I Tunes Genius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Tunes Genius

Just seeing who has been using the new I Tunes Genius feature with the I Tunes 8. Very cool that you can pick a song and it will create a playlist based upon that song and pick other songs that go well with it. You send your info to I Tunes and it gets smarter over time and picks songs from your library.

I picked Montrose Space Station #5 to base the play list. Here is the results

Space Station #5 (Remastered LP Version) 5:17 Montrose The Very Best Of Montrose Pop 1 10/22/2008 8:22 PM
    Man on the Silver Mountain 4:42 Rainbow Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow Rock 1 10/22/2008 8:27 PM
    Love Drive 4:52 Scorpions Best Of Rockers 'N' Ballads Rock
    Lay It On The Line 4:06 Triumph classics Rock 1 10/22/2008 8:52 PM
    Atomic Punk (Album Version) 3:02 Van Halen Van Halen Pop 2 10/8/2008 12:05 PM
    Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy 3:31 Sammy Hagar Three Lock Box Rock 1 10/22/2008 8:57 PM
    Ain't That A Shame 5:19 Cheap Trick Live at Budokan Classic Rock 1 10/22/2008 9:02 PM
    Yankee Rose 3:51 David Lee Roth Eat 'Em and Smile Rock 2 10/22/2008 9:06 PM
    Celebration Day 3:30 Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin III Rock 1 10/22/2008 9:10 PM
    Exciter 5:35 Judas Priest Stained Class Metal 1 10/22/2008 9:15 PM
    Unchained 3:29 Van Halen The Best Of Van Halen, Vol. I Rock 1 10/22/2008 9:19 PM
    Gimme Back My Bullets 3:44 Lynard Skynard & Kid Rock Unknown Rock 1 10/22/2008 9:22 PM
    Never Enough 4:14 LA Guns Heavy Metal Hits Of The 80's Metal 2 10/22/2008 9:27 PM
    Somebody Save Me 3:17 Cinderella Night Songs Metal 1 10/22/2008 9:30 PM
    Eagles Fly 5:01 Sammy Hagar I Never Said Goodbye Rock 1 10/22/2008 9:35 PM
    No One To Depend On 5:33 Santana The Best Of Santana Rock
    Draw the Line 3:23 Aerosmith Aerosmith's Greatest Hits Rock 2 10/22/2008 9:39 PM
    Bad Motor Scooter (Remastered LP Verison) 3:43 Montrose The Very Best Of Montrose Pop 1 10/22/2008 9:43 PM
    Blackout 3:50 Scorpions Best Of Rockers 'N' Ballads Rock 1 10/22/2008 9:47 PM
    Working Man 7:11 Rush Chronicles Rock 1 10/22/2008 9:54 PM
    Top Jimmy 3:02 Van Halen 1984 Rock 1 10/22/2008 9:57 PM
    Lights Out 4:34 UFO Lights Out Rock 1 10/22/2008 10:01 PM
    Let Me Take You There 4:24 Sammy Hagar and the Wabos Livin' It Up! Rock 1 10/22/2008 10:06 PM
    The Ripper 2:50 Judas Priest Sad Wings Of Destiny Metal 1 10/22/2008 10:09 PM
    Miss America 4:59 Styx Styx - Greatest Hits Rock 1 10/22/2008 10:14 PM

I really like the playlist. What have others come up with?
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    Winston Churchill

Its awesome. It saves time when making new playlists. Instead of searching endlessly finding songs i want it brings them up on its own. Also it shows me other songs which I might like that are related to the selected song. That feature is what I use the most. What I also like is that I can do it all on my Itouch!!!!!
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

I use it all the time, best new feature in iTunes in a long time. I used iTunes when it was still called SoundJam many moons ago. Like I have said before, iTunes is my crack.

