2020 r23 stereo wiring hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 r23 stereo wiring hunt

got a 2020 r23. has the basic wetsounds 6 interior speaker, 1 sub and 1 amp setup.
    we are looking to add to it. adding 2 amps/tower speakers/additional dedicated sub and a ws420 under the dash. don't like volume thru the touchscreen and want to quickly fade interior/tower/sub. still toying with adding another battery up front to power it all and a dedicated on/off switch but likely we won't ever park at the "sandbars" here and we charge after every outing so thinking our current deep cycle will be plenty fine for a day on the water.
    that said, I found a bunch of rca's under the dash.
    is there a module that controls stereo and all the rca's and if so where would I look for it to trace back what I have to start with.
    is there wiring ran around the boat to the other side where amps would be mounted or does tige only run what's ordered(ie more rca's ran that are capped off)?

I see the tower is pre-wired so figure the wires are tied up under the pass. helm and will start to dig into that once I know if I have to run rca's.

really wish stereo gear was more universal. don't really want to use icon8's and was hoping to be able to choose jl or kicker but in talking to CHP, kicker is out due to mounting. I think I could get JL to work with some modification but no one local has a speaker to see/feel.
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

If you lay down the tower, you can see which side the tower speakers wires come down...

I too am planning to install a ws420 this offseason, so I am interested in where the rcas are under the helm too. I looked recently and the only rcas I found were for the cameras. I saw the screen, Pdm, and backside of the manual controls override, but no rca. When I bought the 420(last year), I talked to someone at wetsounds that said you have to use rca isolators between the touch screen and ws420. Do I need isolators between 420 and amp too? Anyone recommend an isolator that you’ve used? Dad Is this correct? I am planning to get power/gnd from the bus bars under the helm, but will be prepared to run power/gnd all the way back to the ACR if I end up with ground loop noise. I will only be connecting my towers to the 420 as I don’t want to lose fadding capability of the touch screen.

This is the backside of the touch2 screen where I thought the rcas would be....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

7" screens had a stand alone ICE module. 10" the module is integrated to the screen and RCAs come straight from the screen. I dont see why a guy couldn't pick one zone and run an RCA from the back of screen to the input of the WS 420 BT.

Not sure about isolators...that would be a Mike question. One would think you could actually Y into existing RCAs and keep screen function/zone control and run a 420BT but again....Mike has forgotten more about stereos than I'll ever know

Comment

mike indicated that some of the tige boats now have been picking up noise when adding a 420 so bamer is probably on the right track with isolators.

free- you know if tige runs a full set of rca's to the other side if you only buy basic 1 amp setup?

should also add not a fan of adding unnecessary crap to the system. not sure what an rca isolator does AND are there differences in a cheap one?
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Not sure if the zone 4 RCA is run in the harness(zone 4 is towers IIRC) You could look at pigtail at back of screen (should be 4 RCAs) or remove the split loom at amps and see of theres an unused RCA tucked in there. If not its pretty easy to run one under the walk thru cooler and sneak back into the harness by the port bow bag.

Comment

i ran all around the bow in last tige.
            how do you run under cooler. floor come up¿
            2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
            2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
              7" screens had a stand alone ICE module.
              Where is the ICE module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bow, stbd side. Mounted to the wall backside of helm. Little black box whit a harness that comes out with the RCAs. Communicates with screen via USB

Comment

I would upgrade the Ah of the existing house battery, before I tried to install a dedicated "stereo" battery remotely somewhere in the. The payoff will be well off of the cost, performance and user friendliness.

I know with the ICE, all 4 zones are full-range, so pick one to run to the WS-420, then just remember to keep it maxed and the master near maxed. Dont know about the integrated media unit 10" screen. So to be safe, use the outputs supplying the existing amp's full-range chnls.

As to ground-loop between the ICE and 420's, there is a module that Wet Sounds has available, so good to go there.

Tower speaker wires are likely going down the port side. I doubt its pre-wired with RCA for the other zones not optioned on your model, Could be wrong though, but I would not expect, and plan to run them.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                    mike indicated that some of the tige boats now have been picking up noise when adding a 420 so bamer is probably on the right track with isolators.

free- you know if tige runs a full set of rca's to the other side if you only buy basic 1 amp setup?

should also add not a fan of adding unnecessary crap to the system. not sure what an rca isolator does AND are there differences in a cheap one?
                    Adding the 420 and creating ground loops which can create static or engine alternator noise to be audible through the speakers has been an issue for years. Google it or search on the forum. There are 3 solutions to reduce/eliminate ground loops wrt the 420, run power cables all the way back to battery switch, add rca isolators or uninstall 420....

Comment

The noise issue Scott refers to me bringing up, is specific with the ICE box. IIRC, the ICE has non-differential outputs, and the 420/220 do not like it. Or its the other way around, the ICE has differential outputs. I looked back through some emails and cannot find the conversation from a few years back on this.

With that said, with any system, there is a best and less then ideal way to wire in a peripheral device like a WS-420.
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                        i ran all around the bow in last tige.
                        how do you run under cooler. floor come up¿
                        In my experience theres just enough room between the bottom of the cooler and the floor where bow bags are to sneak an RCA under there. I got to thinking....do you have the 7" or the 10" screen??

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post

In my experience theres just enough room between the bottom of the cooler and the floor where bow bags are to sneak an RCA under there. I got to thinking....do you have the 7" or the 10" screen??
                          10". I tried to run under the floor in my old supra and 22ve but 22ve I couldn't find access and supra had a bag running in the ski locker and didn't want cabling to get pinched with bag filling up.
                          picking up longer cables wasn't that much more but if there is an easy way to run them direct I'd be all over it.
                          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

If you upgrade to the smart wheel you will find volume control becomes MUCH better and more enjoyable to use....

Comment

I am sure but at $800 for the wheel that is likely not in the picture unless you have a spare sitting around for a steal.....

we liked the 420 as we use in boats when sitting and when surfing, we turn down the in boats and turn up the tower. easy to do and just as easy to crank down the volume on the 420 when rider is down. I suppose some of this is that I log more miles every year on 2 wheels than 4 so I rarely ever use the wheel controls in my truck. I reach for the volume knob in most cases.
                              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Working...
                              X