about the same as what you have now. So no advantage in making that amp change only.

Comment

Grrrrr....this is frustrating....haha....

Ok, so assuming I have to keep the S7HD's what can I do to upgrade the amp from the JL?

If I have to keep them then I would like to get the most out of them
                        Last edited by kerry2; 02-18-2015, 05:39 AM.

Comment

In doing some more investigation.....

I have found that the S7HD's are 4 ohm speakers rated at 250 Watts and my JL amp is rated at 100 x 2 at 2 ohms, would this not mean that I am only getting 50 watts to each of my tower speakers since they are currently not bridged?

The Syn4 is rated at 125 x 4 at 4 ohms so if I run it in two channel mode and bridged I should get 250 Watts to each speaker at 4 ohms??

I am very new to this whole speaker and amp thing so please tell me if I am way off here.....

Comment

The JL M200/2 is a great little amp, but not nearly the power a 6.5" HLCD deserves. Its only delivering 75W rms to a speaker I would shoot to drive with 200W rms. To get the most out of those, I would go with something like the Kicker KXM400.4. Now, see of your dealer would swap the 200/2 for the M400/4. Both these options will deliver 200W rms when bridged in 2 chnl mode

With each S7HD wired to a single chnl on the Syn-4, yes, it will receive 125W rms. With the Syn-4 bridged in 2 chnl mode, its output is 400W rms. This is way more than the 6.5" HLCD can handle.

Since you just took deliver of a brand new current model boat, I would beg my dealer to upgrade you right now. Much better to do now, then try to sell gear thats been used for a season or so. Those small 6.5" HLCD's have an aggressive unbridled compression driver and lack any mid-bass to balance it it out.

Comment

So, after a season on the water I have found that I should have done what Chpthril had originally suggested.
                              I was kinda happy with the performance of what I had but found that I really wanted more.

I have just taken delivery of two pair of Rev 10's and omg, those things are huge, the swivel mount is also very nice. I have a Wetsounds SD2 amp on order to drive the four Rev 10's.

I think that I can keep my HT-6 for my four in boats (XS-650) and also add another pair.

What I need help with now is figuring out what sub to add and how to power it, I would ideally like to only have two amps so if there is something that would power the 6 in boats and also a 12" sub that would be ideal.

I am also not 100% sure how to wire the four Rev10's into a two channel amp, do I run one pair into channel one, both positives together and both negatives together and then the same for channel two. I am thinking that this would change the speakers from 4 ohm to 2 ohm??

I guess the moral of the story is do it right the first time, the thing is that it sounded amazing in my garage but once out on the open water things were way different....I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money but now find that I have to spend even more to get what I want....I am pretty sure that the Rev 10's will do the trick :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X