Home theatre questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home theatre questions

I want to get a Home theater system for my almost completed basement rec room/theater room. Any suggestions?

Here's what I'm working with:

1) I need a surround sound system.
    2) I want to be able to play music in the other areas of the room, so that it doesn't sound localized to the TV...I know, more speakers, but how do I set it up so these other speakers won't throw weird echo's when I'm using the Surround sound.
    3) Home theater in a Box stuff looks like the best price point way to go, but are the systems comparable to individual componets?
    4) I want individual speakers for the Surround Sound, no Bose two speaker made to sound like 10 type of set up.
    5) Budget is probably around 400 bucks +/- unless I am convinced that I need to spend more.
    6) I'm not an audiophile, and honestly the room setup won't be the most ideal for super high quality audio...wood floors, lots of hard surfaces, etc, but I would like "room filling sound"
    7) This system will probably be moved upstairs to our other viewing area in the future, so expansion/retraction would be helpfull. It will also probably be replaced by a more in depth setup in the future.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
    "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

1)OK
    2)Can you explain further....do you mean you want to have in ceilings in a bathroom for music to play over?
    3)In a box is for budget and budget only.....if you are an audiophile, you detest the idea. Those in the box systems are very underpowered, and you will have trouble upgrading in the future.
    4)OK
    5)I think you need to spend more
    6)You will get room filling sound from just two towers and a sub,if you choose correctly
    7)That's good to know

If I were in you situation, I would start with a couple of really good components, and expand down the road. However you indicate that you are not an audiophile, and just want room filling sound, so an in-the-box setup will probably fit the bill. I would drop $400 on just the reciever. Some of the box setups have come a long way, but they are going to be limited on optical inputs, digital inputs, etc. Those inputs and processing are what gives the sound you are looking for, more so than the components themselves. The reciever has to decode the audio to know what sound goes to what speaker. Just know that an in-the-box will probably give you hours of good sound, and will fit a budget nicely, but I would plan on a complete replacement to get that "next level" sound many of us go for with home theaters. You could always give that one to the kids for their tv, and then go all out with some JBL or Klipsch when the time for "yours" gets here. An boxed setup is gonna be awesome for a while, then you are going to start to notice it doesn't perform what you want; especially if you have friends with some nice gear. End thoughts: if you choose to go with boxed, plan on no future expansion, and limited inputs. If you go with components, plan on dropping more than $400, and only having 3 of the 6 required speakers to have true surround sound (two towers, and sub), but the availability of expanding and having a really awesome system later. You are probably going to get the same enjoyment out of either depending on what you currently have. If you currently have a built in tv speaker, as Billy Ed would say, happier than a retard at the Chuck-E-Cheese.
    Last edited by spharis; 12-01-2006, 07:15 PM.
    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Spharis thanks.

I'm looking for honest opinions about my budget, I have just taken a quick look, and found that the Box systems start around the 400 buck mark...

*of course as I write this I think the more I can save in the audio portion, the more I can spend on the TV

The issue with the room is, it is in the shape of an L. with the Screen in the short side of the L kind of tucked in the corner, and the rest of the "entertainment areas" in the other portion. I have experienced in similar set ups that the sound noticeably comes from the Screen area. I want to be able to have it also fill the other areas. I am planning on 3 smaller screens around the room, think Sports bar set up. While the smaller screens don't need to play audio through the system, when all screens are on the same thing, I don't want to have the audio coming from the main screen....does that make it any clearer?

I don't need the music to play in the bathroom or in another room.

I have read that Onkyo is a good beginner brand, what are your suggestions as to brand?

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun
        Spharis thanks.

I'm looking for honest opinions about my budget, I have just taken a quick look, and found that the Box systems start around the 400 buck mark...

*of course as I write this I think the more I can save in the audio portion, the more I can spend on the TV

The issue with the room is, it is in the shape of an L. with the Screen in the short side of the L kind of tucked in the corner, and the rest of the "entertainment areas" in the other portion. I have experienced in similar set ups that the sound noticeably comes from the Screen area. I want to be able to have it also fill the other areas. I am planning on 3 smaller screens around the room, think Sports bar set up. While the smaller screens don't need to play audio through the system, when all screens are on the same thing, I don't want to have the audio coming from the main screen....does that make it any clearer?

I don't need the music to play in the bathroom or in another room.

I have read that Onkyo is a good beginner brand, what are your suggestions as to brand?
        Tequila,
        We have a Marantz/Paradigm system in the media room, but bought one of those big box systems for the kids bonus room and to be honest with you, the sound is 10x better with the Marantz/Paradigm system but I dont know if it was worth 20x more. I paid $400.00 for a JVC 6disk/sub/5speaker system and is sounds just fine. Onkyo/Denon they are all fine but your budget will dictate what is reasonable for you. With $400.00 I'd go with the big box system.

