anyone in sales these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone in sales these days?

Because I am. Been with a local office equiptment dealer for about two years. Selling copiers. But I'm pretty burned out. I'm looking for another gig, because I think that will help, but things as we know suck on the employment front.

What do you guys do to stay motivated? I've got a great product line (in a highly competative arena) and I've never had this issue before. It mostly stems from some poor business ideals within the company I work for. The company is stable, but I don't know how long that will last. All speculation an the part of peeps who work there.. With some obvious information to back some if it up.

I think the Sword of Damacleas hangin over my head has finally gotten to me. Suggestions appreciated...
    "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

^^^ IMO, stay where you are right now.. The economy is in such a tank that trying to find another job or opening up another business would be very difficult. Holding out until the economy gets a little better is probably the best choice right now.

However, if you decided to start your own company, there are many federal programs that can help you with financing on approved credit that could get your business going.

Comment

A buddy of mine switched sales jobs and had 9 sales cycles going at the new company in 45 days. He was cut at 46 days when they laid off based on seniority... They thanked him and sent him on his way...
      If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

I'm in sales as well, I work for the largest wire and cable distributor in the world and things are slow. I work in the industrial division and everything we sell is copper sensitive. Last year copper hit a all time high and was over $4 a pound and we could not sell fast enough. Today copper is around $1.50 a pound and our we are slow. Looks like everyone spent their money forced to buy at $4 and now can't afford anything.
        Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
          ^^^ IMO, stay where you are right now.. The economy is in such a tank that trying to find another job or opening up another business would be very difficult. Holding out until the economy gets a little better is probably the best choice right now.

However, if you decided to start your own company, there are many federal programs that can help you with financing on approved credit that could get your business going.
          Man it's hard out there for a pimp huh guys? LOL

I'm looking at staying, mostly out of necessity, but I'm also looking at this as a self improvement project. I am fully aware that it may take some time, but I need to get the ball rolling one way or another. Buckle down and
          Make the best of this gig, or find a better one. I feel like I'm cheating everyone involved if I try to do both at the sametime.

I'm in a decent spot, but I have to think there is that perfect position out there just waiting for me to earn it. Know what I mean Vern?

Comment

There is definitely a perfect position but trying while not knowing what the economy will do just sucks right now. Today, I am running charts against the amount of loans that we have guaranteed. Here is what it looks like. Very depressing IMO and consistant with the current economic times.
            Attached Files

Comment

Is that chart upside down?
              If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

Unfortunately, no

The chart reflects the amount of loans we get in from month to month. As you can see, it's going down. The funny thing here is that I utilize the charts to show how the economy is... When we are booming, there are tons of people requesting loans. When the economy is bad, well.... you can see that on the chart.

So, this is what PLP stands for: Definition

So, Tequila. Work on a business goal now and get that going. You can definitely get a much better stance if you start now while keeping your current job. When the economy does change and starts to rise, that is when you should take advantage and do it.

Then, if you are just looking for another job, I would also wait. Did you see that unemployment line??? It's a little long and seems to be getting longer and longer.... Keep the job that you have for now

I know, not the answer you wanted but it's the truth right now.
                Last edited by da.bell; 03-05-2009, 04:51 PM.

Comment

The risk of taking on a new job with what may appear to be a stable company is oh so risky. In 2008 we had a fantastic year even though the last quarter tanked on us in late November and December. Because business between 07 and 08 where ramping up we added resource in QA and a couple in development to get rid of tome needed for custom developmment which is profitable but distracting from the bigger picture. Bad news is the 4 new people we hired even with adjussssstments are at a high risk because they are new. When I was VP I also factored in talent and and made as much of me decisions based on talent. I am an exception.

BFL is if you are looking at taking a chance,eyes wide open time not eyes wide shut.

Good luck dude. At least you are not 51 5/6 years young...

Comment

all very good comments! I'm not really looking to start my own business, I like the idea of that, but I'm not sure what I would do. I have a few ideas for Internet based stuff, but that is more free time stuff than actual employment.

That graph of loans looks like something I would like to
                    Ski, but not something I want to represent our economy... Yuck

Comment

I would add one thing, its a good time to start a business in certain areas. For me, I have been lucky, and took on some clients contracts in the california energy market, and they are cranking. Also, I am finding lots of people who need work. I have never had a more willing/able pool of people to hire, and so my costs are down.

That is the plus of this economy. If you have a business that can thrive in this, its a great time, due to low costs, and large pool of workers. Just make sure you have the right idea first!
                      http://wake9.com/

Comment

Hi guys,
                        I know I am late to this party but wanted to add my two cents. I am a Dir. Bus. Dev. for a privately held f&b company out of Dallas. We operate restaurants, hotels convention centers, stuff like that. I came from fast paced hotel catering sales with a cycle of 3 months on average. My sales cycle now is generally over a year so it is a big change and as such I find myself sometimes wanting another sales gig with quicker turn times. 8 months ago I took a hard look at where I want to end up and realistically how much I need to make to feel secure. The end result is that I am staying put for at least five more years to plan for a future business. In my case I plan on investing in an emerging franchise concept or some sort of knockoff of a successful one.

In my humble opinion Tequila I would stay put, rock out your worth to the company and plan to eventually take over the world with your own brilliant plan/business concept. After all, whenever you are off work, on the water, bev of choice in hand and hanging with friends and family. Nothing else matters.

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                          I would add one thing, its a good time to start a business in certain areas. For me, I have been lucky, and took on some clients contracts in the california energy market, and they are cranking. Also, I am finding lots of people who need work. I have never had a more willing/able pool of people to hire, and so my costs are down.
                          Just to add 1 point to your post, the California "renewable" energy market is going to explode.

This is a market I'm currently trying to get in to. Southern California Edison just signed the largest solar energy deal in history.
                          Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by G-MONEY View Post
                            Just to add 1 point to your post, the California "renewable" energy market is going to explode.

This is a market I'm currently trying to get in to. Southern California Edison just signed the largest solar energy deal in history.
                            How do you figure G?

The problem with renewable energy is that our "grid" sucks and we can't really get the renewable energy to market. Until the Govnmt steps in and gives 1 trillion to the market to make a new grid, the renewable energy is screwed IMO.
                            Originally posted by G-MONEY
                            It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
                              How do you figure G?

The problem with renewable energy is that our "grid" sucks and we can't really get the renewable energy to market. Until the Govnmt steps in and gives 1 trillion to the market to make a new grid, the renewable energy is screwed IMO.

I agree with you 100% but they are pushing the he!! out of it right now. As of right now there are 3 monster projects in the works for solar plants in So Cal. The amount of energy solar and wind plants generate are worthless to the amount of money and land these take to build and you know who is going to pay for it...US with huge rate increases. GO GREEN

Comment

Working...
                              X