Tower Speaker & Sub upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tower Speaker & Sub upgrade

I have a 08 22VE, with the original wet sounds in boat speakers. In 2010, I added 2 Samson S7HDTower Speakers, driven by an Exile S500.1 Amp, and a 10" JL Sub driven by an Exile XI1K Harpoon Amp.

Last year the XI 1K Amp leaked a small amount of goo out of one corner. It didn't seem to affect anything,

This spring, I was chasing no bass issue, and discovered some green sticky substance on the RCA plugs on the S500.1 Amp.

With all that, I am looking to upgrade the tower speakers, both amps and maybe the Sub. Any suggestions for upgrades?

Shot in the dark, but by chance was the woofer powered by the mono channel 500.1 and tower speakers powered by the 2 channel harpoon?

DO you know specifically which JL 10" and its coil configuration? Was it infinite-baffle, sealed or ported enclosure? This helps set the bar on where you are now. An upgrade in the woofer would be a larger woofer, say......a 12".

Tower speakers, an upgrade would be to move from those 6.5" HLCDs to something in 8, 9, 10 or 11" HLCD. or, an 8" coaxial if the focus is more on surf/party cove listening and less on wake-range. For best of both and all around volume and sound quality, you'd want to go with the larger HLCDs like a 10" or 11".

Once the woofers and speakers are decided upon, the amps are easy to pick.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Yep, chpthril, your shot in the dark is correct. Sub model is M10IB5-CG-TB, and is in a ported box approx 1.2 cu ft inside with a 3 inch port. I don't think a 12" sub will fit in that box.

Goal is to be able to hear 70-90 feet behind the boat. ( We sit down hydrofoil, mostly) Also prefer not to blast those in the boat.

Comment

1.2" is going to be too small for quite a few woofers, 10 or 12 inch. With that said, the "IB" in the woofer's model number = Infinite-Baffle. That woofer is not designed for a small enclosure, sealed or ported. It needs something in the 3.0ft3 or greater range. So its likely performing poorly.

So, new enclosure of proper size to accommodate a woofer designed for a small enclosure, or remove the box and go with a larger infinite-baffle woofer.

8" or larger HLCDs with proper power will do well for wake range projection. Larger HLCDs gets you better near field sound quality.

Zone control will help with bringing down the in-boat volume while you crank the tower speakers.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

if you want to stay with the same size box, move to a JL 12w6. had this sub in the last 2 boats and it flat out rocks-but a little pricey. you would have to seal up the port as it calls for a cubic foot of space. 1.2 would be close to ideal by the time you figure basket size. this is assuming you want to replace AND it'll fit in the dimensions of the box you have currently.
          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Ok, so it sounds like I need to toss the box. What if I move existing sub to the panel below the helm and put REV10s on the tower. Would that be a more than acceptable solution with the right amps and something like a WS420 equalizer?

Comment

Where is the woofer now? Closed in a locker?

Comment

Yes, in the locker in front of the helm.

Comment

That even adds to its lack of performance.

It would be a HUGE improvement to A) get it out of that too small of a box. and B) get it out of the locker. If you feel around the carpet under the helm, you will find a perforated circle for a 10" woofer. Cut away the carpet, complete the circle and mount the woofer.

Id go with a good mono amp thats going to deliver 300-400W rms at 4 ohm. This gives you plenty of wattage as well as headroom.

Comment

I agree with chpthril. Get that sub out and under the front helm. I just upgraded my box over the winter with this Orion 12" that I already had an added a second one to the passenger locker of my VE. Also, moving the 6.5" forward made a huge difference for me being the driver.

Comment

Sure thing! We can talk here, private message, email or phone.

Comment

How can you fix locker doors on rear hatch in 2002 21v

Comment

Originally posted by ern
                          Well, it won't let me private message you, so my email is ern_graf@yahoo.com
                          Replied via private message.

Comment

Working...
                          X