One more cool feature of Genius is it will get smarter over time. Every so often iTunes 8 submits data from your itunes to apple and it uses that to build genius algorithms. As apple gathers more info on how people group and play music, it will just keep getting better.
      http://wake9.com/

Comment

Hmmmm, never have liked this feature. It's never been anywhere close to a playlist I'd like for me. Maybe it's b/c the way I shape my playlists.
        Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner View Post
          Hmmmm, never have liked this feature. It's never been anywhere close to a playlist I'd like for me. Maybe it's b/c the way I shape my playlists.
          X2. Perhaps it is the varied taste in music that I have...

Comment

Diggin' up an old one here but, Genius rules!

Here's a couple it put together on mine.
            Balance 4:00 Crown City Rockers earthtones Hip Hop/Rap
            D.A.R.E. 4:18 People Under the Stairs The Next Step Hip Hop/Rap
            Mind Power 3:56 A Tribe Called Quest Beats Rhymes & Life Hip Hop/Rap
            Crosshairs 2:27 Dangerdoom The Mouse & The Mask Hip Hop/Rap
            Rock Co.Kane Flow 3:05 De La Soul Feat. MF Doom The Grind Date Hip Hop/Rap
            Influence 3:56 Jurassic 5 Quality Control Hip Hop/Rap
            Brooklyn 5:10 Mos Def Black On Both Sides Hip Hop/Rap
            Code Check 3:36 People Under the Stairs People Under the Stairs: Question in the Form of an Answer Hip Hop/Rap
            Rebirth Of Slick (Cool Like Dat) 4:21 Digable Planets Reachin' (A New Refutation Of Time And Space) Hip Hop/Rap
            The Seed (2.0) 4:28 The Roots & Cody Chestnutt Phrenology Hip Hop/Rap
            Kick Push 4:16 Lupe Fiasco Kick Push - Single Hip Hop/Rap
            It's Tricky 3:04 Run-D.M.C. Run-D.M.C. - Greatest Hits Hip Hop/Rap
            Find A Way 3:23 A Tribe Called Quest The Love Movement Hip Hop/Rap
            Montego Slay 4:12 People Under the Stairs "O.S.T." Hip Hop/Rap
            The Way I Am 4:50 Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP Hip Hop/Rap
            Iced Lightning 4:07 RJD2 Since We Last Spoke Hip Hop/Rap
            Stay Cool 3:35 The Roots The Tipping Point Hip Hop/Rap
            Fire 4:11 Aceyalone Magnificent City Hip Hop/Rap
            Hey 4:26 Jurassic 5 Power In Numbers Hip Hop/Rap
            Sofa King 2:57 Dangerdoom The Mouse & The Mask Hip Hop/Rap
            a little samba 3:21 Ugly Duckling journey to anywhere Hip Hop/Rap
            Eat Street 3:24 People Under the Stairs Stepfather Hip Hop/Rap
            The Hop 3:27 A Tribe Called Quest Beats Rhymes & Life Hip Hop/Rap
            Brown Skin Lady 5:49 Black Star Jared Mix Hip Hop/Rap
            Shallow Days 4:21 Blackalicious Nia Hip Hop/Rap
            Contribution 3:46 Jurassic 5 Quality Control Hip Hop/Rap
            Speed Law 4:16 Mos Def Black On Both Sides Hip Hop/Rap
            Fortitude 3:17 Crown City Rockers earthtones Hip Hop/Rap
            1976 2:27 RJD2 Since We Last Spoke Hip Hop/Rap
            Eye Know 4:14 De La Soul 3 Feet High And Rising Hip Hop/Rap
            Spottieottiedopaliscious 5:58 Outkast Big Boi & Dre Present... Outkast Hip Hop/Rap
            Youth Explosion 4:39 People Under the Stairs People Under the Stairs: Question in the Form of an Answer Hip Hop/Rap
            Juicy 5:03 The Notorious B.I.G. Ready To Die Hip Hop/Rap
            Bada Bing 4:26 Dangerdoom The Mouse & The Mask Hip Hop/Rap
