Stock Market - pull out or stay in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Market - pull out or stay in?

Ok, I've ridden out the past year and hopefully have seen the bottom; on average down 50%.

I was thinking of pulling out about half of my investments now, and of course leaving half in, with plans of still investing so I have dollar cost averaging. Then looking at putting that lump sum back in maybe another year. I almost think things will get worse before better.

What is everyone else doing?

I pulled out a year ago and reinvested about 75% around Thanksgiving. I am up about 10%. Thank god for Dry Ship.
    "Injuries heal, but puss you take to the grave."

Comment

I'm sticking. I don't need it now, so I'll just jump off the rollercoaster at the top instead of near the bottom.

Comment

Only pull out if you need to have the loss for tax purposes or you need the money in the short term. Otherwise stay in and ride the wave. Historically the market has always rebounded and it is just a matter of time.

I have lost (on paper) enough money to buy four new Tiges. I have about 9 years until I will need to start using the money. Hopefully everything will be back to normal by then. To back out now would make those losses real.

Of course gas will be $7.39 a gallon and I will be too old to enjoy the boat.
        Ray Thompson
        2005 22V

Comment

Depends on your needs.....I have a ways to go till retirement and have actually increased my exposure to the stock market......but I try to buy low and sell high, a concept that many in America just don't understand!

Comment

I've lost almost 50% of my 401k because I have everything in high risk stuff but I have 30+ years until retirement so I am just going to leave everything alone for awhile and see what happens. If it hasn't done some sort of rebound in a year I will take 1/2 of my investments and move them to something else and then give it another year before I move the other half. I don't know that this is the best plan, but I am hoping that I won't need to put it in motion.

Comment

I don't need it so I have just left it and started increasing more into the stocks to buy low. Hope it works, but like others have said I don't need anything for a long time, so why let it bother me. I like the fact that now I'm buying full shares every month instead of just half or smaller shares.
              Originally posted by G-MONEY
              It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X