Sealing sub box with fibreglass resin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sealing sub box with fibreglass resin

Have reads lots of posts on here about sealing sub boxes and any other wood surfaces to keep moisture out, was wondering if you have to mix hardener into the resin or just paint on the resin itself and let it dry, thx

I use a 2-part epoxy that requires you mix the goods to a specific ration before applying. A little less activator and you get a little longer working time, a little more and its hardens faster. Too little and it stays tacky, too much and it will skim over in my cup before I can get around to all sides. I also do not use anything with actual fiberglass material in it. Thats mainly for adding strength. I use a pure sealer.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I did this on my sub box with multiple coats and it still got water logged and I need a new one. I would seal it with resin and then rhino line it for added protection or plan to build a new box every couple of years.

Comment

I heard most guys are now using birch wood, as it holds up better to water.

Also heard good things about having them linex

Comment

Thx for your input on this threads guys, I guess the beauty of the box and amp rack is you can build a new one every few years if you have too! I'm now worried about the wood strapping I glued to the inner hull to screw the rack to, it's resin coated but hopefully holds up a longtime cause those babies aren't coming off!!! Thanks guys

Comment

Anything wood needs to be raised off the sole or it will soak up water, regardless of what its coated with. This is what usually gets sub boxes, that or being covered with trunk liner carpet.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

FYI, if you seal a box then screw into the box it is no longer sealed. Make your box out of HDPE.

Comment

Working...
              X