            Mellow My Man 4:42 The Roots do you want more?!!!??! Hip Hop/Rap
            Lyrics To Go (Tumblin' Dice Remix) 3:50 A Tribe Called Quest Hits, Rarities & Remixes Hip Hop/Rap
            Sure Shot 3:20 Beastie Boys Anthology: The Sounds of Science Hip Hop/Rap
            Go! 3:44 Common Be Hip Hop/Rap
            I Am Somebody 4:05 Jurassic 5 Power In Numbers Hip Hop/Rap
            Sidestep 6:31 Crown City Rockers earthtones Hip Hop/Rap
            Hang Loose 4:02 People Under the Stairs "O.S.T." Hip Hop/Rap
            Get A Hold 3:35 A Tribe Called Quest Beats Rhymes & Life Hip Hop/Rap
            She Wants To Move 3:34 N*E*R*D Fly Or Die Hip Hop/Rap
            Step Bacc 3:31 People Under The Stairs Fun DMC Hip Hop/Rap
            Do It Now 3:50 Mos Def Black On Both Sides Hip Hop/Rap
            Since We Last Spoke 4:14 RJD2 Since We Last Spoke Hip Hop/Rap
            Deception 5:12 Blackalicious Nia Hip Hop/Rap
            Distortion To Static 4:18 The Roots do you want more?!!!??! Hip Hop/Rap
            Monkey Bars 4:06 Jurassic 5 Quality Control Hip Hop/Rap
            Mathematics 4:06 Mos Def Black On Both Sides Hip Hop/Rap
            Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik 4:12 Outkast Big Boi & Dre Present... Outkast Hip Hop/Rap
            Plunken 'Em 4:20 People Under the Stairs ...Or Stay Tuned Hip Hop/Rap
            Root Down 3:33 Beastie Boys Anthology: The Sounds of Science Hip Hop/Rap
            Like That 4:35 Black Eyed Peas Monkey Business Hip Hop/Rap
            Stan 6:44 Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP Hip Hop/Rap
            The Grind 3:20 People Under The Stairs Fun DMC Hip Hop/Rap
            A Day At The Races 4:03 Jurassic 5 Power In Numbers Hip Hop/Rap
            Time to Rock Our S**t 4:25 People Under the Stairs The Next Step Hip Hop/Rap
            ATliens 3:52 Outkast Atliens Hip Hop/Rap
            Another Day 3:30 Crown City Rockers earthtones Hip Hop/Rap
            Blowin' Wax 4:35 People Under the Stairs People Under the Stairs: Question in the Form of an Answer Hip Hop/Rap
            Like It Like That 2:47 A Tribe Called Quest The Love Movement Hip Hop/Rap
            Body Movin' 5:31 Beastie Boys Anthology: The Sounds of Science Hip Hop/Rap
            Los Angeles Daze 6:20 People Under the Stairs The Next Step Hip Hop/Rap
            1nce Again 3:49 A Tribe Called Quest Beats Rhymes & Life Hip Hop/Rap
            Proceed 4:35 The Roots do you want more?!!!??! Hip Hop/Rap
            Break 3:16 Jurassic 5 Power In Numbers Hip Hop/Rap
            Shut Up 4:58 Black Eyed Peas Elephunk Hip Hop/Rap
            Empty Bottles of Water 3:29 People Under the Stairs "O.S.T." Hip Hop/Rap
            Exotic Talk 3:44 RJD2 Since We Last Spoke Hip Hop/Rap
            Aquemini 4:42 Outkast Big Boi & Dre Present... Outkast Hip Hop/Rap
            Beautiful 4:58 Snoop Dogg Paid Tha Cost to Be Da Bo$$ Hip Hop/Rap
            Mince Meat 2:33 Dangerdoom The Mouse & The Mask Hip Hop/Rap
            Luck Of Lucien 4:35 A Tribe Called Quest People's Instinctive Travels And Paths Of Rhythm Hip Hop/Rap
            We'll Be There 5:26 People Under the Stairs People Under the Stairs: Question in the Form of an Answer Hip Hop/Rap
            W.O.E. Is Me (World of Entertainment) 3:58 Jurassic 5 Quality Control Hip Hop/Rap
            Ms. Fat Booty 3:44 Mos Def Black On Both Sides Hip Hop/Rap
            Machine Gun Funk 4:17 The Notorious B.I.G. Ready To Die Hip Hop/Rap
