A run into town,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A run into town,,

Well, time to come to grips with the fact I'm one of those wrenching dads ya see with off roader groups.
    The oldest guy does all the work,, or, as I'm now officially known, the "Wrenching Dad."

Really thought I had my ducks in a row with our trip to Dumont Sand Dunes in Death Valley Calif over Thanksgiving.
    I discovered the hard way the propane gauge on our RV is not working.
    Damn, thought we had plenty, we ran out.

So we headed into Parump Nevada to visit the crazy ladys gas/propane station next to "Who's Dunes Bar" and Steakhouse.

In route up Kelbaker rd headed toward Shoshone in route to Parump,, a brown Mitsubishi gets right on my rear. I look into the rear-view and it's a mid 20's horned rimmed glasses chick, red hot red lipstick, with a big MTV Lisa Loab kinda mug with a goofy grin.

She suddenly crosses over the double yellow don'ts to pass right into the path of an oncoming tanker truck.

It was a three abreast a two narrow lane with her, the truck and me all passing each other at the same time. Us and the truck on the opposite shoulders, the Mitsubishi chick straddling the double yellow don'ts clearing each of us by maybe a foot.

Damn,, my heart started beating and my chest was pounding my whole body covered in chicken skin.

I'll get back to the suicide Mitsubishi MTV chick.

We make it into Parump Nevada:

The gas/propane station Crazy Lady is a bubble off plumb no question.
    She has the freshest milk & groceries and the cheapest gas and propane, and she's open 24 hours, so we deal with her idiotcy and pain-in-the-neck-ways.

She's located just over the Nevada State line on the left heading into Parump.
    Right next door to the crazy ladys place we stepped into Who's Dunes Lounge to play a little video poker, down a few excellent bloody Marys and chat with the really cool owner Deano.

Deano is former Old Corp Air Force, still has the high and tight haircut. Friendly as one can get, immediately takes you at face value.

His Video poker machines are very loose and lively, you can play a long time on $20. Perhaps even win a few bucks.
    In the evenings Deano has Sue working for him, a knock-out, funny, attractive bartender holding court.

Deano just made his last child support payment and wanted to talk about it, so I bent an ear and we chatted.

Then Deano and I got to talking about running a video poker bar and he threw out some figures.
    His poker machines are taxed $125 each quarterly, his full whisky liquor license was only a one time $500 cost.

Nye County Nevada has super cheap and very available licenses. Yep only $500.
    Next door in Clark County (Las Vegas) a liquor license can be well, well over $100.000 Deano mentioned.
    I had no idea how the taxes and fees worked or cost.

It's always interesting learning how people scratch out a living in the middle of the desert or wilderness. Deano seems to be pulling it off.

I had dealt with the screwy crazy propane lady while the wife left to fill her grocery list.
    She finally met up with me at Who's Dunes.
    We played video poker a spell, then headed back to Dumont Dunes the wife the DD.

Driving back I told my wife the story of the best man at our wedding Hells Angel Steve working the High Voltage Transmission line trouble crew one nite nearby in the desert.

HA Steve believes in conspiracy theorys, UFOS,, aliens ect.
    So naturally he was an avid fan of late nite radios Art Bell who broadcasts from Parump. It was that one nite Bell signed off early with a statement he "had trouble he couldn't talk about."

That was all it took, Hells Angel Steve and his 1% crew of thugs headed straight to Art Bells desert compound in a 6X6 F650 Water & Power Line mans crew truck. I guess to kick the butts of the Martians they thought held Bell hostage.
    The Nye County Sheriff was notified by Bells listeners about the troubling statements Bell made over the air and was there already.
    Half the town of Parump turned out too it seemed.

All was OK I'm told.

So back to our return trip to the dunes:
    We made our way out of Parump to Kelbaker rd, and made the left turn south for the final stretch back to our RV camped at Dumont Sand Dunes.

My wife looks back in the rear view mirror,, and there is the Mitsubishi chick with that MTV grin on her face and she is approaching us from behind at full speed again.

Coming the other direction towards us is a caravan of toy haulers making it up the Ibex pass grade heading for the funeral mountains.

The Mitsubishi driving chick suddenly jumps out from behind us, crosses over the double don'ts to pass us once again and their is no question in my milisecond pea sized brain we're going to witness a head-on,, and maybe be part of it.

The toy hauler caravans leader pulls onto the shoulder plowing into the Caltrans berm and instantly those following him do too. GEEZZZe it was close.
    The toyhaulers miss the Mitsubishi driving chick by paintjobs. She's right outside our window as we all pass each other.

Never ever witnessed anything so close on the highway.

So we speed up I want to get her license. My CHP friends tell me that it's good to report this kinda event. No way the Toyota will catch up to her,, she's gone.

Bizarre experience.

Dodged 2 bullets though.

wow that's freaking crazy!

Glad your ok, I wonder where this crazy driver was going or was coming from!!!!!

Just crazy!
    Originally posted by G-MONEY
    It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

I can't believe I read all of that and no cool ending. I feel abused. However the story is much better if you read it in a Sam Elliott voice.
      How can I be racist when all of my assault rifles are black?

Comment

wow...
        It's not an optical illusion.
        It just looks like one.....

Comment

I thought that the ending was going to be that the mitsubishi driving chick was the owners daughter, or bartender or something like that.

Strange things happen in Pahrump, Nevada.

Comment

Wake Bandits - That was you? I read that story on DDR I think....

Comment

Working...
            X