Anybody know about automotive bulbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody know about automotive bulbs?

One of the daytime running lights in my Yukon has burned out and I want to switch them to LED.. Manual calls for a 4114 bulb, but all I can find in LED are the 3157's.. Any chance these are interchange? I know the bases look the same..

If thats the original hard copy manual, my gut says its an outdated bulb number. This GMC/Chevy trucks experienced short bulb life so GM changed to a different bulb. Search DRL TSB or daytime running light TSB and see what comes up.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Another option is going HID, can usually get the power ballast and light for roughly the cost of 1 LED strip.
      My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Will do.. It's the original manual but the online bulb replacement guide on the sylvania website still says the 4114 bulb. I've googled "4114 led" and all that comes back are 3157's..

Just searched for that service bulletin and it looks like the 4114 is the new bulb, suppose to be more "robust" and longer lasting, to replace the earlier bulbs that burned out easily.. So, if these were made to last longer, don't LEDs also last longer than incandescent bulbs?

Comment

I thought about HID.. Didn't know how those would last as a DRL since they power on and off everything the vehicle is shifted in and out of drive.. i think I read somewhere that all that firing is hard on HIDs, that why a lot of people say to disable you auto headlights if you convert to HID.. Keeps them from turning on and off all the time

Comment

Sounds like your year was after the original bulb was found to have a short life, so the manual lists the updated 4114K

http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Matchi...4114k+led+bulb
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Awesome! Never even thought to check Amazon... I've just been looking in the local parts stores
              Thank you

Comment

Vleds.com, they'll have everything and the quality is top notch

Comment

And stay away from HID's, they'll burn out in no time with the constant off/on

Comment

I read something on a VW website that in order to switch to LED bulbs you needed to change or add something with the wiring harness to make it compatible with LED lights. I'll try to look around and find it again but some of the 12V guys might know what I'm thinking about. Probably why there isn't a direct replacement LED bulb for that light assembly.
                    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Ewok,

On some vehicles that use bulb monitoring circuit that warns you that a bulb is out, wont work with an LED. These circuits typically monitor for voltage low, or in other words, ground, when the light is off. This ground is detected through the filament. Since the "D" in LED is diode, that ground cant be sensed.

Comment

Or if using them for flashers sometimes you need a resistor or they flash super fast

Comment

^^^^^ yep, good point also. Not enough resistance in the circuit for the flasher to work right

Comment

Working...
                          X