            So What'cha Want 3:37 Beastie Boys Anthology: The Sounds of Science Hip Hop/Rap
            Hey Mama 3:37 Black Eyed Peas Elephunk Hip Hop/Rap
            Me&you 4:26 Outkast Atliens Hip Hop/Rap
            Intro 0:34 Crown City Rockers earthtones Hip Hop/Rap
            Guns Are Drawn 5:16 The Roots The Tipping Point Hip Hop/Rap
            The Fun 4:19 People Under The Stairs Fun DMC Hip Hop/Rap
            Perfect Hair 2:03 Dangerdoom The Mouse & The Mask Hip Hop/Rap
            Umi Says 5:11 Mos Def Black On Both Sides Hip Hop/Rap
            Jazz (We've Got) 4:19 A Tribe Called Quest The Love Movement Hip Hop/Rap
            Intergalactic 3:30 Beastie Boys Anthology: The Sounds of Science Hip Hop/Rap
            B.O.B. 4:39 Outkast Big Boi & Dre Present... Outkast Hip Hop/Rap
            Great Expectations 3:38 Jurassic 5 Quality Control Hip Hop/Rap
            Let's Get Retarded 3:38 Black Eyed Peas Elephunk Hip Hop/Rap
            Abigail Silk 3:27 Ugly Duckling Combo Meal (Taste the Secret and the Leftovers) Hip Hop/Rap
            Dog It 4:21 Digable Planets Blowout Comb Hip Hop/Rap
            The Real Slim Shady 4:45 Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP Hip Hop/Rap
            Swept Away 3:50 The Roots do you want more?!!!??! Hip Hop/Rap
            High Fidelity 3:07 Jurassic 5 Power In Numbers Hip Hop/Rap
            Basket Case 2:35 Dangerdoom The Mouse & The Mask Hip Hop/Rap
            Ch-Check It Out 3:14 Beastie Boys To The 5 Boroughs Hip Hop/Rap
            The Way You Move 3:54 Outkast Speakerboxxx Hip Hop/Rap
            You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Black Cow 5:10 Steely Dan Citizen Steely Dan 1972-1980 (Disc 3) Rock
              Lowdown 5:18 Boz Scaggs My Time - A Boz Scaggs Anthology... Rock
              Dark Star 4:46 Crosby, Stills & Nash CSN Rock
              What'cha Gonna Do? 4:17 Pablo Cruise 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Pablo Cruise Rock
              It Keeps You Runnin' 4:22 The Doobie Brothers Forrest Gump (Disc 2) Rock
              I Just Wanna Stop 3:39 Gino Vannelli Ultimate Collection: Gino Vannelli Rock
              Diamond Girl 3:57 Seals & Crofts Rock On 1973 Rock
              Strange Magic 4:33 Electric Light Orchestra Strange Magic - The Best of Electric Light Orchestra Rock
              When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What's Still Around 3:37 The Police Message In A Box: The Complete Recordings (Disc 2) Rock
              I Got The News 5:07 Steely Dan Citizen Steely Dan: 1972-1980 (Disc 4) Rock
              Rockin' Down The Highway 3:24 The Doobie Brothers Toulouse Street Rock
              So Into You 4:23 Atlanta Rhythm Section The Best of Atlanta Rhythm Section Rock
              Reminiscing 4:09 Little River Band The Definitive Collection Rock
              My City Was Gone 5:25 The Pretenders Learning to Crawl Rock
              Steppin' Out 4:19 Joe Jackson Dirty Vegas The Trip Electronica/Dance
              In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed [Live] 13:07 The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East Rock
              Down To The Waterline 4:00 Dire Straits Dire Straits Rock
              Bargain 5:34 The Who Who's Next Rock
              Aja 8:00 Steely Dan Citizen Steely Dan 1972-1980 (Disc 3) Rock
              Life During Wartime 3:42 Talking Heads Best Of Talking Heads Alternative & Punk
              South City 5:29 The Doobie Brothers The Captain And Me Rock
