Building a Kids Playset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a Kids Playset

So I think for my Father's day Gift I am going to build my kids a playset. One of those wooden fort type things with swings and all.

Has anyone ever built one?

I've been looking at them online, and I'm wondering if I should bother with getting a kit, or just wing it from the start. I'm pretty handy and I've built decks and stuff. (I do tend to over build things though) So I'm looking for some advice from those suckers that have come before me.

My kids are 3 & 2.

At this point, I'm Kind of looking at doing something like this

"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

if your handy, go and compare the cost of the kits to the cost of the wood. Last time My dad looked into it the wood was so much cheaper we just made our own, but now adays, who knows. If it's cheaper then I'd buy the kit, lot less thinking required ya know?
    Originally posted by G-MONEY
    It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Here is our playset. My recommendation is that you pay somebody to do it! If you are going to do it on your own. You will need at least two people to do it.
      Attached Files

Comment

you need a sand box tequila!!!
        The sun never sets on a badass

Comment

Put some electrical in that bad boy, maybe a firemans pole, possibly running water, toilet, and if your bored a hot tub (for their heighborhood friends.
          Last edited by zad0030; 06-06-2007, 03:07 AM.
          Common Sense is not so Common
          Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Moki View Post
            Here is our playset. My recommendation is that you pay somebody to do it! If you are going to do it on your own. You will need at least two people to do it.
            I'll second that opinion! Your time is better spent on your Tige!
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Kits are good, perhaps check that method first.
              Also, some people are selling theirs 'cause the kids are older,, that method saves work too.
              COSCO/SAMSclub sometimes stocks them this time of year too.
              Avoid Redwood.
              http://www.cedarworks.com/refer.php?...FQSlYAodRX9ATQ

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun View Post
                So I think for my Father's day Gift I am going to build my kids a playset. One of those wooden fort type things with swings and all.
                BTW, when you do install this, you need to put at least 6-9" of #9 pea gravel underneath or you will risk serious injury to your kids. Trust me, I know. I would not want any parent to relive our nightmare from last year.
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                  BTW, when you do install this, you need to put at least 6-9" of #9 pea gravel underneath or you will risk serious injury to your kids. Trust me, I know. I would not want any parent to relive our nightmare from last year.
                  I was wondering what your recommendation would be. I see people put sand, gravel, wood mulch and that recycled tire mulch down. I want it to be a soft landing when they fall.

I'm very surprised no one has said "Man up and build it yourself you sissy!"

Zad, the Hot tubs are for me and the wife!
                  Wannabe, sandboxes attract cat crap!
                  "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

I was wondering what your recommendation would be. I see people put sand, gravel, wood mulch and that recycled tire mulch down. I want it to be a soft landing when they fall.

Zad, the Hot tubs are for me and the wife!
                    Wannabe, sandboxes attract cat crap!
                    I did the kit from our local Menards. All together it was $550.00, I cut the wood the night before and put it together myself the next morning. As far as the sand box I too did not want it to become a large litter box so I built a cover for it.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't do wood mulch. That's how my son nearly lost his life. He fell backwards hanging from a 7' monkey bar onto wood mulch, a fall of less than 6'. I think you've seen the pictures, but if not, I can PM them to you.

Sand is ok, but pea gravel is the best option.

Comment

"Man up and build it yourself you sissy!"
                        Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Wow, I think you got your point across G....

Comment

Tequila was surprised that no one said it yet so .....
                            Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

If you are handy then the "do it your self" way is less expensive, but you may have a hard time finding the right accesories. I am like you and tend to over build or over due, so my wife always recomends we do the kit thing. I would start with a simple design like that and end up with a commercial park design. I am also of the opinion of more time on the Tige' is a good thing.
                              My dad always said "Stupid Hurts". He's yet to be proven wrong, but for some reason I keep trying.

Comment

Working...
                              X