21V Amp Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21V Amp Upgrade

Slowly been upgrading my 21V over the past couple of seasons....now it's down to cleaning up the stereo/amp situation. Currently have 4 (2 rear / 2 bow) newer 6.5" polk DB's powered from the new Kenwood bluetooth deck, two newer 6.5" Polk DB tower speakers powered by a small amp (I believe 50w rms x 2 - boat is shrink wrapped an in storage currently) and a 10" Kenwood sealed sub (thinking about replacing the sub as well) powered by a 100w amp. Amps are old and in need of a refresh and the wiring is a mess. It has been quite awhile since I looked at amps and stereo products. Not quite sure what to do as far as power is concerned....we use the boat for surfing period and would like to hear the tunes a bit better behind the boat when surfing (FAE installed last season - which helped some). We probably should upgrade the tower speakers to a 8" but that isn't in the cards this season. Should I just power the tower speakers and sub from one amp or go with 2 amps and power all 6 coax's and the sub? Looking for some suggestions on amps/wattage/channel(s) suggestions for the boat. Not looking to buy top of the line but would like to put together a reliable/quality system that we can get the most out of during our short seasons up North and possibly allow the possibility of upgrading the tower speakers down the road. Thanks!

Are the polk tower speakers the old version with the silverish/gold grill or the new version thats all black? To make a noticeable difference in a speakers volume, you need to nearly double the wattage to it. Is it possible to do some googling based off memory and find what amp it is thats powering the tower pods.

Where is the sub and enclosure located?

Likely looking at a 2 amp setup, one for woofer and cabin speakers and one for tower speakers.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

They are the older style polk DB's with silver grill and gold cone. I tried to do some googling prior to posting my question on the amp and scrolled back through my pictures to see if I could find a picture of it....but no luck. If my memory serves me correctly it is an inexpensive Dual car amp that was probably swapped prior to trading the boat in. The sub and enclosure is located in the drivers foot area. Thanks!

Comment

For the tower, my fist choice would be the Kicker KXMA5004. In bridge mode, it can deliver up to 250W rms, so room wattage wise to upgrade to larger speakers later. My 2nd choice would be the KMA3604. Up to 180W x 2, so still some room to upgrade speakers.

For the cabin and woofer, the KXMA9005 is the best choice. Up to 400W for a 2 ohm woofer and room to add a 3rd pair of cabin speakers. The KXMA800.4 is also an option. Same 400W for a (4 ohm) woofer, but no room to add that 3rd pair of speakers. In the KMA line, the 6006 would work, but half the available wattage for the woofer.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
        X