Camper Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper Purchase

Ordered a camper today for our 2500 Dodge Cummins short box.

After going to two rv shows locally and looking at all the four seasons campers many times over we went with an 07 Arctic Fox 811.

Our's comes with a slide out, awning off the back, AC, fridge/freezer, microwave, oven/stove, CD player with speakers inside and outside as well as a Onan generator.

My wife and I decided after an entire season of tent camping with our boat that it was time we stepped up and went with a camper.

We have many camping trips planned for 07, Shasta for a week being the big one. I can't wait to be cool and comfortable during these trips.

I'm sure there are some of you out there that have campers ie Nickypoo. please reply if so and tell me how you like yours.
    Formertigeowners.com
    I used to be a member in the past.

I love having a camper. But then I hate tents. Last time I camped in a tent, I spent three hours sitting inside of it just to keep it on the ground. It started lifting off in a crazy wind storm and I just dove inside to keep it and all my stuff inside of it from blowing out onto and eventually across the lake. Good thing I had a bottle of Jack in there to keep me company. That was a long flight.

Anyways, yeah, you're stoked. The slide out is key. Good call. Mine does not have a slide out and I'm wishing it did. That being said, it's paid for. 15k cash got me a brand new '04 Eagle Cap 850. Stove, oven, micro, the big fridge with the separate freezer, outside shower, 10' awning, all aluminum frame with aluminum truss roof, fiberglass w/ gelcoat exterior. Had to buy my own gen. though.

Artic Fox builds a top notch camper though. I looked at them pretty hard. The thing that killed it for me was the shape of the roof. There wasn't one flat spot on it. Seeing as how I wanted a viewing platform for the Air Races, the Fox just wouldn't do. From what I remember they are pretty heavy for a truck camper. What's that thing weigh in at?

A few other things:
    What truck are you using?

What tiedown system are you installing?

What are you doing about the hitch?

Suspension?

The pic shown is of the setup I needed to upgrade to in order to keep my Tige safe. Reese Titan class V hitch and the Torqe Lift tie downs. The new hitch is all 2 1/2" box steel as oppossed to the stock 2" tube that comes on any GMC/Chevy. This way I can run a 30" long 2" extention for the Tige. Tiges are heavy so make sure you get a good tongue weight figure so you can plan your hitch set up appropriately. After I got the hitch squared away It was time for tie downs. The toque Lifts are pretty cool. they mount to the frame, not the bed/bumper. I can't tell you how disturbing it is to see guys tie down a 3 thousand pound camper to those little tiny brackets srewed into the bed and the bumper. It's crazy talk. That and they look rediculas when the camper is off. You don't even notice the Torque Lifts when the camper is off.
    I also put in a set air bags in the rear suspension. Made a huge difference. Also installed a set of Pirelli Scorpion STRa tires on the truck. Very nice performing load range "E" tire.
    Attached Files
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Shot of me and my old man atop our respective campers out at the Air Races.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply Nick.

We were looking at the Lance 861 and the Eagle Cap 850 both in slide out configurations.

Dry Weight: Arctic 3090, Lance 3000, Eagle 2685

Truck: 2006 Dodge Quad Cab 2500 Heavy Duty Cummins short box

Tie Downs: Torklift frame mounted

Hitch: Super Hitch class V

Suspension: Firestone ride right air bags

We really liked the Eagle Cap but there were just a few more ammenities with the Arctic that sold us on it.

We already have two campsites reserved in Bend Oregon to do some snowboarding up at Mt. Bachelor and I am stoked because I definately wouldn't try to tent camp in the snow.
        Formertigeowners.com

Comment

You guys got off easy, I had to trade the camper for a house...not that I'm complaining I wouldn't trade it for the world. But, the camper would be cool. Think they have one for the back of an Unimog?
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Hey Nick do you wax your camper. And if so do you use marine wax since they are sided with a gel coat and how often.

By the way price was $24,000 and that includes all installation on the truck, all hardware, and the super hitch.

Show price was 27,800 and no hitch so I feel we got a pretty good deal.
            Formertigeowners.com

Comment

Well done Carter! You're in Dude. 24K out the door is a killer deal. I got a smokin' deal on my hitch and bags and install. Had to pay retail on the Torque Lifts but everything else I got for cost from a friend who owned a trailer repair/ metal fab / truck pimpin' shop. He charged me one hour labor for a seven hour job.

You're stoked on the Bachelor trip. I'm assuming you've been there? My pop used to live there, but has since relocated to Redmond (is there a difference?).

Comment

Oh, yeah, wax it like a boat. It's gel coat. DO get yourself a cover for it ASAP though.

Let's see, what else? Got yer self a shitter hose? Fresh water hose? Rubber gloves are cool. Know your local dump station.
                Last edited by NICKYPOO; 10-10-2006, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I had to sell our 5th wheel trailer when we moved to our new house and leave behind a 1975 280z that I was working on

I grew up with our family going camping every weekend. Now, we occassionally camp in a tent, but more and more we camp at Marriott!

Nick, our last trip, I had my tent and sleeping bags blow into the lake. Luckily, a good samaritan saw it blow in and retrieved it for us before it ended up on the other side of Lake Powell. They were rewarded with our camp site as we were leaving.

This our new rig: (We hike 34 miles across the plains of Wyoming with the youth in our area in a re-enactment of the pioneers with a handcart)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Moki
                    This our new rig: (We hike 34 miles across the plains of Wyoming with the youth in our area in a re-enactment of the pioneers with a handcart)
                    LOL, can you hook it up to the back of your Tige?
                    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert
                      LOL, can you hook it up to the back of your Tige?
                      My question was, where is the guy with the coconuts making the horse cloppity clop sound.

Like Monty Python.
                      "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Dog,
                        I had it hooked up to the Tige, I think that I may have discovered TAPS3 for Tige - great surfing wake!

Tequilasun,
                        Ironically, we quoted Monty Python the whole trip, so yes there were cocunuts sounds!

BTW - use Maguires Color Restore on a handcart

Comment

Pioneers did not have Camelbaks and gatorade jugs!

Comment

They also didn't have doctors riding along with bikes and moleskin!

Ouch!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Carter,
                              You can officially consider this thread hi-jacked!

Comment

Working...
                              X