No announcement yet.

DVD to video Ipod - How to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello talltigeguy this is TeamAllen's son. I am using a mac so the procedure is a little different for me but I have stitched a few tutorials together to what I beleive should work. Keep in mind that I have not tested this procedure on a Windows machine as of yet. So if there are any problems post a reply and I will try to correct the problems.

O.K. Here Goes,

1. Download DVD Decrypter here -> http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfi...er_3.5.4.0.exe

2. A brief explanation about the program.

This program rips encrypted dvd video files onto your hard drive for further processing. It removes region code protection and macrovision. This will allow you to properly encode the file in handbrake.

3. After you get the program installed and running, navigate to the file menu, then go to the mode submenu and select the file mode under the mode menu (confusing I know, but it should make sense with the program running in front of you). Then pres CTRL-A on your keyboard to select all files associated with your dvd. Then press the F key and the program should remove any macrovision/CSS encryption and allow you to use handbrake to convert to iPod format.

4. Now open handbrake. Once handbrake is open click on the presets menu (arrow 1) and select iPod. Then Click Browse (Arrow 2) and select your saved Video_TS folder that you decryped. then cluck the second browse button (Arrow 3) and select where you want to save the finished movie file. Leave everything below arrow three alone. Then click on encode (bottom right) but DO NOT click on the add to queue button.

5. once handbrake is completed select the file that handbrake saved after it finished. this should be in the same place you specified in step four by clicking on Arrow 3 from above image. Open this file in iTunes it should appear under the movies tab on the left hand column the you can just drag and drop to your ipod.

Hope this tutorial helps and again if you have any problems post a reply and I will try to help you fix them.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
      Hello talltigeguy this is TeamAllen's son. I am using a mac so the procedure is a little different for me but I have stitched a few tutorials together to what I beleive should work. Keep in mind that I have not tested this procedure on a Windows machine as of yet. So if there are any problems post a reply and I will try to correct the problems.

O.K. Here Goes,

1. Download DVD Decrypter here -> http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfi...er_3.5.4.0.exe

2. A brief explanation about the program.

This program rips encrypted dvd video files onto your hard drive for further processing. It removes region code protection and macrovision. This will allow you to properly encode the file in handbrake.

3. After you get the program installed and running, navigate to the file menu, then go to the mode submenu and select the file mode under the mode menu (confusing I know, but it should make sense with the program running in front of you). Then pres CTRL-A on your keyboard to select all files associated with your dvd. Then press the F key and the program should remove any macrovision/CSS encryption and allow you to use handbrake to convert to iPod format.

4. Now open handbrake. Once handbrake is open click on the presets menu (arrow 1) and select iPod. Then Click Browse (Arrow 2) and select your saved Video_TS folder that you decryped. then cluck the second browse button (Arrow 3) and select where you want to save the finished movie file. Leave everything below arrow three alone. Then click on encode (bottom right) but DO NOT click on the add to queue button.

5. once handbrake is completed select the file that handbrake saved after it finished. this should be in the same place you specified in step four by clicking on Arrow 3 from above image. Open this file in iTunes it should appear under the movies tab on the left hand column the you can just drag and drop to your ipod.

Hope this tutorial helps and again if you have any problems post a reply and I will try to help you fix them.
      Most of the time, handbrake can read direct from dvd if you wish, so you don't need the decrypter. But that works also.
      http://wake9.com/

Comment

But if you don't use a decrypter on commercially authored DVD's handbrake won't allow you to convert due to legal issues.

Comment

Thats not true. I use handbrake all the time, direct from DVD. Handbrake uses several open source apps like ffmpeg, and libdvd that incorporate DeCSS and will decrypt direct from DVD to movie. That is what makes handbrake the simplest solution, it truly is one step. The only thing, is programs like DVD Decrypter, and a few others, go through CONSTANT changes to keep up with new methods the DVD distibutors go through to protect. DeCSS is not enough, they use many other crazy techniques like the fake bad sector thing I mentioned before. Handbrake, using libdvd is not as maintained, so it doesn't work on some of the more recent DVDs, but works on most.

Comment

Thanks Team Allen jr. for your attempt. I downloaded the decrypter and had it decrypt the DVD. That seemed to work fine. Took about 8 minutes.

Once again the same thing happens when I use the handbrake, when I hit 'encode' it takes less than 1 second and I get the same message:
            'Status: the encoding process has ended'

There is nothing in the destination I specified.

