Motor Nomenclature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Nomenclature

So I'm not a big motor guy. I have a 1978 Chevy 3/4ton that has a 350 in it. But today everything is listed in liters (4.8, 5.0, 5.3, 5.7, etc) So why the change? So when descrbing my motor in the Tige (2000 2300V Limited) it is a Black Scorpion Multi Port Injection, displacement 350 cid.

So when someone asks I tell them its a 350 or ???

20150616_184616[1].jpg

I think it was in the late 90's if I remember correctly, when the GM small block changed from a true 350cid to something closer to 346cid -- when doing the math, they still both round to 5.7L, convenient so that GM could keep the marketing consistent. I think I remember that there's an old Galaxie that had a 7L badge on it back in the 60's, so the metric designation has been around for awhile in some form, though I think it was more common in fuel injection over carb's when it has been used.

With your 2000 year engine, I don't doubt the label that it is a true 350, since boat engines can be a few years behind the current production blocks.

Comment

its a 350, but based on the internal cams, lifters, valve heads and the amount of compression... it puts out max 330hp.
      2011 Tigé RZ4
      www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

Working...
      X