"While the smaller screens don't need to play audio through the system, when all screens are on the same thing, I don't want to have the audio coming from the main screen....does that make it any clearer? "

That makes no sense to me

Comment

While the smaller screens don't need to play audio through the system, when all screens are on the same thing, I don't want to have the audio coming from the main screen....does that make it any clearer?
          That's going to be hard to do without having seperate stereos for each. Some recievers have output selection that allow for multiplte configurations (usually for more than one room to play music) so that would work here, but you aren't going to get that feature in a boxed type reciever.

You might want to just use the tv's built in speakers on the remote tv's, and have the surround setup on the main screen for "movie time".
          http://www.wakeboatworld.com
          []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Ok, based on those ideas guys, I think I might be stretching what the capabilites of the Home theater is designed for.

So I'm gonna go ahead and throw the $400 budget out the window

Let's concentrate on just the Surround sound set up.

How many speakers?
            What kind of power requirements?

The "room" for the viewing area of the main screen is 10' by about 30', with the TV on the short side, if this makes much of a difference. The seating area will be close to the middle of this rectangle. My plan was to put the Sub in the rear of the room, with the other speakers in the classic arrangement around the seating area.

Do you think this will work, or should I think about moving the Sub closer to the seating area?

Also I'm told that I need to keep the front speakers close to the screen, and at ear level, is this correct?

Comment

IMO go big or go home.

1. Get a 700-800W receiver
              2. Get a good (big) center channel
              3. Get some nice size floor speakers for the LF and RF
              4. Get some bookshelf speakers for the RR and LR speakers
              5. Get at least a 12" sub
              Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Just a smidge off topic, do any of the audiophiles have a reputable online shop to get older (mid 70's) McIntosh stuff? I want to get another amp for my current amp and pre-amp and the only shops around me only deal in new.

Comment

Ok, based on those ideas guys, I think I might be stretching what the capabilites of the Home theater is designed for.

How many speakers?

The "room" for the viewing area of the main screen is 10' by about 30', with the TV on the short side, if this makes much of a difference. The seating area will be close to the middle of this rectangle. My plan was to put the Sub in the rear of the room, with the other speakers in the classic arrangement around the seating area.

Do you think this will work, or should I think about moving the Sub closer to the seating area?

Also I'm told that I need to keep the front speakers close to the screen, and at ear level, is this correct?
                  I just went through this. I'm not a huge audiophile, but having said that, I do appreciate good sound quality as do you, judging by the tunes you have on your boat. I did a lot of research and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to match my existing stereo speakers.

However, in the course of my research, I found that I liked the Klipsch Synergy Series Quintet III 5-Piece Home Theater Speaker System the best, especially matched up with their 10" powered sub. You should have asked about this last week because on Friday after Thanksgiving, both were 1/2 price (speakers for $249 and sub for $199). You'd still need the A/V receiver.

You want to put the sub in a corner if possible...it doesn't matter if it's front or rear...just needs to be as close to a corner as possible. I have mine in the front.

You want 5 speakers (2 front, 1 center, 2 rear). The most important ones are the 2 fronts, center channel and sub. You want the fronts and center channel to match (sound color wise) or it won't sound right. The easiest way to get them to match is to buy all 5 in a set.

Also, the A/V receiver is important. It's better if you get one that supports component video inputs and outputs. Mine has 3 inputs and 1 out. You also want digital audio inputs for full surround sound processing capability at the receiver.

Here's what I ended up with:
                  • TV: Mitsubishi 57" DLP HD TV capable of 1080p (you want at least 1080i and yes, you can tell the difference between 1080i and 720p)
                  • A/V Receiver: Yamaha 5950 (810W 6.1 receiver with 3 Component Video inputs and 3 digital audio inputs - you want the digital audio connections because they facilitate the surround sound processing, also, the A/V receiver does all the video/audio selection so when you watch a DVD, it automatically switches both audio and video)
                  • Sub-Woofer - Klipsch 420W 10" powered sub (200W RMS)...yeah baby
                  • Rear-Channels - Accurian wireless speakers (hey, they were 50 bucks on clearance at Radio Shack, sound pretty good and no wires)
                  • Front-Channels - MB Quart 2 (I got these years ago when MB Quart first started selling their hifi speakers over here, so I got a great deal...they sound like I paid 10 times more than I did)
                  • Center Channel - MB Quart QL C 304 Ctr (I wanted to try and match my really nice front channels and scored a killer deal on Ubid for $49.00 including shipping)
                  • Logitech Harmony Remote - this is a must have because it will control anything and is so easy to use, my wife can do it and she really didn't want to like it, but loves it.

