Hotel Prices WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotel Prices WTF?

Whats up with hotel prices lately? Gearing up for the Mead Tige event and had planed to go back to the grand canyon for a couple days after the event. Looked into hotels in the same AZ town, nearly the same dates as last year and the rooms are $100+ more per night than least year. Looking at $500-$600 for 2 nights And these are not 5-star resorts by any means, looking to stay at the Holiday Inn Express where we stayed last year cause im a rewards member. They are all running about the same.

So on to plan B. Zion is one of our favorite places to go. Looked at the drive times from Temple Bar to Zion and its about what it is from temple bar to the GC, but a shorter drive back to Vegas from Zion. Looking at hotels and damned if they are in the $250 a night range

On the flip side, we booked 3 nights in the Tampa FL area for October, for less than $100 a night, with beach access. And this right in the middle of the IBEX boat builders show.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

supply and demand, but I do agree with you 100%. recent trips I have been on have either been on the cheap or stupid expensive.
    same with airfare. fly on a thursday-sunday and It's a grand, fly on a wed-sun and it's 300.

jealous of the tige event. perhaps next year.
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

When we go to Vegas each year, we typically stay an entire week, Its a $200 per ticket increase to stay less. Since we dont have to pay for a hotel while in vegas, it doesnt cost us more to stay longer but so worth it to save on the air fare. A couple extra days of a rental car is only about $60 with fees and taxes. Thats why we like to go do something like Zion or the Grand Canyon. 7 days in vegas can get boring
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

We just did a month all around Europe and used a company called Air bnb. Not a bed and breakfast-just people renting out their place but monitored by a company. Great having laundry facilities, kitchen etc which cut down the cost. They are all over the world. They were cheaper than a hotel in Europe also. Maybe familiar to people but just in case you werent.

Comment

people watch in vegas. now that can be fun.... you are right tho. my mum lives there and I don't even stay for 7 days.

you have enough hookups. spend the days on lake mead
          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

chp, some of this may have to do with the 100 year anniversary of the NP's...I have heard of the same kinds of rates increases around the NP's in CO as well.

Comment

Now that makes sense, didnt think about the 100 anniversary. Something like that to explain the 80% markup for the same time frame over last year.

Comment

Check www.vrbo.com that's how we do any trip that last more than a couple nights... There may even be a big house near or on water that a bunch of you guys that already know each other could throw in together and really cut costs.. I've been part of a few bachelor parties that we worked this way and it was awesome
                Last edited by Bryan; 06-01-2016, 10:20 PM.

Comment

You are always welcome to "camp" at our property on the North Side of Zion in Swains Creek, only a short drive further North and it's free! By then the garage with living quarters should be habitable and you can test out the Stealth soundbar in the Rhino!!

Comment

And where did you see the prices? Yes, you need to try very hard to find adequate prices like the planet of hotels, for example. We need to look for trust booking services with a large number of filters, which I will not show only expensive options at first

Comment

Thanks for the help Behe1942, but we found some accommodations BANK IN 2016

Gotta love the spammer

Comment

Well, since this thread is back from the dead;

Wife had work in Asheville NC a few weeks back and a typical room cost us >$120 at a place we stay often. She has another work day 2nd week of Oct. Looking at the same place and others in the area and they jump 2X+ because its prime leaf season.

I found a place an hr further west in Cherokee for about $150. This puts us 10 minutes from the NC Elk heard . So we can watch the elk for a few hours the next day, then make our way home through places like Cashiers, etc, which is prime waterfall country.

Comment

Try Airbnb. Probably better prices and you don't get the hotel experience

Comment

Working...
                          X