1080p vs 720p TVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1080p vs 720p TVs

Does anyone own both, if so can you tell a difference?

I have a 50inch 1080p and I love the picture but I am thinking about buying a smaller TV for our master bedroom. I thought about buying a 720p since we watch most of our TV in the living room and I also didn't want to spend the extra for a 1080p.

But I am curious to know if there is a big difference.

Thanks

As long as you aren't watching Blue Rays, I don't think you are going to see a difference.

I think it also depends on the brand of the TV. I just put a 32" Sceptre 1080P LCD in my bedroom (it was only $300), and I think my 720P 42" Panasonic Plasma has a better picture. I think both of them have a better picture then my Hitatchi 50" Plasma which is 1080I.

Comment

1080p should have noticably clearer picture if you have them side by side, like in the store. When you get either one of them home and do not have something right beside it to compare it to the 720p will look just as good. I am really in to Blu-ray movies so I would go 1080p, just because that is the format they are in.

Comment

Anything under 40 or so inches, 1080p is a waste of money We got the kids each a 32" LCD for cheap and they are great.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

It is very interesting, or rather not interesting at all, to stand in front of essentially the same TV, one a 1080p and one a 720p, which I did. The two were 50 inch Panasonic plasma tv's. I really believe the store made a mistake in putting the 2 right next to each other because there was absolutely no difference. I mean I stood there for like 10 minutes trying to find something, anything, that made the 1080 look more crisp, etc. Nada. Now let me see, I could spend $899 for the 720, or $1500 for the 1080. I chose the 720p. The picture is amazing.

I have now been researching projectors, and I found a few very frank reviews, again basically saying that unless you are going blue ray, you can't tell the difference. Funny thing is that now prices of 1080's are coming down to the price where people will buy it (aka "affordable"), so 720's are becoming more difficult to find and likely you won't be able to buy one before too long.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
            Anything under 40 or so inches, 1080p is a waste of money We got the kids each a 32" LCD for cheap and they are great.
            I agree. I have three HD sets and the onessmaller than 40" you cannot tell the difference between a 36", a 32: @720P and my 44 or 46 inch 1080P.

What is interesting is that my 720P Samsungs are now reporting 1080I resolution with AT&T U-Verse feeding the system. I put my Blue ray on the 720P samsung and blue ray report either 1080I or P. I don't remember

Comment

Dang it, I have search for a posting that Ragboy did about the different viewing distances and which format would be okay at certain distances.

Sorry, the search is working for me but I'm haveing a brain fart of what to search on... Already did bluray, hd, and hdtv and didn't provide what I was looking for. I am sure ragboy can find it.

Comment

To really see the difference both tvs need to be showing the same thing that is 1080p. Most sports are taped in 720p, because 1080p does not like the fast movements, unless it is one of the newer 120hz lcd's

Comment

If you are around 40" or below go with the 720p. In order to tell a difference on such a small screen you need to be within a few feet or less.

If you ever go to any game website, (xbox, ps3, etc.) everyone is always bragging about their 32" 1080P!!!!!! And I just laugh at the couple extra $$$ they wasted.

Also I have read reviews on TVs and some people say that even though they say 720p, when they hook up their Xbox, PS3 or cable box it will display the 1080p signal.
                  Common Sense is not so Common
                  Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

It does recognize the 1080p signal, but will down convert to 720p.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Garcia View Post
                      Does anyone own both, if so can you tell a difference?

I have a 50inch 1080p and I love the picture but I am thinking about buying a smaller TV for our master bedroom. I thought about buying a 720p since we watch most of our TV in the living room and I also didn't want to spend the extra for a 1080p.

But I am curious to know if there is a big difference.

Thanks
                      What size are you looking at?

Comment

Im looking at a 32inch LCD for our bedroom.

The next question is 60hz or 120hz? Most likely sports wont be watched on this, I have my 50inch plasma for this.
                        Last edited by Matt Garcia; 03-02-2009, 09:30 PM.

Comment

60hz will be fine for a 32"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Garcia View Post
                            Im looking at a 32inch LCD for our bedroom.

The next question is 60hz or 120hz? Most likely sports wont be watched on this, I have my 50inch plasma for this.
                            Go with the lowest cost system that you think looks the best. Technical specs are irrelevant at that size.
                            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                              Go with the lowest cost system that you think looks the best. Technical specs are irrelevant at that size.
                              That is what I am thinking as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X