Any VW owners out there? I'm thinking about buying a R32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any VW owners out there? I'm thinking about buying a R32

I'm a Honda guy, and think their the most reliable cars out there. My current car is a 2003 Acura MDX, with only 53K miles on it. It is in great shape, and looks like a year old car. I used to have a Honda S2000, but sold it when we bought the Tige.

Well, I ended up driving a 2008 VW R32 (which is bascially a golf/gti with the Audi 3.2 motor, better suspension, AWD, and totally loaded.) I had a blast driving it, and am thinking about buying one. I am concerned about the reliablity of the car. I am also having a hard time letting my MDX go for mid teens. There is nothing wrong with it, the R32 is just "more fun".

My Acura's tradein value is $17k+, but due to this economy, and all of the ones coming off of lease most dealers are only willing to give me $11-12K for it. I do have a buy bid from one of the Acura dealers for close to $15k. I thought about selling it by myself, but am afraid to do so in this economy. I've also worked out a great price on a new R32.

For some reason, I just can't pull the trigger. If I don't do it soon, my buy-bid will probably dissappear, and they only make the R32's every 4 years.

I have looked at other smaller cars (Mini, Volvo, Mazda, Subaru, etc...) and none of them handle like the R32.

So, what sort of experience have you had with your VW? Would you buy one again? What are they like, when they are 5 years old? Any other feedback??

Owned them since I was 16, currently driving a 91 cab w/over 200K
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have an '02 Passat V6 with 4Motion AWD that I purchased new. I have had numerous issues with generally small problems (3 out of 4 window controllers had to be replaced in a 2-month span at about $300 a pop, etc.) that have been annoying (and usually not very inexpensive). I have had one major problem (Fuel tank twice developed cracks - VW claimed it was bad luck - just last month they finally recalled it for this issue and when I took it in to be looked at, the tank was cracked again).

However, I have had no major engine or tranny problems. And I absolutely love the way it handles and drives. Love the interior and the fit and finish. Love the European tightness to the steering and the road feel. So, overall, despite some problems, I would buy VW again.

Comment

The R32 is a hot lil car. I just traded in a WRX.

Expect all the things that come with a hot car: Fun, Fast, shorter life, and plenty of opportunities for speeding tickets.

Comment

This may be a weird one, but rattles drive me nuts. Do they tend to get rattles over the years, or are they pretty solid?

Comment

Never owned one, but have many experiences with them. Great little cars. Always heard of electrical bugs, but how would I know. I'd love to find an older Scirocco. I know the R-32s are supposed to be the cat's meow.

I friend and I once drove over Donner Summit one night in 3-5 inches of fresh snow in his Jetta GLi. Not another car in sight for at least an hour. Never dropped below 55mph. Mostly 65.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Well, the dealer incentives ended tonight, and I didn't bite. I want them to come down an additional $400 and they wouldn't. I am betting that they get better incentives for Aug.

Comment

I have owned Audi A6's AWD great cars but they quirks. I had the same window controls go bad or just break, how do you break a window control??
                Any way I think it would be a very good car...
                15 Escalade ESV-Black
                08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

I have an '06 GLI and I've only had one problem with syncro in the trans breaking (it was a faulty part) and they replaced it no questions asked for free. Other than that it has been a great car...Love the 10,000 mile oil changes
                  Tige Throws Mad Wake.

Comment

I currently drive an 02 passat with the 1.8T engine, not many problems. The worst one was the axle boot ripping..ended up with 2 new front axles. Not as bad cost wise as you would think for around $500. It is a solid car to drive. BTW, I have 77,000 miles on it.

We just sold my wife's 2003 jetta GLI. It had the VR6 engine with a 6 speed manual....it was really fun to drive. We didn't have any problems with that car besides a few recalls. VW fixed it up and we were on our way. You just can't beat a german car for how solid they feel! It gave us a great 45,000 miles!

Comment

Well, I waited too long, the incentives changed in the wrong direction. As it sits, the car will cost me $1400 more then I'd like to spend. The problem is, I know it's not the most practicle move to make, so I can't get past it, and add some more cash to the deal.

Comment

I have a '92 Acura Integra 137,000 miles. No problems, suped up to run with stock stangs and still get 32 miles per gallon. It's a sleeper running on the black steelies. I love to watch the muscle car guys faces when I am keeping up with them in a car I have 2,500 bucks invested in total. lol Don't leave Honda.
                        How can I be racist when all of my assault rifles are black?

Comment

I wish Honda built a car like that. The closest will be the new TL with AWD, but it's not out yet, and will cost about $15k more then the VW.

Comment

Working...
                          X