Any further suggestions?
            Last edited by talltigeguy; 06-23-2007, 06:23 PM.
            Be excellent to one another.

Comment

BTW, at least the menus on this screen that Team Allen posted are the same as what I see. Even in the tutorial, things are a little different looking.

Could my antivirus be running interference for me? I do know that at times it has interfered with certain programs (for my own good, of course). I run Norton.

Comment

Here is another one button solution, mac only, not pc. But you have to buy it. They update like everyweek, and I use this software when I get a dvd that is new that doesn't work on handbrake or other decrypters. This company is in like china, so they get away with charging for this software, which should be illegal. I can vouch, that this software works well and clean. If it doesn't work, prob something wrong with your dvd.

http://www.dvdfab.com/index.htm

Comment

I fooled around a little more.

I tried a 3rd DVD, one that is even older. It was not the original, but a backup copy that I made. It worked fine! So I am not sure how to explain why Detention will not work. With the encoder, it should work fine, but doesn't.

Anyone who can get Detention converted to an Mp4 file will be my hero and I would be willing to pay for a copy to be sent on DVD to me.

Comment

Alright you tech wiz's. After all that great info I'm sure you can help me quite easily. My PC crashed awhile back, and I lost all of my itunes database. I am scared to reload it and run the risk of it deleting the 2000+ songs from my ipod. Is there any way to transfer data from my ipod back to itunes without buying a $20 program? I have much time invested into my music organization and it would take me years to get back to where I am today if I lose it all. Thanks for the help.

Comment

The latest itunes has a method for restoring your music to itunes from your ipod.

Comment

Jacques2727 if the files are still on you computer it should be very easy to restore.

All that you have to do is find the folder where your iTunes music files are located which should be My Documents>My Music>iTunes. Once you find that iTunes folder just open iTunes and drag the whole folder into the application.

If on the other hand your music files have been deleted then you will have to retreive them from your iPod. Get ready for another tutorial!

1. Download ephPod from http://www.badtvedits.com/ephpod/ephpod277.exe

2. Install ephPod by double clicking on said downloaded .exe, it should open a wizard that runs you throught the process of installing.

3. Open the application, Start > Programs > ephPod.

4. Make sure your iPod is plugged in and select the drive in the pull down list that your iPod appears as.

5. Once the application has seen your iPod, double click "songs"—this will bring up a list of all the songs on your iPod.

6. When you see the song(s) you wish to copy off your iPod, select and "right click" and choose "Copy Songs to Directory" on the song or press Ctril+Alt+C. For this example I am taking a Podcast off of my iPod and putting it on another computer.

7. ephPod will ask where to save the file, I choose the desktop. But you could put them where ever you want. Just make sure to remember where you put them.

8. ephPod will then create a new folder along with the file you selected.

9. Now once you have all of your music back onto your computer you can drag the folder that ephPod created into iTunes. iTunes will proceed to copy those files into their proper location. Once iTunes has finished it is okay to delete the folder that ephPod created on you desktop (or wherever you put it).

Hope this helps, like I said earlier I am using a mac so I am just going off what another tutorial says, adding notes and screenshots. If you have any problems please let me know.

Comment

TEAMALLEN, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ON LAKE POWELL RIGHT NOW, NOT SURFING TIGEOWNERS!

Don't forget to go to Cathedral canyon! As soon as I get the pics from my friends' cameras, I will be starting a thread to make folks jealous.

As far as trying to get Detention on my Ipod, it finally worked. A friend of mine decided to try it on his computer, he used the copy of detention that I pirated for him, and Handbrake did it just fine. Now that I have it, I am not going to make another copy and see if the copy works fine, but I suspect there is something weird about the original that made it not work for me.

So now I have Detention on my Ipod, a tutorial from a pro that I can take on the boat! It will be especially helpful having the different camera angle so that people can see how to get up. Some people watch, but they do not see.

Thanks for all the help you folks have offered!

Comment

Thanks for the great info. The program worked, but it still didn't load all of the files from my ipod. Is it possible there are some file types that the program does not recognize? I am really at a loss here. Thanks again, at least now I can recover most of my stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                              The latest itunes has a method for restoring your music to itunes from your ipod.
                              Are you talking about itunes 7.3? And how do you restore your music to itunes from your ipod w/ the new version?
                              If you ain't falling.. you ain't trying hard enough..

Comment

Working...
                              X