What to upgrade to from a Kicker CVR10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to upgrade to from a Kicker CVR10

I currently have a CVR10 running off a 700.5 set up. Haven't heard anything else but this, since I have no one around here with any good stereos. What would be the next upgrade from this set up. I have s9hd tower speakers and 6.5 polks in the boat. I could build a box if needed but like the ease of the free air subs. I was looking at the wet sounds xs-10fa but still open to a boxed sub and build a box for it, if its a big difference.

Thanks!

Kyle

Building a box is going to be a must for that sub or any other in order to actually get a return on an investment, heres why. The CVR is not a true IB sub, so back-loading a sealed or vented enclosure would greatly improve its performance and only cost time and materials to construct the enclosure. After that, it would require going to a larger sub of the same coil configuration to move more air while maintaining the same output from the amp.

That amp has 420 watts rms available on the sub chnl @ 2 ohm. Your CVR10 is a 4 ohm dual voice coil wired in parallel. This puts that 2 ohm load on the amp, so its delivering its 420W rms potential. The 2 leading infinite-baffle subs, the XS-10fa and the JL M10IB are both 4 ohm. Switching to one of those would have the amp only deliver 210W. You would need to go with two of either of those in order to see an increase in output. Two 10's would be 2x the moved air.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Sounds like the box will be a good route to go, but would it be worth it to do away with the 700.5 amp and do a different amp set up? Run 3 amps....thoughts?

Comment

Do you see a lot of people doing a 2 sub set up in the same factory spot? Right next to each other? Without enclosures? With separate or one single enclosure for both?

Comment

Originally posted by KyleRass41 View Post
          Sounds like the box will be a good route to go, but would it be worth it to do away with the 700.5 amp and do a different amp set up? Run 3 amps....thoughts?
          That sub is handling about all the power it can handle in its infinite-baffle installation. So it could not handle any more power, making an amp change unproductive. A simple sealed enclosure would greatly improve its sound and output. A ported enclosure would yield a 3dB increase over sealed, with no amp or sub change!
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Do you see a lot of people doing a 2 sub set up in the same factory spot? Right next to each other? Without enclosures? With separate or one single enclosure for both?
            Not many on here, but I installed a 2nd xs-10fa in Imapigdogs 2010 22Ve

Comment

That CVR 10 really wakes up with a box. You will think that you upgraded to a 12" sub just by putting it in a box even with the 400 watts going to it. When I ran that sub, people were always amazed that it was just 1 10" sub. If you really want to upgrade, bump it up to a 12" and a box and you will be good to go.

Comment

I currently have a CVR10 running off a 700.5 set up. Haven't heard anything else but this, since I have no one around here with any good stereos. What would be the next upgrade from this set up. I have s9hd tower speakers and 6.5 polks in the boat. I could build a box if needed but like the ease of the free air subs. I was looking at the wet sounds xs-10fa but still open to a boxed sub and build a box for it, if its a big difference.

Thanks!

I was in a similar situation and built a box and upgrade to a Kicker L3 using the same factory amp you have. That was a huge difference and I think I was into the whole thing for under $200. It may have even been under $150. I just did this last year.

Comment

Perfect! Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Comment

Working...
                  X