No Reason To Get Hit By The Train in Parker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Reason To Get Hit By The Train in Parker

We use the Parker ARCO station for no better reason than the gas is often, not always, 25 cents a gallon cheaper than the rest of town.

Times 200 gallons per river trip, that equals one nites dinner & bar tab at Fox's.

Like me,, many reading this have spent lots of time and money at the Parker ARCO. Wisely I listened to Chris at Dan and bought the thrifty motor in my 22iR. Great fuel economy, I claim full bragging rites, but that's another thread.

Not often, but the train comes through the crossing in Parker less than 30 yards away from where I'm filling the tow rig and boat. I watch the traffic over the train crossing while the truck and boat fill with gas.

Amazing how many people ya see in Parker try to beat the train over the crossing. More amazing those who try it with a trailer in tow.

Saw one poor family two weeks ago in an old Ford pickup probably not trying to beat the Parker train, but by dumb luck and good grace they did.

They slammed on the brakes as the crossing gate came down, and hit the gate with their windshield, the gate bounced up and they slid clear over the track missing the train by a few seconds.

Their raggety old pickup with the duct taped coathanger antenna stalled,, wouldn't re-start, and had they stalled on the tracks,, it woulda sucked deluxe.

Coulda' been a tragedy. Can't say it's a reason, you make the call. I think the morning sun blinded the driver through his very shop worn, sandblasted windshield and he didn't see the crossing signal..

My kids are starting to drive now & I've showed my kids that most trains pass most places in about 11 seconds. Especially the Metro link. Also:

The Parker trains are rare,, and usually not that long to attempt to out fox them across the RR crossing.

A CHP officer at Starbucks this morning told me it doesn't matter how fast the train is traveling when it hits your vehicle. You and the family are all dead at any speed at impact.

I tell my kids while teaching them to drive:

"Nothing is so important to challenge a train,, and no reason at all to get hit by a train."
    www.battlesangel.com

Good lesson taught and learned. I'm not even driving yet (permit in 3 months! ) but my parents are already trying to teach me all of the important stuff. Luckily no one was hurt in your story but it's pretty extreme stuff.
    www.dallaswakeboarding.com

Comment

I witnessed something similar a few weeks ago at a local lake here in Dallas. There was a railroad track bridge about a hundred yards from were we were riding. Teenagers and kids were jumping off this bridge all day with no problems. Well a few hours later we heard a train signaling its approach and we noticed a small girl about 10-15 years old still in the middle of the bridge. The girl did not jump as the train approached; she waited as if she was scared to jump off the bridge because you could see her look at the train and then the water. The train is now closing in faster and it’s traveling roughly about 25 mph. It gets about 100 yards or so and the girl still standing there decides to OUT RUN the train! Everyone on the boat was yelling and screaming to JUMP OFF the bridge. The train gets till about 50 yards or so and the girl finally jumps, missing the train. The train operator immediately locked its brakes. We don’t know if he thought he hit the girl or was just trying to notify the authorities. Although seconds later a Ranger Patrol was on scene but we do not know if they caught the girl. Everyone on the boat was in shock and disbelief about what could of happened.

Comment

Matt,

I'm guessing that was the I-35 Bridge? If so, that is just stupid to jump off of there with the boat trafic that is there on the weekends. Luckily she ended up jumping off and not getting run over.
        www.dallaswakeboarding.com

Comment

David, actually it was at Mallard Park on Lavon Lake. We were out on Michaels boat (yllw20).

Comment

Check out this link:

http://www.quadscentral.com/videos/Trainhitsjeep.html

It 's in Glamis.
            Note that no one was hurt.
            It's a seat and clothing you see that appears to be people.
            All safe, no injuries to anyone.
            Turn on your sound.
            Last edited by Flying Tiger; 09-01-2004, 05:18 PM.
            www.battlesangel.com

Comment

Working...
            X