This system sounds better than the movie theater. Total outlay on the speakers I bought recently (rear, center and sub) was about $300, but remember, I already had the front channel speakers. The receiver runs about $400 at Best Buy.
                  Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

How many speakers?

I'm no audiophile so I went to our local A/V store and told them what I wanted and my budget they came out to my house and checked it out, took some measurements and gave me several recomendations with several prices and I chose, based on there knowledge, what best suited me. A/V equiptment like boats I find will bring in 1,000,000,000 different views and opinions......it's just too hard, and if you have never heard the "good stuff" you'll be no less satisfied with Wal Mart brand IMHO

Comment

Did you get it yet? What did you end up with?

Comment

Originally posted by sparky216 View Post
                        Did you get it yet? What did you end up with?
                        Not yet, this was more of a pre-fact finding mission on my part. I looked at some bose systems, but I don't think they have the ability to do what I want. I think they sound great, but I don't know if there is enough power for the system.

The "room" is about 25' X 30' with 10' ceilings. I'm gonna need a good deal of power to get that place rocking. I was initially going to go with a Projector Screen instead of a TV, but having looked at some newer TV's in buddies houses, I think I will go with a large HDLCD.

I'm still certainly open to suggestions, I'm probably going to get the HT system in Mid January, and the TV after the super bowl. Everyone tells me prices will go down then, I don't mind waiting to see.

Plus the basement I am finishing to do this isn't completed. I'm doing quite a bit of the work myself, and I'm slow..lazy, and quite a bit dumb......

Comment

Don't get Bose. Bose sound OK by themselves, but iff you listen to a full size speaker next to a Bose, you will understand what I am talking about.

I have 2 systems one upstairs and one in my basement.

Upstairs:
                          Aquos 45" LCD
                          Marantz receiver SR8400 (Used to use an Onkyo Integra - now in my bedroom)
                          Klipsch Speakers (almost 20 years old KG-4s - still horn loaded)
                          12" Klipsch Subwoofer (almost 20 years old)
                          Infinity wall speakers for satellites

Downstairs:
                          Sharp Ceiling projector
                          Marantz receiver SR8400
                          Infiinty Primus 360 Speakers
                          Wharfdale Subwoofer
                          3 infinity wallspeakers for satellites

My philosophy is to not skimp on your sound system. Most of the system I have upstairs I bought in college. It was expensive at the time, but good equipment will sound great and last for a long time. I also don't go overboard, my in-law's neighbor makes the Wilson Audio Wamm speakers and they sell for a $100,000 a pair.

My trick is to buy last year's models off of Ubid or eBay. You end up with a quality system for under half the price. You will save money and be happier in the long run by going with quality equipment -- Think Tige vs. Bayliner.

Comment

Originally posted by Moki View Post
                            Don't get Bose. Bose sound OK by themselves, but iff you listen to a full size speaker next to a Bose, you will understand what I am talking about.

My trick is to buy last year's models off of Ubid or eBay. You end up with a quality system for under half the price. You will save money and be happier in the long run by going with quality equipment -- Think Tige vs. Bayliner.

I have ruled out Bose as an option. I may put one of there systems in my upstairs, but that room is more for casual viewing, it is small, and the size of the Bose speakers makes the wife happy.

I like the idea of buying off of ubid and Ebay. I seems like everyone has their favorite brand of receiver (duh!) and I'm more looking for quality brand names.

I almost bought a Sony Receiver last night at Curcuit City, but I realized that it was the price that was attractive to me, and I had no Idea whether or not it was a quality piece of equiptment. So I passed on the impulse buy.

Plus, I was a bit dazed my the TV displays. I had no idea that the larger flat screens had come down so much in price over the last year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun View Post
                              I have ruled out Bose as an option. I may put one of there systems in my upstairs, but that room is more for casual viewing, it is small, and the size of the Bose speakers makes the wife happy.

I like the idea of buying off of ubid and Ebay. I seems like everyone has their favorite brand of receiver (duh!) and I'm more looking for quality brand names.

I almost bought a Sony Receiver last night at Curcuit City, but I realized that it was the price that was attractive to me, and I had no Idea whether or not it was a quality piece of equiptment. So I passed on the impulse buy.

Plus, I was a bit dazed my the TV displays. I had no idea that the larger flat screens had come down so much in price over the last year or so.
                              I wouldn't mind a Sony if it is their upper end -- Yamaha's are very solid as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X