No announcement yet.

Towing with a lifted truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=SBM1234;740722]I thought most of the Chevy's came with 3.73 gears? You might want to double check that.

Anyway, I had a GMC Denali that pulled our 22Ve just fine. Only got about 11 mpg, but didn't have any transmission issues. It wasn't lifted, but I did put 22z on it which raised it a touch. I usually tow with our 2005 2500HD, it has a 6" lift on 37x12.50 R20s. What is most important, IMO, is the hitch and getting your boat trailer level when you tow. I have the trimaz razor that is adjustable so that I can tailor the ride height of the trailer to ensure the proper weight distribution. I absolutely hate saggy britches - the condition where your rear rides lower than your front. With the proper adjustment, I was able to get my truck to ride level when towing the boat. I have a slight rake (~2") when I am not towing.

I think the lifted 1500 will be ok so long as you get the trailer level and your ride height adjusted correctly. Don't expect to run off on any eco-boost trucks or pass up a lot of gas stations, but it should be ok. Make sure that they didn't crank your torsion bars to get the truck to set level with the lift (without a trailer) - Chevy's have always had a little rake.[/QUOTE
    I believe you are right 3.73 I was thinking of my Yukon has the 3:42 in it. I have to have the trailer level. I hate seeing some one with a trailer riding on the rear axle. I spent lots of time getting my trailer to ride level eith our current trucks. thanks for the info.

Comment

So after all the reading of everyone's posts. I decided to look into a 2500 Chevy or F250 ford. I know that will start another discussion that we all don't want to get into. But going to look at doing the same lift and tires on one of the 3/4 ton trucks. Thank you for all the posts. I think we will be much happier with the bigger truck.

Comment

Well hell if a 3/4 ton truck is an option then throw a 10 in lift and 44s on it and it'll tow 2 horses and the boat at the same time haha! They are built for towing where as half tons are all in a mpg race right now. And I still couldn't trust MY wife towing even with a 3/4 ton lol, maybe yours can teach mine how to back a trailer one day! I just bought a 2014 5.3 as well and it's kind of weak coming from my 6.4 power stroke and duramax. If you like lifted trucks and programmers get a dmax for sure, they are hotrods and fun to drive. Powerstrokes drive heavy but will handle more weight. For recreational use dmax all day!

Comment

I put a blower on my 5.3L and now I eat Raptors and Ecoboosts!

Sent from my Passport

Comment

Originally posted by hairball View Post
            Well hell if a 3/4 ton truck is an option then throw a 10 in lift and 44s on it and it'll tow 2 horses and the boat at the same time haha! They are built for towing where as half tons are all in a mpg race right now. And I still couldn't trust MY wife towing even with a 3/4 ton lol, maybe yours can teach mine how to back a trailer one day! I just bought a 2014 5.3 as well and it's kind of weak coming from my 6.4 power stroke and duramax. If you like lifted trucks and programmers get a dmax for sure, they are hotrods and fun to drive. Powerstrokes drive heavy but will handle more weight. For recreational use dmax all day!
            It is fun when she backs the boat down the ramp and everyone is expecting a guy to jump out not a blond! I am not in the fuel economy race she just likes the style of the 1500. So now on to 3/4 ton shopping. I have some buddies with d max trucks and they love them as long as there are 2007.

Comment

[QUOTE=LTtige22v;740731]
              Originally posted by SBM1234 View Post
              I thought most of the Chevy's came with 3.73 gears? You might want to double check that.

Anyway, I had a GMC Denali that pulled our 22Ve just fine. Only got about 11 mpg, but didn't have any transmission issues. It wasn't lifted, but I did put 22z on it which raised it a touch. I usually tow with our 2005 2500HD, it has a 6" lift on 37x12.50 R20s. What is most important, IMO, is the hitch and getting your boat trailer level when you tow. I have the trimaz razor that is adjustable so that I can tailor the ride height of the trailer to ensure the proper weight distribution. I absolutely hate saggy britches - the condition where your rear rides lower than your front. With the proper adjustment, I was able to get my truck to ride level when towing the boat. I have a slight rake (~2") when I am not towing.

I think the lifted 1500 will be ok so long as you get the trailer level and your ride height adjusted correctly. Don't expect to run off on any eco-boost trucks or pass up a lot of gas stations, but it should be ok. Make sure that they didn't crank your torsion bars to get the truck to set level with the lift (without a trailer) - Chevy's have always had a little rake.[/QUOTE
              I believe you are right 3.73 I was thinking of my Yukon has the 3:42 in it. I have to have the trailer level. I hate seeing some one with a trailer riding on the rear axle. I spent lots of time getting my trailer to ride level eith our current trucks. thanks for the info.
              Thanks for the info. What trimax razor are you running. the 8" or 12" adjsutable drop.

Comment

I got the 12" adjustable drop which was needed for the Dorsey trailer that hauled the 22ve. Now I have a Boatmate trailer and could get away with the 8". It all depends on the height of the trailer tongue.

Comment

As soon as you put bigger tires you lower the ratio which means less towing capacity. Chevys for a long time had 3.73 and 4.10 then about the time the 5.3 came out they dropped it to 3.42 in order to get better fuel economy. I do not think they offer it any more but I may be wrong. It was a great gear ratio to have. I had a 1997 GMC Yukon 4x4 (Tahoe size) with the 5.7 (350ci) and 3.73 gears and it did well. I knew the boat was behind it but it towed well.
                  For towing purposes I would not go below a 3.55 ratio, however that is my opinion.

Comment

My 2008 Avalanche with 5.3L and HD towing pkg still has 3.73's (although it's still not enough). The 3.42's came in with the 6 speed.

Sent from my Passport

Comment

If you're looking for any towing parts, you can try Chariots GCS. They also have some sales in this period.

Comment

Working...
                      X