R/C cars anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/C cars anyone?

Anybody run R/C cars. I've got a couple of buddies who just got back into these things with a couple of AE MGT 8.0. Here. 50mph out of the box. They scream. I just dug out my old Traxxas Rustler and charged up the battery and everything seems to be in good working order except the battery. Started dying right away and was super hot. It was so hot in fact, it split the casing on it. I'm assuming that is what the problem is. Anybody?
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

I have the an Associated truck. The one that was in the same class as the Traxxas Rustler.
    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

those trucks are bad @$$ My step bro's have them and I love to drive them. I tried to bring one back this trip but no room. They never use them so I figured I'd run them. Gas/nitro is the way to go, forget batteries
      Originally posted by G-MONEY
      It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Check out this vid. Wow!

Wish I had the bones to pony up for a new nitro truck. One of my buddies is building a new nitro truggy. Spent 5 bills on the motor alone. Geez.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
          Anybody run R/C cars. I've got a couple of buddies who just got back into these things with a couple of AE MGT 8.0. Here. 50mph out of the box. They scream. I just dug out my old Traxxas Rustler and charged up the battery and everything seems to be in good working order except the battery. Started dying right away and was super hot. It was so hot in fact, it split the casing on it. I'm assuming that is what the problem is. Anybody?
          Either your battery had a short or your motor gearing or transmission is too tight. This would cause too much resitance and overheat the battery.

My family is a Team Losi Family even though all the vehicles have been on the shelf for a while

Losi XXT CR stadium truck electric
          Losi XXCR kinwald edition electric buggy
          Losi XX4 4 wheel drive electric buggy
          Losi GTX Gas Truck
          Losi XXX GT Gas Truck

My kids and I used to race until they closed all the local tracks. Took them all to Havasu since they have a track but have never used them in the last 2-3 years
          Let it be!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
            those trucks are bad @$$ My step bro's have them and I love to drive them. I tried to bring one back this trip but no room. They never use them so I figured I'd run them. Gas/nitro is the way to go, forget batteries
            Love the gas trucks
            Let it be!!!

Comment

Gas is the way to go if you want to pony up the $ for a toy....but hey like we don't spend ridicules amount of money on toys already.

My friend in college had a T-Maxx 4x4 with the 2.5 top speed was 45-50 out of the box. We would run it on our baseball field and jump it off the mound, at full speed we could almost reach home plate
              Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

My stuff really was for racing. The new larger scale stuff is fun just to play around with. Much more durable also.
                Let it be!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xpjim1 View Post
                  Either your battery had a short or your motor gearing or transmission is too tight. This would cause too much resitance and overheat the battery.

My family is a Team Losi Family even though all the vehicles have been on the shelf for a while

Losi XXT CR stadium truck electric
                  Losi XXCR kinwald edition electric buggy
                  Losi XX4 4 wheel drive electric buggy
                  Losi GTX Gas Truck
                  Losi XXX GT Gas Truck

My kids and I used to race until they closed all the local tracks. Took them all to Havasu since they have a track but have never used them in the last 2-3 years
                  Thanks Jim, I'll check it out.

Comment

Check your bearings in your rear hubs and tranny.. sounds like you could have a bad one ( or few) As Jim said, also check your Pinion/spur mesh and make sure your motor is in good shape. ( check brushes, springs and bearings)

Nitro is on the decline a bit to be honest.... I understand it is loud and that ='s fun but the market is once again shifting to electric stuff with all the new brushless motors and Lipo batteries. on of the major factors was the increase in the cost of Nitro around mid summer, some hobby shops were selling a gallon for $45.00 USD with a .21 or .28 engine that goes way to quick...

If you want to spank....... and I mean spank your friends... Go get a brushless combo and a lipo pack ( all the new traxxas stuff comes with brushless by the way) 70+ MPH and run times of like 15- 20 minutes are possible.
                    Tige owner since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Ks View Post
                      Check your bearings in your rear hubs and tranny.. sounds like you could have a bad one ( or few) As Jim said, also check your Pinion/spur mesh and make sure your motor is in good shape. ( check brushes, springs and bearings)

Nitro is on the decline a bit to be honest.... I understand it is loud and that ='s fun but the market is once again shifting to electric stuff with all the new brushless motors and Lipo batteries. on of the major factors was the increase in the cost of Nitro around mid summer, some hobby shops were selling a gallon for $45.00 USD with a .21 or .28 engine that goes way to quick...

If you want to spank....... and I mean spank your friends... Go get a brushless combo and a lipo pack ( all the new traxxas stuff comes with brushless by the way) 70+ MPH and run times of like 15- 20 minutes are possible.

When I left the hobby brushless was just coming in. Lots of issues at 1st. I raced so I just wanted to get 5 minutes out of a battery pack. Then heats became 5 minutes and had to get 6 minutes. Back then 1700 mah packs were the racing norm. 2000 packs just came out.

Sounds like a lot has changed. I am sure things have gottone more expensive also
                      Let it be!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ks View Post

Roger. Check bearings.

Checking into converting to brushless. $170 for motor and SP. Need new battery as well. And charger. And a SP mount. And maybe some of those new shocktowers. And some of those... Here we go.

Comment

Originally posted by xpjim1 View Post
                          Back then 1700 mah packs were the racing norm. 2000 packs just came out.
                          Just saw an 8000mah.

Comment

I love nittro and would never go to gas. I just think it's more fun and more power. G nailed the nail on the head anyway since we all like expensive toys
                            Originally posted by G-MONEY
                            It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

My son has a Nitro Car and an Electric Road car. I don't know too much about them except they are both very fast and I only have pictures of the Nitro car.
                              Attached Files
                              Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Working...
                              X