Glasses vs. Contacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glasses vs. Contacts

I've been wearing glasses like forever(4 yrs. of age) So like 10 years, and I kinda really don't think I need them becasue I can see fine and for reading I can read OK but it strains my eyes, So I have a appt. at the eye doctor and I'm wanting contacts and I think I can get them but I want some oppinions because I've never worn them before and daddio says ask around and get some other pleples oppinions like the pros and cons and I figured, What a better place to start, Any body wear contacts want to share their expierences please, I need yo
    The sun never sets on a badass

I didn't know I needed glasses until I was in like 6th grade. (near-sided) My eyesight wasn't bad at all but I got them b/c I had trouble seeing/reading things that were far away. I wore glasses for about 2 months and then switched to contacts. I have been wearing contacts since 7th grade and am now ending my 2nd year of college. (so about 8 years) I absolutely LOVE contacts.. I have the daily kind that you can throw away every day b/c my eyes are pretty sensitive and sometimes my eyes would start hurting at the end of the day before I got a chance to take them out, clean them, store them.

The only downside to contacts, for me, is that I have extremely dry eyes and contacts make it worse. So for the last 7 years my contacts have been awesome.. but the longer I wore them in a day, my eyes would start to get dry and sore. I talked to my eye doctor about it and we finally decided to cauterize my vacuum ducts in my eyes so that they wouldn't be as dry. Since I had this done, about 6 months ago, my eyes (and my contacts) have been absolutely perfect.

Long story short.. I am very athletic and have played many sports competitively and have never had a problem with my contacts and sports. I wear them to the lake all the time and they have never fallen out or anything. I love my contacts!
    If you ain't falling.. you ain't trying hard enough..

Comment

Thansk for the write up, Would you say if you landed a mean trick on a board like a faceplant...would it affect your comfort or would they fall out

How much are the daily disposables? I have a rare perscription so would that affect the price?

How much for the cauterizeing?(if ya don't mind)

Comment

I have landed many a faceplant in my day.. it's never been a problem. contacts "stick" to your eyes so it is very hard for them to fall out. and your eyes are usually closed when you faceplant.. hopefully at least!

The only thing at the lake that affects the comfort is at the beginning of a surf sesh.. occasionally if you get some spray in your face your contacts get a little blurry for a sec. you just have to wait a few seconds and they will clear up but other than that it's not a big deal at all.

The disposables are more expensive than regular contacts.. but insurance covers part of them.

And I'm not sure how much the cauterization was b/c insurance covered that too...
        If you ain't falling.. you ain't trying hard enough..

Comment

I have had a contact fall out while in the water...get the unexpected splash into the face and you can feel it coming out. Fortunately I was close to the swim platform and was able to get it back onto my eye. I have had it happen when playing hockey too...get a 'snow shower' in the face and the contact dislodges. Then I have to get my hands out of my blocker and catch glove, take off my mask and try to get it back on my eye. But, I'm basically blind without contacts, so I do what I need to do...

Mike
          Ambivalent? Yes. Or Not.

Comment

I'm really athletic, so I'm always at the glasses shop getting them fixed and I'm always in the water, I like to play really hard most times, I think the contacts would be best for me because It seems like i take alot of faceshots with my glasses on.

What happens if you loose a non-disposable contact?

About how much more are disposbles than non's?

How hard are they to find if/when they fall out?

Do you need to clean them after loosing one on the floor?

How do you "clean" them?

Thanks guys
            Last edited by wannabewakeboarder; 06-10-2007, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabewakeboarder View Post
              I'm really athletic, so I'm always at the glasses shop getting them fixed and I'm always in the water, I like to play really hard most times, I think the contacts would be best for me because It seems like i take alot of faceshots with my glasses on.

What happens if you loose a non-disposable contact?you get a new one

About how much more are disposbles than non's?

How hard are they to find if/when they fall out?depends on what surface they fall on

Do you need to clean them after loosing one on the floor?definately

How do you "clean" them?washing them in the contact solution

Thanks guys
              Common Sense is not so Common
              Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Ok,
                Where do you get a new one if you on vocation?, Friday night?
                How much for a replacement w/o inshurance?
                Can you find them in water?

Comment

Well you buy contacts in packs so... if your on vacation bring extras.
                  You just order new packs im not sure about prices
                  Highly doubt it.

Comment

How hard are they to find like on the street or side walk

Do they fall out in normal activity like running aarons, working, riding stuff?

Comment

If one of mine falls onto the street im not putting it back into my eye. But yeah if you knew where you lost it and had the time to look you could find it.

The only time I lose one is if i get junk in my eye and have to rub my eye then it might come out, or If i take a hard fall and dont get my eyes closed the water will wash them out, But they like suction onto your eye so they dont just pop out.

Comment

Do they irritate your eyes?

Comment

Maybe the first time in, if you have allergies and in the spring and fall they might ( I went through a couple boxes this spring), If its not in straight or is ripped, or is in upsidedown it might, or if its dirty.

Comment

How do you 'rip' one?

How do you put it in straight?

dont they come in colors?

Pros cons to colors?

Comment

Originally posted by wannabewakeboarder View Post
                              How do you 'rip' one?

How do you put it in straight?

dont they come in colors?

Pros cons to colors?
                              Its just a flimsy little lens not hard at all to tear or rip.

Usually after a couple blinks it centers itself but ive had a few times where I put it in quick and it just doesnt feel right.

Yeah they come in colors, as far as i know its the same thing it just makes your eyes look brown instead of green or whatever..

Comment

Working...
                              X