Friday Night Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Night Lights

Anyone out there catching this show? We started watching it because it's filmed right around here and the team uniform/stadiums pictured are in our district. That and the Leander Blue Belles are the cheerleading squad (with the exception of the one gal dating the paralyzed QB).

Is football that serious elsewhere in the country? I know growing up, soccer was bigger than football at my high school (I grew up on Long Island). It probably had something to do with the fact that our football team sucked and our soccer team was pretty good.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

HS football isn't as popular in California as it is depicted in that TV show, at least here in the Bay Area. I remember football being pretty popular when I was in school in the late 70's, there were always lots of kids and parents that went to games. Being in the band, we went to all the games anyways, but it seems to have waned over the years, having had kids in high school myself. A sahme too...it was clean, wholesome fun for the most part.

Mike
    Ambivalent? Yes. Or Not.

Comment

Football is big in Utah, but not to that extent. I played soccer at our high school, our soccer team was better than the football team, but more people showed up for football. However, 4 out of the 6 cheerleaders were dating soccer players - that really pissed off the football team for some reason. We were always playing tricks on each other.

Comment

Football is big, but Surfing is king!

The banner hanging in the gym had to add extensions to the bottom for all the years they have won. I'll ask my son to take a pic.
        Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Football is big in MO, especially Southern MO.

I would say Basketball is king here though.

The funny thing is Women's Basketball almost trumps mens. There is a strong Influence from the Missouri State Lady Bears.

From My experience, the only thing that rivals Texas HS football, is Florida HS football, and then it's not really that close.

You don't hear of too many Florida mom's trying to off little girls, just so their girl can make the Cheerleading squad.
          "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

We're going to the game tonite against the Pflugerville Panthers (whose uniform matches the Dillon Panthers from FLN). Should be a good game. Cedar Park is ranked #1 in Central Texas, but we have some injuries, including the starting quarterback. Pflugerville is pretty good this year.
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert
              We're going to the game tonite against the Pflugerville Panthers (whose uniform matches the Dillon Panthers from FLN). Should be a good game. Cedar Park is ranked #1 in Central Texas, but we have some injuries, including the starting quarterback. Pflugerville is pretty good this year.
              What in God's name is a Pfluger...and why is there a town named after it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun
                What in God's name is a Pfluger...and why is there a town named after it?
                It's where all the Plugers live (really!). It was a small farm town outside of Austin when I first moved here. Now it's one of the fastest growing towns in the country. It was founded by, that's right, the Pflugers. Pfluger is a German name and it means plowman (you know, the guy operating the plow). Here's a history of the town.

Comment

Dogbert, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but rather embellish it. Your and Tequilasun's last post inspired this.

What are the craziest high school teams (real names) that you have heard of:

Here are two that are in Utah:

Jordan Beetdiggers
                  Delta Jackrabbits

Comment

It's where all the Plugers live (really!). It was a small farm town outside of Austin when I first moved here. Now it's one of the fastest growing towns in the country. It was founded by, that's right, the Pflugers. Pfluger is a German name and it means plowman (you know, the guy operating the plow). Here's a history of the town.
                    I gotta get out more. Not at all what I was imagining.....

Comment

Looks like Friday Night Lights is filming at tonite's game...so stay tuned to see if the Dillon Panthers end up playing a team called the Timberwolves. Should be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Moki
                        Dogbert, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but rather embellish it. Your and Tequilasun's last post inspired this.

What are the craziest high school teams (real names) that you have heard of:

Here are two that are in Utah:

Jordan Beetdiggers
                        Delta Jackrabbits
                        Moki, what about the Davis Darts not to be confused with blue darts.
                        I'm a proud Dart.
                        My dad always said "Stupid Hurts". He's yet to be proven wrong, but for some reason I keep trying.

Comment

Timberwolves won 30-24 on the last play of the game. They remain unbeaten on the season.

Comment

Working...
                          X