2020 stereo install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 stereo install question

ok, sorry for the length and did send an email to justin BUT figured I'd ask here as well so it's documented

installing a stereo addition into a 2020 r23.
    boat came stock with ws 6 inboats, free air sub and htx6. has 10" clear screen. all 3 inputs on the htx are being used, 1 bow, 1 cabin and 1 sub input.
    I added a couple amps I had laying around that were purchased for another project and didn't use. arc audio 300.2 and xti650(or something like that). plan was leaving htx wired as-is, using 300.2 for towers and adding another sub under passenger side with the last amp.

got all wired sans tower speakers and when turning it on, htx comes on and plays wired into zone1. turn power off, back on again and hiss with no sound. swap rca's to second zone(ones plugged into the tower 300.2) and htx works. swap back and no sound. decided it MIGHT be something with the rca's so I went ahead and installed the bt 420. used the 3 rca's that were in the boat again, with one set off boat, 1 set off tower and 1 set to sub and used zone1 from clear screen as the rca's to input to the bt420. turned it on and worked. cycled power off/on and hiss no sound. swapped the bt420 input to zone 2 and voila. worked. cycle power off/on again and hiss. swap rca's back to zone 1 and works fine.

don't understand why the clear screen is not putting out signals to all 3 rca outputs. the only thing I can think of is the amp remote turn on doesn't have enough juice to turn on all 3 amps and it's messing with it but that doesn't make sense to me.

any thoughts? anyone else messed with the tige clear stereo? I thought it could be rca's but if I swap back and forth it works fine but once power is cycled static is all I get. and maybe that is the issue. rca's don't feel like they are of the most robust design.
    I would ditch the bt420 as the clear would do most of what we need but that's what we started with and had the same issues. it should be as simple as grabbing full range output from clear, into 420 and on to 3 amps.
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

for whatever reason can't edit. website is slow as snot...
    should note that htx is wired "as is" but that means just speakers. I pulled the second and third inputs to run to the arc amps and set the htx to run off a 2ch input.
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Man I was totally going crazy messing around with the same things you are. I have 1 SYN-DX6 running the interiors and sub and a SyN-DX2 for the towers (4XREV10). The DX6 was toast so I installed an old 6 channel Inifnity amp and nothing but buzzing and hissing if all 3 RCA's were plugged in. Checked for ground faults, ran new RCA's direct to amp and the same result. I recently just received my replacement SYN-DX6, plugged everything back in and no buzzing or hissing. I still can't figure it out. Maybe if we chatted someday we could shed some light but somehow I believe the head ICE unit is the issue but it seems to work better with the wet sounds amp IMO.
      2017 RZX3

Comment

I don't understand how the system would only work with wetsounds amps. that makes no sense to me. it should be as simple as rca has signal out and whatever is amplifying that signal down the path should be irrelevant.
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

When I talked to someone at wetsounds last year about the 420 with Tige TouchII, they said you need to use RCA isolators. The isolator is a device that block DC voltage and passes AC signals. This may or may not be your issue. Call wetsounds and ask them to see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian View Post
            Man I was totally going crazy messing around with the same things you are. I have 1 SYN-DX6 running the interiors and sub and a SyN-DX2 for the towers (4XREV10). The DX6 was toast so I installed an old 6 channel Inifnity amp and nothing but buzzing and hissing if all 3 RCA's were plugged in. Checked for ground faults, ran new RCA's direct to amp and the same result. I recently just received my replacement SYN-DX6, plugged everything back in and no buzzing or hissing. I still can't figure it out. Maybe if we chatted someday we could shed some light but somehow I believe the head ICE unit is the issue but it seems to work better with the wet sounds amp IMO.
            This is an easy one. Id mock the temporary amp up on the bench with a different battery source, RCAs and source unit. Sounds like that amp has an issue.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The previous ICE media center was prone to noise issues when a WS-420 was placed in the mix. However, IIRC, the 2020 with 10" screen does not use the ICE, but the media is now integrated into the screen chassis.

As I think what Scott experienced, was noise with a new amp connected to the Media center. Id first suspect a ground loop due to the power cable terminations. As with Canadian's system, id mock the amp up completely independently to rule it out as the actual source of the noise.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

ok. lots of troubleshooting...

removed the 420 from the mix as it's adding a level of complexity to the setup.

ice unit ran directly to 3 amps. zone 1 goes to htx6. zone 2 goes to 300.2. zone 3 goes to 650.1 sub amp. turn on system and htx/sub work, tower is hiss. cycle boat off and on comes back on same way. turn boat on again and unplug zone 1 from htx6 and plug into 300.2 and amp fires up and plays. leave plugged in, cycle power and amp comes back on to static. unplug zone 1 from it, plug zone 2 back in and amp works. cycle power off with zone 2 still plugged in and static again.
                sub amp and htx6 seem unaffected. when switched, I can take zone2 at the amps and plug into htx6 and works fine. so it's not the rca cable nor the output at the ice unit.

never seen an amp do this. they either work or not. what would drive every time the inputs are switched it works until power is cut. guess once I figure that out I can then figure out the 420 issue.
                checked power/ground and rock solid. would think tho that if it's a connection issue that when rca's are swapped amp would still not work.

it's a mystery. might have to go pick up a cheap amp and try to see if that's the issue but not seeing how an amp would work once rca's are hotswapped.
                2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Ok, help me understand. Is it correct that you have 2 issues going on. One is static and one is that at times, the amp does not power on and play? These would likely not be connected, unless the amp is set to come on when music is sensed v's 12 turn-on. In the 12V turn-on mode, the amp turns on regardless of the even RCAs connected or not.

Comment

amp always powers on but plays static. until you switch the inputs at the amps then it plays music.
                    turn system on and htx/sub amp work fine. tower amp has static. remove input from htx and plug into tower amp and music plays fine. cycle power and amp with same input now plays static. swap back to original input and plays music.

2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I dont suggest unplugging/plugging in RCA with the system hot. Doing so could be triggering a self preservation mode until the media unit is power cycled.

Comment

Working...
                      X