Clarion CMD 6 and DD-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarion CMD 6 and DD-1

Does anyone have experience using a distortion detector DD-1 with a Clarion CMD 6? I am not getting a signal through the detector, the minimum voltage required by the DD-1 is 1.2 volts rms. Does the Clarion put out at least that much voltage? I’ve successfully bench tested the DD-1 using a Wetsounds WS-MC2 so I know the device works. I have split one of the Clarion’s amp outputs to two amps, that should be parallel therefore not reducing the voltage, but I’ve learned never say never.

IIRC, the CMD series has a 2V RMS. Have you tried all 3 pre-amp outputs? Also, you should be measuring the output with nothing connected, right? So your parallel amp RCA would not be relevant at this point. Been awhile since ive broke out my DD-1. Once I test one brand/model, I typically dont test the next one, just go back to my notes.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I attempted at using the DD-1 last summer. I became frustrated and put it on the shelf, but thought I’d give it another try this spring. I was using the preferred method of testing at the speaker outputs of the amps. I had all the speaker wires removed from the amps, but the RCA’s were still connected to all three amps. Would that reduce the voltage to less than the required 1.2? Do you happen to know what level the CMD 6 begins to clip?

Comment

Ok, im a bit lost as to which component in the signal path you are testing, the head unit or the external amplifiers? The DD-1 is used to find the pre-clip volume level of the head unit, to insure you have the max, clean signal into the amp. Its also used to find the max, pre-clip output of the amplifier. However, each test is different. There is a significant difference between the low voltage pre-amp stage on an RCA output and the hi-level amplified stage on the amp's outputs.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

According to the instructions, there are two methods. At the end of the head units preamp leads, the other is through the amp with the amp’s gains turned to minimum. The latter is the preferred method. Actually I’ve tried both methods with the Clarion with zero success, but it works with the Wet Sounds unit.

Comment

According to the instructions, there are two methods
            This may be where the confusion and poor results are coming from. There are 2 steps, not methods.

The DD-1 is used to find the pre-clip volume level of the head unit, to insure you have the max, clean signal into the amp

Its also used to find the max, pre-clip output of the amplifier.
            Call the tech people at SMD. Step 1 is determining how high you can turn up the head unit before the signal clips. Lets say for example max level is 40 and the max level before the head clips it 32.

Now take that 32 and now move on to how high you can turn the amp gain dial before the amp's output clips.

Comment

Working...
            X