wetsounds 12 in sub upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wetsounds 12 in sub upgrade

I want to upgrade my thump in my Z3. I have the stock Wetsounds 10 sub today and I have tweaked it per recommendations, turned up the seperate sub volume knob, etc and I am pretty sure the airspace is just not enough and the rest of the stereo just overpowers the 10. I want to upgrade to a 12 with a ported box from Austin based Hydrotunes. Unfortunately I cannot hear this configuration before setting it up. I know some have done the same upgrade, are you happy with that upgrade? I would like to complement the 2 ICON 8's I have and the interior speakers. I have a SYN 2 running the ICON's and a SYN 6 running the interiors and current sub. I understand this is a subjective opinion. Thanks as always for the help!

I did this upgrade last year in my RZ4. The XS 12 with a ported box hit pretty hard, I used a Syn 2 to power it. I have also heard a few Z3 with this set up and sound equally as good.

Comment

I was pretty disappointed in the XS10 in the stock location. I had to gain the interiors way down to not over power it. I'm also looking at different options for this year.

Comment

is this a pre made box that hydrotunes has? or are they custom building it?

Comment

CarFanatic this is going to be a custom made box. I have not specifically asked the Hydrotunes guys if they know or have a config they did like this that I can listen to. I will do that.

Gwhite94 thx for the info.

Comment

ok cool. I have a xs12 to put in my Z3, but haven't built a box yet.
            Last edited by CarFanatic; 01-20-2014, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boardman74 View Post
              I was pretty disappointed in the XS10 in the stock location. I had to gain the interiors way down to not over power it. I'm also looking at different options for this year.
              The XS-10 is a free air sub. It needs air space. With the newer models with Tige Touch and a panel behind the woofer chokes the woofer out. We have already begun working with Tige on ways to improve the bass response and get more of an enclosure behind it. The easiest way right now is to cut some holes in the back panel behind the woofer creating a net result in larger air space as it uses the entire seat cavity as the pseudo enclosure. Some have even made an enclosure behind the XS-10. Both are night and day differences in output. Of course stepping to the XS-12 is a huge difference. But i tell you the XS-10 hits very hard when in a larger free air set up or in an enclosure.

Austinsouthside, send some pics when you get it done. If Hydrotunes is doing it, it is going to slam. They have done a ton of high output Wet Sounds sub systems so they know them well

Tim
              Wet Sounds

Comment

Tim, seems like a lot of people fit a xs12 where the 10 is now. Which is what I am about to do to my 14 Z3. Why don't they just do that from the start?

austinsouthside, if you go with that location with your 12 let me know, I wouldn't mind having them build me an identical box while they do yours.

Comment

austin, is hydrotunes going to build you a box?

Comment

Thanks for the info Tim! I think removing that panel makes sense but I wonder with the Pro Ballast and the bags under the seats if I gain much. I will nose around under there before dropping the cash on the 12 and box.

Comment

Tim, How does the XZ 12 sound in hydrtunes ported boxes? I just talked to them and they suggested ported box for the XS12. They said you would agree. I am going to have them build me a box and ship it to me.

Austin, if you go with hydrotunes let me know. They are looking to getting a z3 from the dealer to build my box for me.

Comment

I agree that the XXXV2 will do best in a ported enclosure. Not to mention, you gain 3dB over a sealed with the same amp power. The V2 is noticeably more musical (SQ) then the original, which leaned more to the SPL side of things.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I would be interested in a box for my z3 so maybe we could get a discount if a few of us buy ?

Comment

ITs an XS12 not the XXX. Still sound good in a ported inclosure?

Comment

Originally posted by Travism View Post
                              I would be interested in a box for my z3 so maybe we could get a discount if a few of us buy ?
                              this might be a possibility, if we austinsouthside, decides to do it, then they could build 3 boxes all off his boat and possibly we could all work a deal since they could just knock 3 out at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X