• Show
Clear All

Question on amps for Wet Sounds system

2011 Tige RZR
    I currently have:
    4 XS-808
    2 XS-650 RGB
    2 Rev 10
    1 XS-XXX in a ported enclosure under the steering wheel.
    WS-420SQ
    1 Battery for the boat
    3 Batteries for the stereo bank
    Being ran with:
    2 SD6
    1 SD2

I believe there are 1 or more channels not being used on the SD6, but I had 2 last year so I figured they would work, but now I am able to spend money and make it sound better.
    I am adding 2 more Rev10's and possibly another XS-XXX sub.
    What is the optimum amplifier setup with and without the extra XS-XXX (cost doesn't matter)?
    I will sell whichever amps I need to in order to get the best configuration.
    Also, will the extra XS-XXX make that much of a difference?
    My system sounds good right now, but when I turn it up it starts to distort a little too early.
    It also does not have as much thump as I would like.

I would not sell any of those amps. You won't find better ones. Bridge a rev 10 on channels 1&2 for 585watts. Then bridge a rev 10 on channels 3&4 for 585. If you add another set of rev 10's, repeat that same step on your second sd6. Then you can run your six in boat speakers on channels 5&6 on both sd6 amps. Then bridge your xxx sub on your sd2 for 1250 watts.
    If you add another sub you may add one more sd2, but you may not need to. I can't remember how well one sd2 would power 2 subs w/out looking it up. I will also recommend the 420 sq. once I installed that in my boat it was very easy to get the whole system sounding great by adjusting individual components on each speaker. Good luck

Comment

Red,

Scratching out your system, I could see where you would have 2 open chnls on an SD-6.

Here is one option that comes to mind:
      Add another SD-2 for the 2nd XS-XXXv2

Wire the 2 pair of 808's in parallel on 2 chnls of SD-6 #1, wire the 1 pair of 650's on 2 chnls of SD-6 #1, leaving 1 Rev-10 bridged on the remaining chnls of SD-6 #1.

SD-6 #2 will drive the other 3 Rev-10 bridged into 3 chnl mode.

Another option:
      Trade one SD-6 toward two more SD-2's

SD-2 # 1 2 pair of Rev-10 @ 310W rms each
      SD-2 # 2 & 3 will drive the 2 XXX v2 subs @ 1250W rms each
      SD-6 will drive the 2 pair of 808's and 650's.

Also, will the extra XS-XXX make that much of a difference?
      Yes, by all means, there will be a difference. But, where that sub is located and how its executed will determine how much of a difference there is.

My system sounds good right now, but when I turn it up it starts to distort a little too early.
      A few things come to mind here and its not a problem thats going to be cured with more speakers and amp.

The XS-650's can absolutely be drive into compression (distort) when powered with the 185W rms thats available from the SD-6. Now, im not saying that cant handle the power, im saying the tuning has to be spot on. They should not be tuned symmetrically with the larger 808. I would check this.

Same with the Rev-10 bridged on the SD-6 for 585W rms. Too much gain or too low of a cross-over and they will distort at the upper volume levels.

All of the amp chnls driving in-boats and tower speakers should be run on Hi-Pass.

Music source. If you have some low quality, compressed downloads, you are going get that distortion. Maxing the volume on most MP3 players will also clip the signal. Sound quality also goes down when the head-unit's volume climbs past the 85% range. All these will lead to distortion.

Hope this helps.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisBarnes05-12-84 View Post
        I will also recommend the 420 sq. once I installed that in my boat it was very easy to get the whole system sounding great by adjusting individual components on each speaker.
        Thanks for the reply.
        I already have the WS-420SQ. (I noted in my original message). I definitely like it and also would recommend it to anyone who doesn't have one. Also, my son loves to say HI to people through the Mic.
        My issue is, if the in-boat speakers already sound a little distorted when turned up then by running less power to them, (as you are recommending) it will be even worse. I do not mind having 5 or 6 amps in the boat if that will make the distortion stop. I'm just looking for the cleanest sound I can get. I would have already replaced the 2 650's but the diameter of the 808's would not fit where 2 of the stock 650's are located. If I have to, I can add more 808's in other locations, I just hate to cut more holes in the boat if I do not need to.

Comment

I will have a new installation shop take a look at the tuning to see if they can make it sound any better. I wasn't very happy with the previous shops installation. I had to take it to another installation shop after they were done because they ran the battery bank wrong and it was draining my batteries.

What would you do if it were your boat to increase the sound quality of mid's and high's at louder levels?
          This is part of the reason I'm adding the other pair of Rev10's, but I'm not sure if that will solve my issue.

Music Source: I thought this may be the issue at first so I input a store bought CD instead of the MP3's and it still had distortion.

Thanks for information.

Comment

If you play MP3s, look at the iStreamer. I talked about it in this thread, post #12.

I cannot say enough good about this product for cleaning up MP3 sound.

Comment

Working...
            X