Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bald Eagle

Here's a way off topic.

This is the only "real" legally salvaged bald eagles nest in the world. It is at at a wetlands/nature exhibit that's about 5 miles from where I live. It was harvested about 2 miles from my house. It was taken down because the tree it was in was damaged by wind and was in danger of falling down. The eagles that occupied it have since built another nest. It's about 9 feet tall and weighs around 2,000 lbs. The Federal Government owns it. They had to freeze it at about -20 degrees for a month or so, thaw it and then freeze it again to kill all of the bugs and organisms to help preserve it.
    Attached Files

That is awesome, great pics Jilly.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Wow that is very cool!

Comment

Neato! I see quite a few Eagles around these parts and there was even one out at my home lake, Lahonton, which is kind of funny as the lake itself is in the middle of the desert. Last year was the first year I didn't see it out there in the last 5 years.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

They are truly amazing birds!!

Comment

Was that from the wind storms here recently, and where is this exibit at?

Thanks,

Comment

Very cool indeed...........I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild. I've seen tons of hawks and falcons.......but not the Majestic Bald Eagle!!!! That is very cool and thanks for sharing it!!! Cheers, Brandon

Comment

I've seen a few at Shasta when there, mostly early morning and around dusk. During the day you can hear them screaming in their nests when anchored in coves, pretty cool.
                "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

We see a lot of them up at Almanor. The house we rent is right on it's own little point that the Ospreys and Eagles love to fish it. When the wind kicks up, they will hover right over the the tree tops right in front of the house and fish the point. Eagles also love eggs. The are constantly getting chased around by the other birds in the area. One managed to sneak into an Osprey nest right out on the point last year and get the eggs. The Osprey showed up to find an Eagle in it's nest at had to sit there and watch while the Eagle had lunch. It was kinda sad, but it was like watching the Discorery Channel happen in your back yard.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

There's more info about the eagles nest atwww.ci.hillsboro.or.us once your there, click on the eagles nest. More info on the Jackson Bottom Wetlands is at the bottom of that page.
                    My bosses wife works at the Wetlands as an educator. Pretty cool place they've developed. It was once a lagoon area for a large wastewater treatment plant and is adjacent to a large landfill. Really cool how all three can "get along". We are very fortunate here in the NW that we have people working really hard to preserve this kind of stuff. One of the partners in this eagle nest is Clean Water Services (CWS). They are a local agency that takes care of our regions sewage and stormwater resources. They are very forward thinking and nationaly recognized. I work closely with them in my city.

Check out the site & let me know if I can answer any questions!
                    Mark

Comment

that is pretty cool. We have some bald eagles around Table Rock, not sure if they are resident or if they migrate in and out, but it is always cool to see them.

WE are famous for our Turkey vultures though...
                      "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun View Post
                        that is pretty cool. We have some bald eagles around Table Rock, not sure if they are resident or if they migrate in and out, but it is always cool to see them.

WE are famous for our Turkey vultures though...
                        Wasn't it a toss up between the Eagle and Turkey Vulture for the National Symbol?

Ahh a truly magnificent creature
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by sparky216; 01-25-2007, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X