Amp Questions…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp Questions…

I’m new to the boat audio scene but not new to audio…so I’m curious why I don’t see anyone running the amps like we use on Harley’s? Same concept and smaller footprint, for example, I use soundigital amps that are a quarter of almost all the wetsounds amps, cost a quarter of them, are class A amps and push big power…just curious if there’s a difference or ?

I think you can use what ever amp you are comfortable with. I went wet sounds they are decent with power draw per output. they also offer 6 Channel to keep the number of amps needed low. witch also helps with power draw. I was looking for a big stereo that can run all day wide open if needed. This happens once a year at wake fest, other than that it gets played at normal or low levels. I have been blown out at wake fest so it isn't loudest boat out there.lol but will hold its own.(that is ok)that is what A LiNK is for. One boat can't compete with 4 or 5.
    Anyways..... if you trust there (sound digital) numbers and they work for you and your budget. use them. I might get crucified for saying it but ""wet sounds is not the best out there any more" they are good but there is better. LOL... My entire boat is wet sound. I do trust WS numbers. why I went with them.

Comment

Wet Sounds does offer a Micro 4 chnl and mono. Kicker also has a whole lineup of pocket amps, same for JL and Rockford. So they are out and being used. However, id say they are relatively new to the marine/power sports scene v's the more traditional sized amps.

For boats, Class-D is where its at.

For me, I like the pocket amps for smaller boats and boats with smaller outboards or jets. Easy to mount and easy on the stators. However, im not sold on super small amps that produce huge amounts of power. With the lack of heat sink mass, I wonder what the long term lifespan is going to be.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

chpthril for the win with all the great tec data. The man knows his stuff. Answered every question I had when building my system. and I had a lot of them.

Comment

Ok, I was just curious cause like I said I run 2800w of soundigital on a 22 Roadglide and it all in the front fairing, hidden, with a dsp and lithium battery

Comment

What ever you do I recommend drawing it out first Know what power you are putting to what. it really helped me. Have you thought about your build? tower in boats and such?

Comment

gumby ive given it some thought, still asking questions, not sure on what head unit to use, I know I want the transom controller, I like the wetsounds in boat 6.5’s that have the RGB but don’t know if I have to have the controller for that also or what? Towers I like the wetsounds rev10-hd ones and I’d like a 12” wetsounds xxx but ill prolly do this build in stages.

Comment

If you want the full spectrum of colors, you will need an RGB controller. If you go with the Wet Sounds MC1, it has the capacity to be your LED interface when pared with the 4-zone controller.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

chpthril are the ws XS 65i a good replacement or what should I use for the interior speakers to pair with that mc-1

Comment

Are you shopping at Creative Audio? The xs-65i has been retired for like 6 years. They also didnt have RGB leds IIRC. The Recon-6 is the current mid-level version. They do offer an RGB version. The Revo-6 is the premium level and RGB leds come on all the Revo models.

Comment

chpthril just typed in wetsounds 6.5 and that came up. I believe there are 6 on the inside, my thinking is to replace those with mc-1 and use the current amps in the boat as a stage 1 and then work from there…what’s you’re input to do?

Comment

Heath420 I am certainly no authority. I have an MC1 like it for the most part. I like having stereo and lighting control in one pace. The interface is easy /setup. They have a transom remote. Mine had 0 distortion to 100% 4 zones control is probably the best part. example: top towers I run at 30% lower tower at 10% sub at 100% in boats at 40% and one click I can change it. The lighting is not Quite as easy but not hard.

Comment

gumby do you have to have the interface I keep seeing or does the mc1 control them just not the 4 zone control? Also are the recon 6.5 good or should I spend the extra and get the recon 6.5, trying to do this budget friendly, lol, if that’s even possible

Comment

The MC1 lacks the hardware to drive LEDs, it simply has the software to command the WS-4Z-RGB-BB.

In its own right, the Recon is a good speaker. However, if you were to demo the Recon next to the Revo, the difference is huge. Since you are looking to do this in stages, I would budget for the Revo

If the budget cant stretch, and the recon price point is where you need to be, I would honestly go with the Kicker KM654L. To my ears, its a little warmer, which I prefer.

Comment

You have to have the controller as chpthril says. Wet sounds can get tinny, to the point of harsh There are things you can do to keep this problem at a min. but doesn't come without a little work and know how. One of the things I didn't care for on the MC1 was no real EQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X