I Need Some Ceiling Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Need Some Ceiling Speakers

Our new house came pre-wired for in ceiling surround sound speakers. Anyone have any that they would recommend? I need some that are loud, clear and don't necessarily need to have much bass because I have a 15" cerwin vega sub that will shake the house.

Thanks
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Look at ragboy's stereo and tv thread. I think you might get a great idea from his system.

Bose are expensive :02

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
      Look at ragboy's stereo and tv thread. I think you might get a great idea from his system.

Bose are expensive :02
      I don't think he has the in-ceiling speakers tho....

But the projector would be sweet and I have the room for it!

I should just get some wetsounds....
      Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

I have had both bose as well as Klipsch THX. THe Klipsch sound better IMO, but I always suggest you find a store that has them installed and do a demo yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by jwanck11 View Post
          I have had both bose as well as Klipsch THX. THe Klipsch sound better IMO, but I always suggest you find a store that has them installed and do a demo yourself.
          I need to do that, the hard part is finding a place that has the ones I'm looking at to demo.

Comment

polk audio has great home speakers i have bose but i've owned polk 2 plus look at jbl

Comment

Klipsch 8" with swiveling tweeter.

http://www.jr.com/klipsch/pe/KLP_CDT5800C/

BTW, I'm not usually a fan of Klipsch but for in ceiling they do a pretty good job. I installed them myself and it wasn't hard at all.
              "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
              "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

Another vote for klipsch for a less expensive option. I like electra voice, but they can be hard to find and will cost more. Is the hole already there or just the wires, cause that could be a determining factor.

Comment

but if you want the best and not the cheapest...

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/displa...=ht&infid=3496
                  If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

I have Paragidm....www.paradigm.com/ I think they are neat

Comment

Ceiling Speakers.... Hmmm....

From someone on this side of things, understand that at the mid to lower-end of the spectrum, many of the differrent brands available out there are all made in the same few plants overseas. If you really have an opportunity to compare, you will be amazed to find that mechanically a whole lot of them are identical except for the name badge and the sticker on the back of the woofer motor.

In light of that, I make recommendation based on these criteria:
                      *Make sure you are getting a speaker with a rubber surround; that roll thingie at the edge of the cone. Rubber will stand up better than foam.
                      *Tweeter material: if you have a habit of listening to and liking metal domes in your boat or car stereo, chances are you will want to go with metal domes for your ceiling speakers. Similarly, if you prefer resin-impregnated cloth or silk, you may want to go that way. OR... if you have a certain tweeter material in a home speaker you intend to use in the same room, or have been using already, go with a similar material for the ceiling speaker. This critera is not so much a performance thing, but a personal taste thing...
                      *Tweeter size: bigger is better. 1" is really nice, especially with a dome. The 1/2" mylar tweeters can be bright and beamy sometimes...
                      *Crossover: for best sound quality you want to see a hi-pass circuit for the tweeter, AND a low-pass circuit for the mid/woofer. Super-inexpensive ceiling speakers often omit the crossover circuit for the mid, allowing it to receive a full-range signal. Crossover specs might be hard to find, but the better quality system will have a 12dB per octave or higher crossover for the tweeter, and at least a 6 dB per octave crossover for the mid.
                      *Construction/quality: This one can be hard to describe, yet once you have studied a few, becomes intuitive. You want to purchas something that is solid and well built; something that has that "feel" of quality. IF it feels cheap, it really is...

Trust your ears. Try to listen to some. Despite costs and perceived quality, your ears are the ones that have to live with your purchase decision. All the smooth blah blah talk a salesman might give you is helpful, but in the end if he steers you to a certain pair based on some set of features, yet you still do not like how they sound, you are going to regret it. Make sure that you do not end up with speakers that just sound awful by taking the time or making the time to listen to some.

Corrolary to that last statement: As long as your purchased speakers do not sound just absolutely awful, and assuming you are connected to quality electronics with some simple control, anything you buy of reasonable quality based on some simple criteria will work well. For a great number of the population, the ear/brain mechanism does a wonderful job of adjusting to slight differences between speakers... Given a little time, little minor imperfections tend to be un-noticeable... Your ear/brain tends to just sort of "forget" and/or re-equalize for the speakers.
                      It's not an optical illusion.
                      It just looks like one.....

Comment

Originally posted by mtnsmith View Post
                        Another vote for klipsch for a less expensive option. I like electra voice, but they can be hard to find and will cost more. Is the hole already there or just the wires, cause that could be a determining factor.
                        Just the wires coverd with a wall plate.

Comment

I'm thinking about these but I want to go down to best buy and see if the have them installed so I can listen to them first.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1171672433817

* (continuous) power
                          * 8" polypropylene mica filled cone woofer and dual 3/4" dome tweeters
                          * In-ceiling design blends into your home décor while utilizing the wall or ceiling as a cabinet for an immersive sound

* SoundMax crossover network allows both tweeters to evenly distribute sound while minimizing interference
                          * Natural Sound for enhanced audio quality
                          * Swivel tweeter aims sound where you want it
                          * Aluminum grilles are paintable so you can color match your walls or ceiling
                          * Frequency Response: 50Hz - 28kHz
                          * Sensitivity: 86 dB
                          * Impedance: 8 ohms
                          * Mounting diameter: 9-7/16"
                          * Mounting depth: 4-13/32"

Comment

backordered....
                            It's not an optical illusion.
                            It just looks like one.....

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
                              backordered....
                              That just means people are so happy with them best buy can't keep enough in stock.

Ebay.....

and other online stores have them in stock

Comment

Working...
                              X