Left tower speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left tower speaker

Hey speaker gurus. I have 2 of these kicker tower speaker, and the 6” mids aren’t working on the port side. I think the tweeter is working (sound seems to come out of the horn in the middle). I double checked all wiring , seems to be connected. Do I need to take the boat apart and check connections inside? I don’t seem to have a balance control (LR) ok my head unit ). Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing I would do, is swap the speaker leads at the amp. What ever chnl the suspect pod is wired to, move those wires to the chnl that the working pod is on and move the working pod's wires to the suspect amp chnls.

Would be odd for both mids to blow at the same time, but possible depending on amp power and settings. A failed cross-over could result on both mids being out, but this would require removing them and ohm'ing them out.

An amp issue or setting could be the cause.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks , I’ll swapping speaker leads tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by jackfly View Post
        Thanks , I’ll swapping speaker leads tomorrow

Finally got around to swapping wires. Problem seems to be with the speaker.

Comment

If my connection at the tower pivot was bad, would that cause this issue? The tweeter horn works but doesn’t sound right.

Comment

I assume this might have something to do with it? I have no idea what I’m looking at.

Comment

The entirety of the music travels via the 2 wires to each pod. So if the tweeter is producing something, then it does not point to a connection. With that said, that is not an ideal point for those splices. Seems those butt or bullets are getting jammed into the small tower hole when the tower is folded back up. Not sure of a good way to resolve without a fair mount of slack or just pulling 2 more 2-conductors.

If you have a volt/ohm meter, you can measure the impedance right at the pods binding posts. Should be a shade under 4 ohm. Next, would be to pull the mid-bass drivers out and ohm them. Shaping up to be a bad cross-over.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Yes, that severed wire would do it. Thats the cross-over. Is that wire in the input side of the cross-over or on the output to the woofers?

Can you tell if that wire is cut, burned, pulled apart?

Comment

That’s the input side. Looks like it was cut. The crossover came out of its mount and is hanging loose. Can it be soldered?

Comment

Comment

Repair the wires, secure the cross-over and prevent the cut wire in the future and that pod will be good to go for a long time.

Comment

Thanks for the info!! I solders the wires and secured the crossover. As soon as it cures I’ll reinstall. Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
                        X