Universal Remote - Opinions/Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universal Remote - Opinions/Advice?

As the title states I am looking for opinions or advice on a universal remote to control my TV, receivers, DVD, etc etc.

The touch screen remotes look appealing but not sure if its worth it?

My budget is $100-$150.00.

Thanks in advance.

For a little more, go with the Logitec Harmony 800 series remote.

It's soooo worth it. You'll throw all your other remotes away...I've had mine for 2+ years and can't imagine life without it. It's so easy to use once it's set up, which was the primary criteria for me. I didn't want to field the calls from the family about all the devices in my home theather setup. I've since added a bunch of devices and replaced a couple. It takes me a couple of minutes to adjust the settings on the remote.

It's not cheap, but it's got rechargeable batteries and is so easy your wife can operate it.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I have the Logitech Harmony 550 and LOVE IT!!

It was on sale at best buy for 79.00 dollars the other day and it's really cool. I bought one for my mom too.

We also bought the more expensive one for their Motor Home, it's the 880 I belive. Has rechargeable batteries and can also do your lights/fan if you have those on remote.

Personally I couldn't justify the extra 200+ dollars for the color display and I don't have fans or lights on remotes so no point. Yeah u can recharge the batteries, but the 2AA I have in mine last for ever.

The other cool point about these remotes is when something is not working u just hit the help button and it goes through trouble shooting on the LCD screen to figure it out. Another cool option is when your watching your movies late at night with your sweetie the remote lights up when it senses movement so you can find it in the dark room.

My step brother has the top of the line 500 buck one and it's nice, has the touch screen for everything, but IMO not worth the 500 bills unless you have a zillion gadgets.

Other thing you need to look at is make sure that the remote will handle all of your devices, ie if you have 20 devices the 550 won't handle that many. Also, if you have a blu ray player on my remote I had to set it up as a Second DVD since blu ray wasn't an option and had to guess the code with the Sony. It works though so it's cool. Also when you hook it up via your comp there are updates and you can apply them to the remote. (thanks for reminding me I need to do that )

Make sure you can get your brand and model number off your equipment as it will need those to set it up. It's so easy though after that. (5 min)
      Originally posted by G-MONEY
      It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Rechargeable batteries is something I didn't think about. Also you can update your remote via your computer? Cool. Great info keep it coming.

Comment

Harmony is the way to go! You just hook it up to your computer to program it. My buddy who is technology challenged got one for Christmas and had his programmed for his TV/Stereo/DVD and Dish Network box in about 20 minutes!

Comment

I have a Sony RM-AV3000, a few years old. I love it. As stated above, get a good universal remote setup and you will throw out everything else. I like the larger touch screen on it, and that it is big enough to not really get lost. The new version is the RM-AX4000A, I have seen around $120-130. Downside is it is big and a little difficult to operate one handed if you are trying to hold it. Ours sits on the ottoman most the time so no problem.
            I have a friend with a harmony 8-something, color screen and fully featured, small enough to hold. I like the 1000, but it is over $400 so that is a bit much for me. Both remotes allow plugging in to setup with your computer, I wish mine had that.

Comment

The Logitech Harmony series seem to be where it is at so far. Also I am assuming these control HDMI inputs as well? One thing I hate doing is manually switching the HDMI input to my DVD player.

I guess I am out of the norm, setup for me is something I never consider. Im kind of geeky and like to know every working function and option on electronics, software etc so I assume I will spend hours on it anyway. LOL.

Comment

I don't have one, but you guys have me thinking now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Logitech%20Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Garcia View Post
                  The Logitech Harmony series seem to be where it is at so far. Also I am assuming these control HDMI inputs as well? One thing I hate doing is manually switching the HDMI input to my DVD player.

I guess I am out of the norm, setup for me is something I never consider. Im kind of geeky and like to know every working function and option on electronics, software etc so I assume I will spend hours on it anyway. LOL.
                  They control everything. When I bought mine, it was like $300. They didn't have the lower end 550 then. I still don't regret the money spent.

The cool thing is that when you configure it on the computer, they have the controls for every device ever sold so you never have to guess. And then you can program it to your tastes.
                  Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Usually we sell Universal Remote Control for our touchscreens but they are a lot more than you want to spend. Best Buy had a sale on the Logitech 1000 for $399 over Christmas, simple to program and very nice for the money. The URC's that we use are fully expandable to do whatever we want as far as controlling lights, shades, AC, cameras and so on, more of a custom deal, the Logitech is probably what you are looking for
                    "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

I have the Logitech Harmony 880 as well. It has been great.

$120 Free Shipping at Circuit City. Within your budget.
                      http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...1&om_keycode=4

I would also look at the Harmony One. It looks like you can get it for just under $200. Out of our budget price, but it looks interesting. I haven't seen one in person yet. I like where the volume and channel buttons are and the touchscreen.
                      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I went to a few best buys last night but the only they had was the Harmony One which was out of my price range. Christmas had cleaned them out.

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                        I have the Logitech Harmony 880 as well. It has been great.

$120 Free Shipping at Circuit City. Within your budget.
                        http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...1&om_keycode=4

I would also look at the Harmony One. It looks like you can get it for just under $200. Out of our budget price, but it looks interesting. I haven't seen one in person yet. I like where the volume and channel buttons are and the touchscreen.
                        I saw this online yesterday too. I ended up buying it today.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Matt,
                          I have that same remote. I had trouble with a couple of items. First, the usb port did not work on the device and had to return for a new one. Second, I have powered blinds in my house. They are not setup on the Logitech IR system. With this remote, the range is about 12" and it is about 50% accuracy. I have another remote that works with the blinds from 20+ feet. Third, the charging cradle is very particular about the exact way to sit in the cradle. If it is not perfect, then it does not charge.

Overall the remote is really cool. I like the online setup so that you never loose your program. I had another remote that did not have a way to backup. When the remote died, so did the 4 hours it took to program it.

Check out this the link if you need help... http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/
                          If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

skyski,

does the Harmony 880 have a back up option? I would hate to loose all those settings.

Comment

Mine is actually the 890 but I believe all the remotes are configured online and then the program is uploaded locally to your device. So yes, the backup is online.
                              If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

Working...
                              X