X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tug boat goes under bridge

Thought this was cool.
    Attached Files
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

looks like he forgot to hit the turbo

Comment

Well thats one way to get under...
      Common Sense is not so Common
      Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

And the rest.
        Puter's movin slow tonight, you'll beat me before I could finish
        Attached Files
        Last edited by chpthril; 01-14-2007, 02:51 AM.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by zad0030 View Post
          Well thats one way to get under...

like i said before..

Comment

What it looks like happened here to me is, the tug missed the draw bridge, got stuck from the current and tipped it over and pushed under. How would you like to be driving that ?

Comment

I've seen this before and I always wonder why this happened. If it was on purpose, that's pretty brave. I wonder what country that was in.
              "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
              "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

I would say it is in the US, the yellow sign in the picture says "Vertical Clearance". It looks like the type of river tugs they have all over the midwest rivers(Mississippi, Ohio, Tennessee...) As to the reason, it looks like there is a pretty good flow to the river, maybe the barges broke loose, the tug tried to catch them, then couldn't stop before hitting the bridge and the current finally overtook it. Those things are powerful but not supper maneuverable. I watched them on the Mississippi River from the bluffs at college in Elsah, Illinois, just north of St Louis. In my captain's license class they showed us a bunch of videos of tugs plowing through things that they could not avoid, like dumb boaters. I learned to give those things CLEARANCE when boating around them.

Comment

mntnsmth - where did you go to school in that area? I went to siu in carbondale and then lived in st. louis for 3 years after. Is Suaget il still the biggest little "party" and I use that term loosely there? is pops still open 24/7?

Comment

I read the story of this from the captain of that Tugboat. If I remember correctly, the Tug lost power in the high water of a storm. The captain had just enough time to beach the barge, and get his crew off of the tug.

The captain rode it out... I'll see if I can find a link to the story.
                    "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Man google + Snopes = one great combination.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/towboat.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun View Post
                        Man google + Snopes = one great combination.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/towboat.asp
                        God that link was "pop-up central", had like 5 pop-ups on that one

Comment

Those pics have been around since 1979? Dang. I thought it was a more recent photo. I've seen these before but didn't know they were that old.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky216 View Post
                            God that link was "pop-up central", had like 5 pop-ups on that one
                            Really? Didn't get a one. Are you using Firefox, or do you have your pop up blocker enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun View Post
                              Really? Didn't get a one. Are you using Firefox, or do you have your pop up blocker enabled?
                              Yeah, what's a popup?
                              "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
                              "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

Working...
                              X