Cost Guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost Guard?

So what cost do we guard against using life jackets?
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Usually a vasectomy works well j/k

I have an extra ordinary amount of life jackets in the boat. More jackets than passengers allowed for sure.
    Last edited by da.bell; 08-26-2010, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
      I have an extra ordinary amount of life jackets in the boat. More jackets than passengers allowed on the boat.
      I guess that's one way of keeping costs down...bring jackets instead of friends...
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Off the top of my head, in TX it's a $325.00 fine to the boat owner if there are kids under 13 not wearing lifejackets while underway. Not sure what the fine would be if there wasn't enough for all adults but I think it would be similar, very expensive. I got an extra set of 4 life vests from Bass Pro Shops for $50 and they come in a nice storage bag, cheap insurance to make sure everyone has a life vest.
        2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
        2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
          Off the top of my head, in TX it's a $325.00 fine to the boat owner if there are kids under 13 not wearing lifejackets while underway. Not sure what the fine would be if there wasn't enough for all adults but I think it would be similar, very expensive. I got an extra set of 4 life vests from Bass Pro Shops for $50 and they come in a nice storage bag, cheap insurance to make sure everyone has a life vest.
          in 2004 when I got mine for being one short it was 230... for what ever it's worth.
          Originally posted by G-MONEY
          It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
            I got an extra set of 4 life vests from Bass Pro Shops for $50 and they come in a nice storage bag, cheap insurance to make sure everyone has a life vest.
            I was told by TVA, who along with TWRA and the local police, patrol the river that having life vests in a storage bag is not considered available. I started to argue the case and ask for the exact citation but since my boat registration sticker renewal had not been applied (paid for and at the house) I let it drop.

I once got stopped three times within the span of an hour. Once by TVA, once by TWRA, and once by the Kingston police. They all want revenue and attacking boaters is the way to get money.

The Kingston police gave me a $50.00 citation because one of my vest had a one inch tear in a seam. They said that made the vest unuseable and that they were doing me a favor by ONLY giving me a $50.00 fine as I could have been fined $250.00. Even though there were only three people on the boat and we had five other good preservers.
            Ray Thompson
            2005 22V

Comment

Originally posted by raythompson View Post
              I was told by TVA, who along with TWRA and the local police, patrol the river that having life vests in a storage bag is not considered available. I started to argue the case and ask for the exact citation but since my boat registration sticker renewal had not been applied (paid for and at the house) I let it drop.

I once got stopped three times within the span of an hour. Once by TVA, once by TWRA, and once by the Kingston police. They all want revenue and attacking boaters is the way to get money.

The Kingston police gave me a $50.00 citation because one of my vest had a one inch tear in a seam. They said that made the vest unuseable and that they were doing me a favor by ONLY giving me a $50.00 fine as I could have been fined $250.00. Even though there were only three people on the boat and we had five other good preservers.
              wow that sucks!!

Technically I would agree with him on the available part, that is in the law. Even having the right number not out, ie in the ski locker doesn't count as available.

One thing I will say is that since everyone is broke wioth all the state budgets and what not you will find they are pulling people over more and more to increase funding.

Houston went on a 30 day ticket writing spree and raised over 4 million in ciations. So yeah people look out, the gray areas that you used to not get pulled over for you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
                Even having the right number not out, ie in the ski locker doesn't count as available.
                I don't know what "available" is supposed to mean. I have read the regulations and have found nothing that states that vests cannot be in a storage compartment. All the rules state is that they cannot be "below deck".

Second, each device must be kept readily accessible. They should not be hidden below deck or stored in plastic bags. They should be worn or at least be close at hand where they can be reached quickly in an emergency.
                What is considered below deck? What is considered readily available? Seems like the last condition is open to interpretation of the mood of the official.

The rules also state there can be no rips or tears affecting the operation of the device. A small tear, such as I had in a seam, did not affect the operation in any such way. All they wanted was to find a reason to issue a citation. Revenue to pay for the fuel they used on their boat.

When I owned a waverunner I thought the issue of fire extinquisher was absurd. Here I am sitting on 15 gallons of gas. If there is a fire I am going to reach over the handlebars, open a compartment, unscrew a lid, take out the extinquisher, turn and point the thing between my legs and put out a fire. Yeh, right. I would bail and hope the flames and smoke would attract others.

A lot of the rules are ambiguous so that if needed the officer can find something wrong, somewhere. That way if you give them flack they can cite you because they simply do not like you. It is their judgement against yours and their cousin the judge will always agree with them.
                Ray Thompson
                2005 22V

Comment

Originally posted by raythompson View Post
                  I don't know what "available" is supposed to mean. I have read the regulations and have found nothing that states that vests cannot be in a storage compartment. All the rules state is that they cannot be "below deck".

What is considered below deck? What is considered readily available? Seems like the last condition is open to interpretation of the mood of the official.

The rules also state there can be no rips or tears affecting the operation of the device. A small tear, such as I had in a seam, did not affect the operation in any such way. All they wanted was to find a reason to issue a citation. Revenue to pay for the fuel they used on their boat.

When I owned a waverunner I thought the issue of fire extinquisher was absurd. Here I am sitting on 15 gallons of gas. If there is a fire I am going to reach over the handlebars, open a compartment, unscrew a lid, take out the extinquisher, turn and point the thing between my legs and put out a fire. Yeh, right. I would bail and hope the flames and smoke would attract others.

A lot of the rules are ambiguous so that if needed the officer can find something wrong, somewhere. That way if you give them flack they can cite you because they simply do not like you. It is their judgement against yours and their cousin the judge will always agree with them.
                  yes i agree lots of the rules are all written to allow them lots of gray area. We have the same with front plates in tx, some consider the rule to be in the front of the car, define front? windshield? bumper? hood, what...

In the prerecission days money was out so they didn't have to find their funding, but now that money is tight they are writing them as much and as fast as they can. lots of interpretation all up to the officer, sucks doesn't it. They are just hoping you won't fight it and you will pay it, but if you fight it the court still gets court costs, so you still loose

Comment

Working...
                  X