Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the board and my 2021 ATX 24 Type S

Greetings all from beautiful Georgia!

I just picked up my 2021 ATX 24 Type S this past Saturday and already want to upgrade tower speakers to 4 8" WS Icons. Dealer said the wiring is 'there' in the tower, I haven't pulled the caps off yet to verify. My questions are as follows if anyone has the knowledge and is willing to assist.

1. Can any confirm the wiring is there and adding an additional set of tower speakers is "plug n play"?
    2. Are there any special connectors I would need?
    3. Are there any changes I would need to do on the amp? (Stereo wiring is not my specialty)
    4. Is this upgrade something I can/should handle on my own? I can buy the 2nd set of 8" Icon's for roughly 800 bucks....mounting to the tower is easy, just the wiring and amp setup is what I'm concerned about.

Thank you all for your time!
    Carl

Just to add.......the 2021 I purchased was an in-stock boat. I didn't order the boat, or I would have had 4 10"s installed from the factory and had the cans painted!
    (Speaking of which, has anyone painted their cans to match their boat? What paint did you use? How does it look?)

Comment

if I'm understanding you correctly the boat has a single pair already.
      our 2020 r23 had the wiring already in the tower(didn't have any tower speakers installed). pulled out the plugs and it took some fishing around to get all the wiring pulled out but it was all there and already spliced/wired correctly for running 4 speakers off a 2ch amp as long as it's 2ohm stable. otherwise you have to find the connectors and rewire if you want a higher ohm load. we installed 4 icon8's on our tower and it took me longer to take the speakers apart to install than to actually pull out the wiring to hook up. just be careful when you take the icon's apart to install the cans.

this is all assuming you already have 2 installed and an amp running them. our boat came stock with only the htx6 amp and only had the 6 inboats and single sub. I added 2 more amps and it was a complete PITA and ended up adding an aftermarket deck after trying to get the tige clear system to "see" 2 more amps. if you have 2 amps already then you're money.

no special connectors needed. hardest part imo was taking the speakers completely apart to mount the cans.
      if you have the second amp you shouldn't need to do anything special. plug and pray.

as to painting cans, never done it and never will. our towers have been black so no need to. if we had a different color tower I might explore that but I would use the off season and pay a paint shop to spray them. sure I could do it with rattle cans but in the end an automotive finish would look nicer imo. that's me tho. sure there are a lot that have sprayed them.

good luck.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I would try having the cans wrapped before I would paint it. If the wrap doesn’t work out, it can be removed.

Comment

What amp do you have currently running the 1 pair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Factory stereo is setup to drive 4 of the same speakers. So if you have the ICON option, that amp can run 4 of them (two pair). If you have a pair of Tige10's and want to add a second pair, the stock amp can run them. You cannot drive a set of Tige10's off the ICON base amp. Meaning if you want to run REV's or Tige10's instead of the icons, you will need a different amp.
            Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
              Factory stereo is setup to drive 4 of the same speakers. So if you have the ICON option, that amp can run 4 of them (two pair). If you have a pair of Tige10's and want to add a second pair, the stock amp can run them. You cannot drive a set of Tige10's off the ICON base amp. Meaning if you want to run REV's or Tige10's instead of the icons, you will need a different amp.
              Thanks! This is what I was looking for. The boat does have 2 amps already installed and was told the wires are there for the second set of Icon8's.... I bought the speakers earlier this week and they should arrive Friday so my task is to get them installed before lake time on Saturday!

Thanks again!

Comment

US, watch the polarity on the wires when you pull down the second set. iirc on my boat it was hard to tell which one was pos/neg. had to use the old speaker/battery trick to ensure I had them correct.
                2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Working...
                X