"Thanks Leo"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Thanks Leo"

The kids were opening Christmas Presents and some Beach Boy Christmas music came up on my CD.

My daughter had just unwraped a higher horsepower guitar I got her for Christmas. It reminded me of something.

I couldn't help but tell her this story later at breakfast:

When I was a kid, we used to watch the grammys on TV.
    Until recently, the grammys Awards show mostly shunned rock music.

Sure, the big selling artists got grammys, but on the televised show ya barely got to see them compaired to Jazz and pop singers in the early days.

I always figured it was because of influential people producing these shows in the TV industry that hated rock music. Johnny Carson kinda people that held a lot of power over programming decisions.

Damfino.

Early on, the Beach Boys were allowed to get in front of the camera to accept their first grammy. Unlike today, they weren't allowed to perform live on the show. It was; get your awards,, say a few words and beat it.

Simon and Garfunkle, early, pre Betty Ford Aerosmith,, several other rock acts too.

When they all got their awards,, and could only give their short speach,, they always thanked " Leo".

Who the hell was Leo?

That next week my school was giving out awards. Attendance, school service, grades, community service ect.

When my friends and I went on the podium to get our certificate of award,, we thanked Leo. Mr Green, the boys VP got in our face and said the next clown that thanks Leo gets paper pick up for a week. A FULL WEEK!

Decades later, Brian Wilson got another Grammy,, so did Paul Simon,, and Aerosmith yet again on their post heroin comeback album made another awards appearance too. (first big album CD only, a milestone)
    Again,, they all thanked "Leo".

Who the hell was Leo?

OK some time later, and a few years back, my daughter and I were riding on the elevator at the Las Vegas Hard Rock Hotel.

The elevator stops at a floor and who should walk on but Beach Boy Brian Wilson. He was appearing at the Hotel that weekend.

I never talk to celibs,, but I just came out with it and asked him who Leo is that is often thanked at the Grammys?

Within miliseconds he snapped back: "Leo Fender, the guy who developed the Fender Guitar". "He was a neighbor of Les Paul by the way,, the inventor of the electric guitar".

Useless mundane info.

Have a Happy safe Holidays everyone.
    See you at Dumont Dunes this entire week.
    www.battlesangel.com

TPC (Ross?) -

When you are ready to thank Leo in person, there is a great museum here in Corona built just for him and his babies.

During the summer they have series of concerts in their building by many famous acts across the years. They have a great kids program wherein they teach local kids how to play. The kids then give concerts. I have not been to one of their concerts, but I have heard these kids ages 8 - 14 are as good as anyone you will ever hear play. They have a website and concert info at:

http://www.fendercenter.com/

Come see Tige' Watersports and see the museum and a concert all in one day.

Comment

Working...
    X