              Spirits In The Material World 2:59 The Police Message In A Box: The Complete Recordings (Disc 3) Rock
              Hitch A Ride 4:12 Boston Boston Rock
              Angry Eyes 7:43 Loggins & Messina Loggins and Messina Rock
              Straight On 5:10 Heart Heart - Greatest Hits Rock
              Middle Of The Road 4:13 The Pretenders The Singles Rock
              Pretzel Logic 4:33 Steely Dan Citizen Steely Dan 1972-1980 (Disc 2) Rock
              Stormy 2:50 The Classics IV The Very Best of Classics IV Rock
              After Midnight 3:09 Eric Clapton Time Pieces - The Best Of Eric Clapton Rock
              Hold Your Head Up 6:18 Argent The Argent Anthology - A Collection of Greatest Hits Rock
              Evil Woman 4:12 Electric Light Orchestra All Over the World: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra Rock
              One Of These Nights 4:52 The Eagles Their Greatest Hits Rock
              Beautiful Girls 3:57 Van Halen Van Halen II Rock
              Home At Last 5:36 Steely Dan Citizen Steely Dan: 1972-1980 (Disc 4) Rock
              Brand New Day 6:20 Sting Brand New Day Rock
              Whipping Post [Live] 22:53 The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East Rock
              Going Mobile 3:43 The Who Who's Next Rock
              Water Of Love 5:26 Dire Straits Dire Straits Rock
              Jesus Is Just Alright 4:36 The Doobie Brothers Toulouse Street Rock
              Message Of Love 3:26 The Pretenders The Singles Rock
              Manic Depression 3:42 Jimi Hendrix Jimi Hendrix Experience Smash Hits Rock
              Take Me To The River 5:04 Talking Heads Best Of Talking Heads Alternative & Punk
              Kid Charlemagne 4:39 Steely Dan Citizen Steely Dan 1972-1980 (Disc 3) Rock
              Invisible Sun 3:44 The Police Message In A Box: The Complete Recordings (Disc 3) Rock
              Golden Years 3:30 David Bowie Best of Bowie Rock
              Misty Mountain Hop 4:39 Led Zeppelin IV Rock
              Tumbling Dice 3:40 The Rolling Stones Rewind (1971-1984) Rock
              Have A Cigar 5:09 Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here Rock
              Green-Eyed Lady 6:50 Sugarloaf The Best Of Sugarloaf Rock
              Deacon Blues 7:37 Steely Dan Citizen Steely Dan: 1972-1980 (Disc 4) Rock

Comment

I love this feature. I usually use it to put the strawman playlist together and they tweak it to the way I like it (removing some songs, adding others and rearranging).
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I'm really surprised how well it works. Out of a hundred songs, I usually only have to pull just a few out.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                    I'm really surprised how well it works. Out of a hundred songs, I usually only have to pull just a few out.
                    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                      Very solid playlists. I hate that apple is so inside my brain....
                      "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun View Post
                        Very solid playlists. I hate that apple is so inside my brain....
                        I know what you mean. Kinda creepy. It keeps pulling songs out that I either forgot about or didn't even know I had.

Comment

Wonder what I'd get if I put in "Hot Rod" by Black Oak Arkansas?

Comment

Working...
                          X