plasma vs. lcd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plasma vs. lcd

Hey all, how's the Tige family doing? All's good here.
    Question for all, what do you suggest? I'm looking at getting a new t.v. At least 42 inch and it needs to be wall mounted. I have not done any home work yet but i figured i would ask you first.
    Plasma or LCD?
    Greg Denton
    former service mgr. Tige Watersports July 95-July 05

TV

After much research myself, our old Sony bigscreen picture tube went out, lasted 15 years. I have a built in cabinet around our old TV, everything now is shorter and wider. I went with the Pioneer 50" Plasma, I don't think it was but $500.00 more than the 42" screen. My Dad built a smaller cabinet to hold the new TV to make it look like it fit into the old square hole in my cabinets. Also, I found out to buy from authorized dealers on the Pioneers for service.
    Karen

Comment

Tige MD,
      Just went through this debate myself and ended up with a 60 inch DLP tv, didn't need the wall mount. From my research Plasma is the way to go. They are cheaper than LCD in the large screen arena, show deeper blacks and have better viewing from angles. Older LCD tv's had a tendency to blur with fast moving objects or sports broadcasts, if you do buy LCD go with the lower refresh rate and this will reduce bluring. Althought I must say I never did see the bluring on new style LCD tv's. If you are an tv junkie, well if you can see every pixel on 1080i/p then LCD will give you what you need, more pixels. They also say that LCD's use about 40% less energy to run. As far as life, who knows? I understand that they both will get about between 30000-60000hrs, my dlp bulb burned out the first month and they replaced it that day. I think Plasma gives you more tv for the dollar, but then again I'm not a TV junkie and don't need the lcd. Just my opinion, either way I'm sure you'll be very happy.

J

Comment

M.D.! What up Dude. I trust your pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down with the Z06? Atta boy.

I happen to be in the market right now. I'm leaning toward the LCD. My first concern with the plasma was burn in and life. So far as the the "burn in", from what I understand, they have made a lot of improvements to rectify that problem. So far as the short life span, unfounded as of this point in time. They haven't been around long enough to prove that they can't last. They do have deeper blacks than the LCDs, but once again, huge strides in improving that deal with the LCDs. The main thing that is pushing me toward the LCD is the screen coating. Plasma's are glossy which creats a ton of glare. LCDs are flat, almost no glare. If you've got a lot of windows, this could be a problem. The veiwing angle on the LCDs is just about as good as the plasma's now. The LCDs also weigh considerably less. The blurring issues have all but gone away in the new high end LCD's as well. Fortunately, prices are dropping like a rock for all these new fangled TVs. I'm eye balling the 52" Sharp Aquos LCD. $3500 at Best Buy. I'm going over to a buddies house tonight to watch the game in HD on his 50" Philips plasma. It's only a 760 res. so I'm interested in how it will look. I do like the Ambilight thingy on his.

Hope this helps.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I'm with Sparky, if you didn't need a wall mount, go with a DLP. I just picked up a 57" Mitsubishi 1080i HDTV and it's spectacular. Quite a few of the HD channels in my area are broadcast in 1080i.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

TV

I think my 50" Pioneer was $3999.00 delivered to my door. I'm sure the pricing will drop even more if you can wait till Jan. I think Circuit City had about the same unit but more money, but it did come standard with a wall bracket.

Comment

I do like the Ambilight thingy on his.

Yea that is quite neat!

Comment

I went through this debate several months ago and purchased a 45" LCD Sharp Aquos. The reasons I went with the LCD are:

Runs cooler and takes less energy
                Picture light is supposed to last longer
                Better picture detail for High Definition TV
                Lighter than the plasma screens
                I can hook my computer up to it and play games
                No burn in issues

I use this mostly for TV. Plasma screens are gernerally better for movies. I use a ceiling mounted projector for movies.

Comment

Thanks guy's. I'll let you know how this all turns out.
                  Greg Denton

Comment

High end TV's vs $$

I have had this same discussion with my wife about TVs. She wants a plasma or LCD but I keep refusing. I have this weird theory in my head that I will never spend more than a $1000 dollars on a TV because we could be doing better things than watching TV. I always tell her I would rather get a 4 wheeler for 3k or spending it on something that keeps us from being inside.

Anyway, I am slowly loosing this fight....so Id be interested to hear your results Greg, along with everyonelses

Comment

Ya know I totally agree with you Matt. I have been working 7 days a week for as long as I can remember right now. I spend all of about 15 min a day in front of a T.V. The wife on the other hand is a stay at home mom and has the T.V. running all damned day. if it's not soaps it's cartoons. I am at the point where they can move a T.V. out of another room. I would rather be out doing something like this more often.
                      Attached Files
                      Greg Denton

Comment

Or maybe this...
                        Attached Files
                        Greg Denton

Comment

Who's flat MD? K boat? Hallet maybe? Hmmmmmmmm, some day.

Comment

Oh yeah, nice Rainbow as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO
                              Who's flat MD? K boat? Hallet maybe? Hmmmmmmmm, some day.
                              73' Hondo drag boat. I'll tell you the 30 year story of that later. Gotta go try to burn some lbs. at the gym right now.
                              Greg Denton

Comment

Working...
                              X