GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Looking to pick one up before heading to vegas. Looking for some real world feed back:

average battery life on continuous video?

average video time on a 64G card at full res?

Likely going to get a 2nd battery right off the bat, but considering a 2nd card.

Thanks,
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

They don't float.....ask me how I know.....

Comment

LOL, yep already planning on getting the safety orange GoPro floaty boot.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have four batteries for mine. I've found the wasabis last longer than the go pro batteries. I can get about 2 hours of continuous video on a battery...I only run each recording about 5 minutes at a time. That way I'm not looking through long video sequences. I just recently got an open case and wired a 15 foot USB cable to keep it plugged in all the time. Much better than swapping out batts. But with four batteries I am typically good for a day at the lake with near continuous shooting. I also mounted my iPad mini to the dash which shows continuous video feed so I can start stop and highlight when needed from the drivers seat.

I've never gotten close to using all my 64gb card. I think they just upgraded the software so it takes a 128gb card. 64gb should be plenty for the reunion. I shoot at 1080p.
        Last edited by boonecragun; 08-31-2016, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Michael,

I run mine continuously piped wirelessly through my Ipad as a rear camera/recording device via curlview. Mine runs 4 hours on a single battery with roughly 1 hr 45 of recording time. I take two batteries out with me charged and one stays on the charger.

The camera itself is epic, I prefer using it over my black.
          Germaine Marine
          "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Well, totally let down by my go-pro today. Started with 2 freshly charged batteries and ended with 2 dead batteries without 1 minute of video. We pulled a boat in a local x-mas parade and put the camera on the roof of the SUV pointing back at the boat. Before leaving the shop, I turned on the wi-fi, opened the app and then turned the camera off. before the parade started, i checked to make sure all was good...........battery 1 down to one bar. swapped in battery 2. Parade a little slow getting going so as we rounded the corner from the staging side street, i went to turn the cam on and start recording. Battery 2 dead.

So, in about a 1.5 hour period with camera off but wi-fi on so I could use the app, I went through two batteries and got no video

Comment

Bummer! The wifi kills the battery on the 3+, but generally not when the camera is turned off. Sorry to here that. They are great toys when they work right.

Comment

thats what I thought! didnt expect it to drain two batteries in off/sleep/stand by mode but with just the wi-fi on.

Our 1st trip out we got 2+ hours in time-lapse mode before swapping batteries. Swapped just to swap and be safe. Think it was down to one bar but not in the red.

This was the first time setting up to use the app..........lessen learned.

Comment

Did you turn the LCD screen on the camera off? That seems to drain a lot of battery for me if I leave it on which is also redundant when using the app.
                  Germaine Marine
                  "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Screen was off and camera was off and still drained battery.

Comment

I always have to remember to turn off the wifi. Thats a major battery killer. I have four batteries and this summer will run a cord and wifi to an ipad. No issues then.

Comment

Other tips for battery life (applicable to 3+, not sure later models) I have learned:
                        1. You can turn off 2 or all 4 of the red blinking LED's to conserve power
                        2. The higher the resolution the shorter the battery life (don't film higher than you need)
                        3. For quick rider drops, I stop and start the footage. For longer stops I turn off the camera with the app and leave the wifi on.
                        4. The app definitely drains the battery faster (because of the wifi), but if you use it to start and stop filming a lot it balances out battery life a little and then you don't have huge files to work with.

I can usually get a 2 tank scuba dive trip out of mine with one good battery. Somebody mentioned Wasabi, I have great luck with those. When wake surfing I used to carry 4 batteries. Now I carry 3 and a double charger with a USB plug. I can always stay ahead of the action that way with 2 on the charger.

Comment

Working...
                        X